Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

phone for tdma/gsm network

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

I am planning to move to cingular after being with sprintpcs for a long time and putting up with their customer service and their buggy phones. But after finding out that cingular network is comprised of both GSM and TDMA technology, I am confused as to what phone to get, there is no phone which supports both (I am not able to find). I live in NJ and work in NYC. Any help would be greatly helpfull.

Regards
    Raj

2. Guest

Guest Guest

If you live north of Mercer County, sign up with AT&T Wireless, otherwise Cingular TDMA.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I live and work in middlesex county and Cingualar TDMA works great for me here. Half the time I am on AT&T TDMA but since it doesn't cost me, I don't really care. I will consider a GAIT phone though when they start offering them, provided they make one that flips and covers the buttons... [​IMG]

GAIT is TDMA and GSM-compatible, in case you didn't hear. The first phones are just starting to pop up and hopefully AT&T and Cingular in NYC area will start supporting them soon as they roll out GSM in the area.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

So what is the best phone in cingular currently, (TDMA) for NYC and central Jersey ?

Raj

5. Guest

Guest Guest

well, I use a StarTac myself, but they don't sell them anymore... I've heard the dumb-looking Ericsson (with the rounded top and no antenna sticking up) works well... I'm quite disappointed that the only phone that closes to cover the buttons is the expensive motorola v60... it's a nice looking phone, but $250 is insane for a subsidized phone, and it's so tiny you can probably safely run it over if your tires have big enough treads and your aim is good... still, if i needed a new phone that's what I'd get... keypad locking is such a hassle IMO.

Honestly, if I was getting a new service (not in a rush) I might try to pick up AT&T's TDMA TimePort and get that hacked over to Cingular... or just pick up a StarTac 7797 used... I love mine.

6. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

I love my nokia 5165, I live in Mercer and work in Essex, The really cool thing the service is the same ATT/cingular. Although i think my next phone will be SonyEricsson T62U. I think NJ needs 2 yrs to straigthen itself out.

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Nokia phones work best for TDMA. So the 3360 or 8260 would be a great choice. Don't worry about GSM just yet. If you travel with a Cingular TDMA phone, you'll still get TDMA coverage where they have GSM coverage so you won't be out of reach. Maybe in a few years it will be worth getting a GSM phone in this country. GSM coverage doesn't compare to TDMA and analog coverage which GSM phones don't support. Although they are coming out with phones that support both GSM and TDMA like the Nokia 6340. Its looks may not appeal you but is the only choice we have so far. In the meantime I stay with my TDMA phone as it works everywhere I go in the US.

I don't recommend using an AT&T phone with Cingular especially if you travel over to Cingular territory in Central or South Jersey. They will work just fine in NYC and North Jersey where I live because both companies share the TDMA system, but in South Jersey AT&T uses 1900Mhz and Cingular uses 800Mhz so the phone would want to stick with 1900Mhz and it won't work because Cingular uses 800Mhz. So, you have to first unlock the phone from AT&T (change the SOC from 2049 to 3) so it prefers Cingular towers in South Jersey.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Raj, if Cingular TDMA is being activated in your region then I would recommend going with them. Hurry up because after July they may only activate GSM accounts being you are technically within the NYC Market. I do not think they are going to offer NEW customers the choice of going TDMA for accounts based in NYC/North Jersey. Bobolito, I hear you on the SOC issue but personally have not experienced any severe problems with my handsets not being able to handoff to 800 mhz a-band while in the Philly Area. In fact, I have found that while in Cingular territory it helps to manually select 'Extended Area' in order to prevent the connection from going back to 1900 mhz. I have YET to make an Analog call with my ATTWS phone, however.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    anonymous, that really depends on the phone. Like my phone is automatic for system selection and there's no way to force it where you want it to be. So if I put 2049 for the SOC in my phone it won't make any difference here in NYC area but when I go to south Jersey I won't be able to use it because it will automatically switch to 1900Mhz which is where AT&T operates in south jersey.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...