Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

philadelphia, NY what is the best service?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm going to be moving to Philadelphia soon and want to know which wireless service is the best for me. I wil be going to college there is the University city area. I also will be traveling to NYC. I probably will want a regional or national plan. I've had cingular for a while but that's in Tampa, FL. It sounds like their services isn't all that up north. Any suggestions?

2. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

I dont know about philly but as far as NJ and NY and NYC and CT areas I have had sprint for a year and service is top notch. hopefully someone from philly can give you a personal opinion on that area.

Verizon is also known to be good in this area as well

3. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I heard Voicestream service is "terrific" in NYC from a friend.

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hello Anonymous,

I am a 2+ year VS customer in DC/Virginia, but I am often in PA and NJ as that's where all of my fmaily resides. We all have VS (that's about 10 of us) and are happy. Most of us use the family plan, but it sounds like you are in school so you probably don't need that. The last time I was in downtown Philly I was a bit to your east - South Philly about 6 blocks southwest of City hall, a mile or so from UC. Service there was fine. Are you going to Drexel or UPenn? Also, while I don't go to NYC, I have good service in northeastern NJ, Bergen County, although I know that isn't quite the same!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizon, Voicestream, or Sprint would all be good in the Philly/NYC areas as long as you stick basically to the urban areas and major roads in between.

If you start to get away from civilization (central PA, upstate NY) Verizon will provide service in more places. Voicestream will probably fail you first (no analog roaming on Voicestream and limited to no GSM service in some of those markets) and you will be roaming on Sprint (can get expensive).

If central PA is important, you may want to stay away from the Verizon AC plan. I have a National plan so offnet VZ roaming isn't an issue, but I understand there are substantial places in central PA where you roam with the VZ AC plan.

6. aiwapro

Anonymous what are you saying?

You said this: "Voicestream will probably fail you first (no analog roaming on Voicestream and limited to no GSM service in some of those markets) and you will be roaming on Sprint (can get expensive)."

How can Voicestream roam on Sprint. What are you talking about. They have two totally different networks.

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

he wasnt saying that. his wording left something to be desired but i think his point was that:

voicestream would fail you first as once you are off their network of GSM&partners you cant analog roam

and then he continued to say that with sprint you would roam and it would cost you money.

all this in reference to some of the rural areas in this market.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey everyone thanks for replying. It seems like voicestream is a good idea for the philly area since that is where i will be residing mostly, however I am a little leary of the NYC area. Does anyone have any experience with voicestream in Queens?

9. aiwapro

I will try to contact me friend and see how frequently he visits that area? Is Queens close to NYC, I'm not familiar with the area.

My friend has been a Voicestream customer for over two year and he says that his Voicestream service is "terrific."

10. aiwapro

Ok, my friend just sent me a text message and said service in Queens is "Mostly good."

11. Guest

Guest Guest

queens is part of NYC

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    For the NYC area Sprint and Verizon are the Kings. For Philly, I know Cingular works good but I cannot tell you about the others. I used to work in Philly around Univ. of Science area and I couldn't complain.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular is KING here in Philly.

14. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cingular is good in the region but the people that work for them are VERY RUDE. They told me I wasted their time, and told my friend something very very good (she will know switch to verizon) and I did go to verizon. Here in Delaware Verizon is the best (Cingular=#2), if you ever want to leave the philly area, do not use ATT or VS! Their coverage here sucks....so don't travel south with them!

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I wonder what the situation was with those rude Cingular employees...I have found some that are incompetent and don't know what they are talking about but over the dozens of times I have called 611 I haven't encountered anyone rude. I live in NJ so when I call 611 I am connected to their Philly/DE customer service.
    Just to give you a laugh, one of them told me once that Cingular uses Verizon towers here in NJ...lol
    Another time a guy from a Cingular store told me that they use CDMA....When I hear those things I wonder why is it that I don't make more money!
    I go to them for help, not for them to get help from me!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

are talking about but over the dozens of times I have called 611 I haven't encountered anyone rude. I live in NJ so when I call 611 I am connected to their Philly/DE customer service.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Philly Customer Service was HORRIBLE up through August when Cingular CLOSED down the Cellular One Call Center outfit here in Philly. All calls to customer service from this region are routed to a call center in Lousiana. I have found the representatives there to be more helpful than the Cell-One Philly representatives, although one cannot dismiss the incompetancy that is still present with Cingular Customer Care. Not to sound cheauvanistic, but most of the female representatives who work for Cingular are dim-witted. Now days I don't call into customer care (used to call regularly when the account first opened just to clarify certain points) unless an ESN change needs to be performed. The last time I called into the center I was told my SOC was changed to 3 from 4, it would have been nice if someone notified me in January when this occured. I guess billing wise there wouldn't have been a difference.

17. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    They really are so RUDE! I mean they told my cousin and I both we wasted their time cuz we were looking at some of their plans....just cause we weren't 18. Umm doesn't mean we wouldn't have come down with our parents.....anyway we went to Verizon and vowed NEVER to go with Cingular. With my friend....her phone was stolen...and they fixed her up with a new 5165 very nicely....at which time she paid her bill for the last month....and 2 days later they cut her service off. They said they never received the 2.00 fee that she should have paid at the store, why should she have paid a charge to pay at the store? They never told her about it.....they even called her stupid. And this is a girl who TALKS (has a bill around 100$ a month), so Verizon gets a good customer in August! [​IMG]

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When was the SOC changed to 4? I replaced my phone last month and they told me it was 3. I wonder if they misinformed me.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I was told my SOC was changed to 3 from 4,
    ----------

Apparently the change occured in January., to SOC 3, did not notice any notable difference service wise.

20. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

I use Verizon in Philly, even though I just got my phone on Thursday, my parents have had Verizon since like 1996 (formerly Bell Atlantic Mobile). I dont directly live in Philly, but I work in Philly, and I live right outside and I have heard nothing bad about Verizon. My neighbor had Cingular, and just switched because it was horrible, so don't go there. I suggest Verizon!! Not too expensive, reliable, and great products.

21. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

How do you like your Kyocera 2235?

22. kyocera2235verizon

Oh I absolutely love my 2235, its awesome, and the battery is so great! I leave it on for like 3 days straight and it still says its at full battery. The games are fun, the calls are clear, and its very useful.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Sprint does not work as well in Staten Island which is part of NYC. My ex girlfriend had it and it was horrible. I have to say that Verizon is the best!

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Anonymous, the SOC tells the phone which tower to register with in case there are two TDMA providers in the same area. So more than likely you won't see any difference with the change.

kyocera2235verizon, I don't understand your previous post. First you say "I have heard nothing good about Verizon" and then "I suggest Verizon!! Not too expensive, reliable, and great products"

25. kyocera2235verizon

lol sorry, I meant to say that I have heard nothing bad about verizon, but now I fixed the post. Good lookin out!

26. Guest

Guest Guest

MY KYOCERA BATTERY ONLY LAST FOR 2 DAYS EVEN AFTER FULLY CHARGED![​IMG]

27. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I have a Kyocera 2135 and my battery doesn't last too long either!!