Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

People’s options on Sprint SERO wanted.

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by bartelsse, Dec 3, 2007.

1. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I want to here people’s options on the Sprint SERO plans excluding the mobile broadband cards & the Direct Connect® unlimited plan. If all possible give some pros & cons. Only first hand experience is wanted so please no “my friend said this”. I also would like to know what Power Vision is. Thanks for any information in advance.

2. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

SERO is the best thing going in the wireless industry, as far as plans, I would say the only downside would be if you don't have decent Sprint coverage where you live, or have the need to call CS 10x a day. If those thing apply to you then Sprint should not be an option for you.

3. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks Lenny for your option.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I used SERO personally this past summer and returned it. The plans are great, but the overall experience, from when the package was dropped off at my door until I returned my service was not very good.
    I had activation problems, equipment exchange problem, equipment failure problems, Major Customer Service issues, Billing issues, my Plan wasn't set up correctly and coverage in my area was not good. Another member of this forum has had some of those exact same issues, he is now back with his origininal carrier.
    IF Sprint coverage in your area is good then you may want to consider giving it a try, just know that you WILL have some bumps in the road- it may be worth it for you, it may not be, but the SERO plans are unbeatable, price wise, at least.

5. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    I love mine!

See my signature for what I got.

I set my phone to 'Sprint Only', and it works great!

Whats your location, that will help us a lot in determining your coverage/service.

Also I have not majour complaints with CS - I use the Employee Accounts which is great. And when they are closed I use Business Care.

So... its much better IMO, than AT&T/Cingular (who was my previous provider)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thats sounds like a good match. My location is Northern NM 87505

7. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Per Sprint's coverage map.

Native service looks good, and lots of roaming around you. So it looks as though you are covered.

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Visit SprintUsers.com Message Forum for more information on Sprint (its a dedicated Sprint discussion board - I am a member there (PCSuser).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the sprint users forum link I will check it out.

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I don't think that native service looks all that great. There are a lot of areas with not so great native service, and although roaming is available, it is a pain to have your call drop, then have the phone switch over to roaming, and re-initiate the call. The best roaming in the world cannot make up for a lousy local native network. I tried having roaming make up for a not so stellar native network in my area and I got too frustrated with dropped/missed calls. I would not chose a PCS carrier in NM. Their native coverage is far behind that of the two cellular companies, especially that of ALLTEL.

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No Andy not everyone will have bumps in the road. Each person's experiences will vary. I have helped dozens of people sign up for SERO and have received a lot of positive feedback. There have been a few cases of minor problems but most went off without a hitch.

11. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    I've had SERO since March of this year and love it. In fact, I've had many close to me switch over to Sprint and they absolutely love everything that comes with it... above all, the price is unbeatable!

That said, each carrier can have its issues. I've had all of the major providers and I've had trouble with all of them from coverage to billing problems. No carrier is perfect. Yes, I've had problems with my SERO plan that were a bit frustrating but they were eventually fixed. The bottom line is, I'm paying $35~ after taxes for something I really should be paying close to $70 or $80. To do what I do with my Sprint phone would cost a fortune with another carrier.

When deciding on a wireless provider, you should probably take the following into consideration in this particular order. (anyone following this feel free to add to/re-order this)

1. Coverage. Is there native coverage where you spend 90% of your time? For the other 10%, is there coverage available either through roaming agreements or native service? If you will be spending the majority of your time roaming, it's probably best just to go with the carrier you will be roaming off of.

2. Price. How much will you be paying per month. How much are the activation fees? Taxes? What are overages like? How much are data plans? When do nights and weekends start? Find out all the facts first! If you can't find the information online, call!

3. Equipment. What kind of phones does the carrier offer? What features do you need? Does the carrier offer what you are looking for?

4. Friends/Family. What service do they have? Will you be able to use features like M2M when you talk to them? Have they had any problems? The people who use the network locally are a great resource of information!

12. Kalimotxo

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Yes, you do hear a lot on the forums about people having all kinds of problems with SERO. But remember that this is a fraction of the total amount of SERO users. Very few people are going to take their time to post about how great their experiences have been and how they haven't had any problems to date. I know several people who have signed up for the plans and have not had a bit of trouble.

13. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks Wumpusva I will need to take all that into consideration

14. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Here's a little bit about my experience with Sprint and SERO. My final verdict: definitely buy it if you are within Sprint coverage. Remember, you can try it for 30 days and if you don't get coverage at your house/work/etc. you can cancel within the 30 days and not pay an early termination fee. I suggest you try it, and if the trial goes well, stick with it. Obviously don't just sign up for this and have no backup plan if you don't get Sprint coverage, etc.

I had T-Mobile for 13 months and switched to Sprint's 500-minute SERO plan when my T-Mobile contract expired because of the price. I had relatively few problems with T-Mobile, so I was not dissatisfied or anything, but I saw that I was paying $52 per month including tax and felt like I could get a better deal with Sprint. The bottom line is that the price in unbeatable: $35 per month include tax.

With T-Mobile I had 1500 minutes with no free mobile-to-mobile and no free nights/weekends for $39 per month + tax. I never once went over my minutes, but used almost all of them (about 1200) on average. Sprint's SERO is only 500 minutes, but it includes free mobile-to-mobile and free nights/weekends starting at 7pm. The nights/weekends at 7pm was the closer for me. Free nights at 9pm doesn't really help me, but free nights at 7pm is an incredible feature I now cannot live without. Since I switched to Sprint in June, I have never once gone over my minutes, and I use an average of about 250 miuntes from my plan (plus about 750 free night/weekend minutes).

Free text messaging was another closer for me. With T-Mobile, I paid an extra $5 to get 400 texts per month. I don't text a lot, but I do sometimes and as soon as you send about 20 text messages, a plan is cheaper than paying for messages individually. I knew I needed some text messaging plan, even if it was the cheapest plan, no matter which carrier I chose. Since Sprint's SERO includes unlimited text messaging, I was set. I value this at $5, because if unlimited text messaging wasn't included, I would only get the cheapest $5 plan for however many texts that would get me. But hey, saving $5 per month is definitely worth it.

T-Mobile's customer service strategy is be sweet and friendl, answer the phone right away, and maybe offer free minutes in extreme cases. Sprint's strategy for complaints is to give you good compensation -- credits to your bill -- to make up for their lack of promptness and professionalism (some call centers are overseas in India or somewhere, unlike T-Mobile). The day I received my phone I called CS and spoke with a woman about the accessories promised not being included. She said she needed to research it and would call me back. About 30 minutes later, she called me back and credited me $25 to my bill for the missing data cable that was advertised on the website but not included in the box, saying if I had to pay more for a cable than $25 she could credit me more with proof of purchase from a local electronic retailer. I never purchased a cable, but took it as a free month of service. :) The wait times for calling Sprint are ridiculous, though. It could be 20 minutes before they answer during regular hours of the day. If you must call, call at night during "off-peak" times, so you can get through right away. They also have online customer service from their website -- you can chat with them right away or you can just send an email and they will reply right away or they will call you. Knowing that they have online/email customer support sets me at ease enough. I referred a friend to Sprint, but the automated referral system wouldn't work when I entered their phone number. I emailed Sprint and they credited me $25. I also emailed them about poor coverage when I moved and they credited me $25 again. Plus, I was credited $5 for signing up for paperless billing, which I was going to do anyway. When your monthly bill is only $35, those credits are very, very large. In other words, this is the first month I've paid anything to Sprint on my monthly bill since signing up in June.

As for Power Vision, it just means unlimited data access from your phone. You can send/receive picture messages as well as use the mobile web and use free downloadable applications like Gmail and Google Maps without any data usage fees. I like this for when I am bored between my classes. I use Google Reader to subscribe to news/blogs I like, then I can read them for free on my cell phone. You can also watch YouTube for free, etc. Anything you can get to from the Internet is free. Sprint also offers about 10 free radio stations on the phone, so that is nice sometimes as well. Power Vision is not something I would pay for (because I am too cheap) but it is definitely nice to have.

An additional advantage of Sprint is that you can force roaming whenever you want. If you are in building with poor Sprint coverage, you can force the phone to roam to get better coverage. This is not possible with T-Mobile. If you are in a large building without T-Mobile coverage, but that building is in a city that T-Mobile does cover, T-Mobile won't allow you to roam. Sprint's policy of always allowing roaming just gives additional reassurance of coverage because between Sprint and Verizon, you ought to be covered pretty much anywhere.

15. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Also let's not forget Alltel. They have a very extensive rural network and Sprint has a very friendly roaming agreement with them just about everywhere and this includes EV-DO roaming as well. :)

16. TommyB

TommyB Member

Sprint SERO . . .

Very nice evaluation.

Best.
    TB

17. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks nick2588

18. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Coming from me bottom line is what everyone else seems to be saying give it a try. I personally have as much experience with these plans or if not more than most here. I am trying to get some time aside to tell my story. lol.

19. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Um remember nothing is perfect so something will come up once in a while.

20. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I was considering one month tests at one time I think that I will do it now.

21. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think that's a good idea. No matter how many reviews you read, you can never really know how it works until you try it yourself. You may have a good experience, it may be the worst ever. I did the same thing when I switched to Sprint. My T-Mobile contract expired around the middle of July and I signed up for Sprint SERO and started my trial at the end of June. That way, I was able to have both services concurrently and compare them side by side for about two weeks. I also forwarded all my calls on T-Mobile to my new Sprint phone so I would get calls on it (because obviously nobody knows the new number so I wouldn't really be using the new Sprint phone otherwise).

Tip: Sprint charges for call forwarding, so this doesn't work if you have Sprint and want to change to someone else! Just make sure call forwarding is free with your current carrier before you use it as part of your trial experience. ;-)

22. decypher44

decypher44 New Member

Excellent write-up! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    you and i actually were in the exact same situation......i had T-Mobile for a little under a year and I wanted to switch because of money issues really........but i was totally satisfied with T-Mobile..........switched to Boost........they sucked...........switched to Sprint and it's the best decision i've ever made.........but if I had to drop Sprint T-Mobile would be my first choice

24. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Oh, I agree. T-Mobile and Sprint SERO are the only price-competetive options available in my opinion. However, I'm thinking this is going to start changing as the cell phone market gets more and more saturated.

I'll also say that T-Mobile had better phones than Sprint -- my Samsung m510 cost $30 or something and was a step down from my free Samsung t809 slider phone that I got when I signed up with T-Mobile.

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    T-Mobile def had the better selection but Sprint is getting better and I think they are moving towards phones that are more "smart" moving away from regular phones in the traditional sense.......they are trying to encourage people to take advantage of the extensive data network

26. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the help. I'm now sold on the SERO plans now, I am just trying to find a phone that fits my needs so i will throw some phone names out to see options (will be a mix between Direct Connect & PDA/Smartphone, listed in alphabetical order,)
    HTC Mogul™
    Motorola i880
    Motorola MOTO Q™ 9c
    Motorola The Deluxe™ ic902

27. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I was actually talking to someone echoing what you are talking about the other day sprint does have great smart devices.

28. Kalimotxo

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    If you really need the walkie-talkie feature, get it.

If you don't need it and you are just going to get it but not plan to use it a lot I recommend staying away from all things iDen. You will find a plethora of information around the internet on various problems with the hybrid phones.

29. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    There might be a time in the future were I would like to possibly have the walkie-talkie feature. I have heard that the hybrid phones are not that great especially with roaming.

30. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well there virtually is no roaming because the hybrids dont have 800MhZ which is crucial to most carriers but even though they do have 1900 i dont think they can roam.........i would def do the Mogul for now........iDEN is getting worse and worse every day.................the Mogul will allow you to take advantage of the EV-DO network to its fullest where you just cant with the hybrids........