Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

phone håcking - what does it really mean?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Telekom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    I've heard and read some stuff so I don't know what all happened as far as what "physically" happened with supposed voicemail "hacking" that happened in Great Britain. Some of what I've heard is that those involved in the hacking just applied default access codes noting that many people are careless about their voicemail and never changed the default code e.g. for T-Mobile the default voicemail passcode is the last four digits of your phone number.

I've also heard that this "hacking" can be accomplished by a non-secured voicemail box so that when you access voicemail from the phone you can choose to not require a passcode when accessing it. Not requiring the passcode means that someone could "spoof" caller ID to make it the same as your phone number and pose as the owner of the number and thus access the voicemail box.

Has anyone heard of what I've written above and does anyone know anything more than what I've heard?

Note: In reading my RSS feed I came across most of the answers to my query:

http://gizmodo.com/5822574/how-news-of-the-world-hacked-everybodys-phones

Turns out it's a bunch of stuff about caller ID spoofing and not changing default access codes that leaves a number vulnerable.

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Leaving default passwords for anything is probably the #1 way to get hacked for any system. I don't really get why this "News of the World" scandal is getting so much news coverage. I'm sure it's not the first time a news agency did something unscrupulous, they just happened to get caught :rolleyes:. Punish those involved and move on. Why's it splashed all over front pages everywhere :confused:

PS: "håcking "? Are you on a Swedish keyboard?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Its for this reason I don't even use the voicemail provided by my carrier. If unanswered my calls are forwarded to an alternate voicemail provider.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    I just like using the option key :)

1 person likes this.