Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Phone Service as a Gift

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by SoCalWireless, Jan 21, 2002.

1. SoCalWireless

SoCalWireless New Member

I would like to purchase a phone (StarTak) for a friend but would like to take advantage of the reduced pricing if purchased with a contract. My friend will sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract but I have not been able to find a service that will allow me to just purchase the phone at the reduced price. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I am confused by the wording of your post. First you say you want to find a phone with a contract add then you say you want to find a phone without a contract.

If you buy a phone from a carrier without service, they will charge you full retail (which is more than the labeled/advertised price).

If you buy with a contract, some phones come with both carrier and manufacturer rebates. You'll have to speak to each carrier about which phones those might be.

Many very reputable individuals sell their phones on EBay, but some are not so reputable. Two recent experiences posted here indicated that when the buyer tried to activate the phone, he was told it was reported as stolen property and therefore it the vendor refused to activate it. The second experience was interesting. It was a model sold in Canada by Rogers/ATT, but not permitted on American networks by ATT Wireless. One way to protect yourself in this regard is to get the ESN number and check to ensure it is not "hot."

I would also advise you against WorldCom

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Try a gift certificate.

I'm sure the cell phone store would provide you some sort of certificate you could present to your friend which would allow him/her to obtain the phone (which you've paid for!) when they redeem it.

If the store is friendly, they might even allow you to take the (unactivated!) phone home so that you could give it personally to your friend who will then take it to the store and activate it on whatever plan they choose.

You would of course have to buy the phone -- but you said you wanted to do that anyway.....

Note that if the account is in your friend's name, they will have to complete the paperwork before the account will be activated. Unless of course you were really generous and bought the plan as well....