Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Phone compatibility

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by tourman, Feb 24, 2002.

1. tourman

tourman Member

I own a motorola v60 and using AT&T sevice.I live on Long Island and may be moving to Albany,NY area in next few months.AT&T does not have service in that area.My question is if I switch to Verizon can I use my V60 phone or will I have to buy a Verizon phone?

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

You will have to buy a Verizon phone since ATT and Verizon run off of two diffent signals.

3. skipaddler

skipaddler New Member

AT&T uses Time Division Multiple Access technology while Verizon uses Code Division Multiple Access technolgy. Your phone is not compatible.
    Cingular in the Albany area is quite good. AT&T uses Cingular's network. I suggest sticking with AT&T with a plan for Upstate.

4. tourman

tourman Member

Hey everyone thank you for responding.How about my AT&T v60 switching to Cingular.Will that system be compatible?Thanks.

5. tourman

tourman Member

Also another question.What is a better system,Verizon or Cingular?

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I wasn't aware that Cingular was even doing business in New York. When you ask about systems, you need to consider your own circumstances. If all you will use a cell phone for is local use where the carrier provides service, then it is inconsequential to you that it doesn't work in Hicksville. However, if you plan on using the phone to travel, you will want to consider a carrier that has true national service.

Cingular uses both TDMA and GSM. It is actively changing all its markets to GSM. Verizon, across the board, is CDMA, so you are less likely to find yourself roaming on someone else's network.

7. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    << Hey everyone thank you for responding.How about my AT&T v60 switching to Cingular.Will that system be compatible?Thanks. >>

While Cingular and AT&T both use TDMA, your phone will be locked to AT&T. To get it to work with Cingular, you would have to get the unock code from AT&T and have Cingular reprogram it and activate it on their system.

Getting an unlock code for a phone from a provider is not always an easy thing to do.

8. tourman

tourman Member

Thanks all...........

9. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Kevin....Cingular offers service in upstate NY and has for a while...in the tri-state area (I know I keep saying this) they are planning to start with GSM coverage very soon.

10. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Thanks Dobby. I know they've been working to meet their (13) state expansion promise. Something to do with an FCC mandate. I never quite understood what was happening there. This may not even be related.

11. Pauley

Pauley New Member

[​IMG] I have a Nokia 6185 phone (CDMA/PCS/AMPS)- Can Verizon activate this phone? they're giving me a hard time and I know they can activate the 5185 also a CDMA/PCS/AMPS phone. And why can't Sprint activate this phone?

12. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Because Sprint and Verizon won't do that with their phones...especially since in some areas they run on different CDMA frequencies.

13. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Verizon phones are almost exclusively tri-mode now (800 AMPS/CDMA, 1900 CDMA). Sprint uses dual mode (800 AMPS, 1900 CDMA) for most of their phones, while some are tri-mode (Sprint's network is 1900 CDMA--you roam on other 1900 CDMA networks and analog).

Generally, the phones will both work on each other's networks. As far as economics goes, most companies would probably prefer if you brought your own phone--it usually takes 2 years to make up for the subsidy on new phone prices and the cost of gaining a customer. The problem is that they don't want you to be able to use your phone on someone else's network... they're trying keep their customers. If you buy one of their phones, then THEY control what service the phone works on. They have the unlock codes for the phones.

I think its going to depend on the rep you talk to and what he's willing to do. If you have an unlocked phone, then you might talk him into letting you use your phone on their network--It really shouldn't be a problem. They would probably want a contract with a termination fee--but you may even talk them out of it. If you're trying to bring a phone from another network that is still locked, then good luck trying to get your old carrier to unlock your phone.

You'll generally have better luck using a phone that the company sells. I've been told that Verizon has had poor performance with Nokia phones. At the time the local store didn't want to carry the 5185. Nokia doesn't use the Qualcomm CDMA chip, so it performs differently. Basically, they don't want to be responsible if you can't get coverage in certain areas.

Here's a good article on the economics of the major wireless companies:
    http://www.theneteconomy.com/article/0,3658,a=24301,00.asp

14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Any TDMA phone should work on either Cingular or AT&T system without getting an unlock code. Unlock codes are for Sprint phones only as far as I know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

A friend of mine lost several phones which were on Cingular, and couldn't put in another insurance claim. He took a used AT&T phone up to the Cingular agent at the local mall, and he was able to reprogrma it somehow. The way I heard the story, some kind of unlocking was necessary, but the guy had "fun" cracking the phone. My friend has used this phone for months now with no problem, but I think it still says AT&T and Roam instead of Cingular and Cingular [Roam|Extended]. It's not a model of phone that I think was ever used by Cingular (Mitsubishi, often offered free to new AT&T customers). It does work, and I believe he actually has less problems with his rogue phone than I have with my Startac that says Cingular right on it... So, I've seen the AT&T-&gt;Cingular thing done and it works. Good luck.

16. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    It can it is just getting someone that will do it. Also for the orig. poster if you are going verizon go a lg or qualcomm/kyocera phone

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...