Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Phone for gf

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Vic Winters, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters New Member

After my recent run in with eBay, I now know better about making sure the phone works on the correct frequency for your provider. So now that I know what bands it has to have, I need to pick out a decent phone. Since its Christmas, I figured this would be the best time to get my girlfriend a new phone since her's is always cutting out and disconnecting. It was one of those free LG's you get when you sign a new contract. Anyways, I've been looking around and was curious about these phones:

Motorolla v220
    Motorolla v400
    Motorolla v600
    NEC 535
    Samsung SGH-X495

A wide range, I know. I'm looking for performance/reliability first, features a distant second. The calling area is anywhere between Erie, PA and Western NY. Any help is always appreciated.

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The Motorola V400 would be a great value, but the V600 is a nicer phone. The v600's have been pretty pricey (IMHO). I'm assuming her carrier is Cingular (or maybe T-Mobile?) you should pick up a Razr V3 for $99 from Cingular. Its a nice, durable phone with lots of features at a fantastic price. Functionally it is very similar to the V600.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters New Member

I've never seen a V3 for that cheap. Unless you sign up for the 2 year service agreement with Cingular.

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    That's why I said $99 from cingular. Wal-Mart has them for $68 with Cingular service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters New Member

She already has Cingular service. Her 2 year aagreement isn't up until sometime next year. She just needs a new phone since her LG has been giving her a hard time with reception, dropping calls and various other problems.

I checked out Phone Scoop, and got these rankings.

x-497 (3.5/5)
    v400 (3.46/5)
    v600 (3.34/5)
    535m (N/A) - Not yet released--????

Then I tried cNet, and got these.

x495 - (6.6/10 Editor) (7/10 User)
    v400 - (7.6/10 Editor) (6.8/10 User)
    v600 - (7.6/10 Editor) (5.7/10 User)
    535m - (7.3/10 Editor) (7.9/10 User)

Does anyone know about the 535m? Besides being on the larger size, it seems to be a pretty decent phone.

Like I stated earlier, my main focus is a phone that will get good reception, and not drop calls all the time.

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Ok, I wasn't aware she was not eligible for an upgrade.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters New Member

I've narrowed it down to the v600, the x495 and the 535m. The 535m and x495 are new in box, while the v600 has been slightly used. Any input?

8. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The v600 would be a fun phone for your g/f, being that you can change the color of the faceplate and battery cover to something she likes...

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'd pick the V600 as well from those choices.