Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

phone insurance

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by pepster2, Aug 20, 2006.

1. pepster2

pepster2 New Member

My Phone:
    razr v3c
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel
    I just got a razr. When I was porting over number the guy on the phone talked me into the insurance at $7 per month. I asked several times what the deductable was. HE stated any where from 35 to 95 depending on what happened. This sounded strange as a floating deductable. He said a person is lucky to get 8 months out of a Razr. Went into store they had no paper work to read on warranty full detals, They said $50 deductable. Guy from customer call in said he thought it was $50 . Really not knowing what they are selling. Well I downloaded it from the insurance web site. Razrs have a 95 deductable and the insurance provider also charges a $3o processing fee. It also states phones will be replaced with new or either refurbished phone at their option. Said phones might have scraches but in working order. Just wondering, am I the only one or does this insurance seem like it is overpriced and really not provideing what the store says since you most likley will get a used phone back? At $7 per month then $95 deductable then $30 processing fee. It would not take too long till you have enough paid in to buy another NEW phone. It did cover things at lower deductable while under 12 month warrenty. Has anyone had there Razr more than 8 months and it working well? Figure the guy was just trying to make a sale. I always felt that buying a warranty is like betting the product you are buying is crap and not going to last.

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Yeah, I never go for the insurance. If the phone just screws up not as a result of a drop, water, or something like that, Motorola has a one year warranty on it anyway, at least for the E815 and I assume for the Razr. I figure if something does eventually mess up I can get a cheapo on ebay or from Alltel until I renew my contract.

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I haven't heard of too many issues with the V3c, so I don't know why he said that they only last 8 months. As a phone, the e815 is better but the RAZR isn't bad. Insurance is an extra fee, really, unless you have a habit of dropping your phone, getting it wet or unless you work in construction or something.

I'm very careful with my phones, so paying $7/mo doesn't make much sense, especially when you're talking about a $95 deductible and $30 processing fee.

However, at a full retail cost of $364.99, even after the $30 deductible and $30 processing fee, you would have to pay $7/mo for insurance for 34 months (almost three years) before you'd be even. So, having Product Guard on your RAZR will save you money if you have to replace your RAZR, unless you have to replace your RAZR at or after 34 months.

Most people don't have the same phone for more than two years, so it's more cost effective to have the insurance if you have a habit of dropping or soaking your phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have the insurance on my V3c and would not be without it. I have had to use it in the past a few times (about 5) and it has saved me more money than I spent on the insurance. But you may never need it. I have not used my car, home, or life insurance yet, but I would not be without them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Cingular's insurance is only $3.99 and I don't think there is a deductable.

I have it on the Razr and my other phones. I normally drop the insurance, when it gets close to getting a new phone.

The insurance covers incidents not covered by warranties. It depends how careful the user is with their phones.

6. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    the processing fee is only charged for the extended warranty part. if the phone is lost stolen or damaged its 95.00 plain and simple. if it has an electrical problem after the warranty is expired the processing fee is 35.00 with no extra deductible.

7. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for that info. The only thing I knew about it was the $95. Did not know about the $35 thing. thanks again Tech.

8. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    yeah. its cool to have your phone fry itself to save you the 95.00. you can also do insurance only or warranty only for lower prices. if you do insurance only its only 95.00 ded and 6.00 a month. if the phone has a problem after the warranty expires on this coverage, (stops powering on, electrical issue, software starts being crazy) then you are not covered at all. on the warranty only, its 2.00 a month and covers only the above mentioned. Extended warranty cliams are 35.00 proc fee.

9. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    So the insurance is not all I need now to make sure my phone is taking care of? Do I need to add the extended warranty too?

10. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    if you pay the 7.00 a month on a RAZR or high end phone or 5.00 a month on low end phone, then you have both already

11. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Tech! I got lost there for a min.. I do pay $7, so I guess I'm good to go on that one. But if it's a s/w or the like problem. Than it could cost 35 instand of the 95? Right? or did I get lost again?

12. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    That is correct. the store may try to get you to pay the 95.00 but they shouldn't

13. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Tech! Now I know what to do if the V3c does a meltdown and how much to pay for it.