Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

PennState, IMMIX info

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by blasimon, Mar 16, 2006.

1. blasimon

blasimon New Member

Hey,

I'm going to move from Canada to PennState in the fall. I'll live close to campus. I want to get a cell phone as my only phone.

I saw IMMIX's offers for unlimited incoming, which seems good to me considering that:
    - I don't care about nationwide long distance rate/minutes.
    - I don't plan on going out of the area that much (so roaming isn't much of a factor).
    - I just want a phone: no mp3 thingnies, downloading, etc.

As anyone had experience with IMMIX? I tried to look for reviews of their service and couldn't find much. how's the reception within Centre County?

If you don't like it, what else would you suggest? I have absolutely no experience with US providers. Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The times I've been around that area (few months ago) I've noticed their network is weak, plus they use an outdated codec which garbles a lot. That was my impression the few times I've been around there. It might've changed by now. They are a 1900-only carrier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile used to roam on Immix (f/k/a/ Conestoga) exclusively in that area, even though they had licenses. In 2005 (before football season) they put up a bunch of towers in town so they would not have to pay Immix roaming. I've heard Immix charged TM a big fee for roaming, and weren't too happy to see TM turn off that spigot.

Attached Files:

• psu.png
      psu.png
      File size:
      38.3 KB
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. blasimon

blasimon New Member

So I guess as long as I stay around PSU, Immix wouldn't be that bad of a choice for me? I guess I'll have to find someone who uses it and try it out to see if the quality is acceptable.

I saw that T-Mobile offers a regional plan in the PennState area that would suit me well.. is the coverage better for T-Mobile users now that the towers are there?

Thanks for the replies!

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile mostly roams off Immix (and a bit of Cingular) in that area once you get outside of State College. Check coverage at http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage and you can get maps similar to the one I posted.

6. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    From what I've heard from posters on here is that Cingular is the best around there (Well ATT was anyway), closely followed by Verizon. I haven't seen that poster around anymore, busy since he graduated I guess and now works for a major cell carrier. It can't hurt to try IMMIX, but if it doesn't work well, return it within the timeframe they specify.

7. blasimon

blasimon New Member

I'll probably give Immix a try and switch to one or the other if it doesn't work. :) I'll check both Cingular and T-Mobile then.

Thanks for all the advice!

8. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Oh, I'm still around ;)

And yes, Conestoga, AKA Immx is terrible. Many on-campus buildings are lacking, as well as off-campus apartments.

Honestly I would save yourself the trouble and go right for Cingular, the Cingular Blue (formerly ATT) network is unbeatable. (You can check my web site for some of their tower locations) There's practically a cell site on every building (Other carriers all blast signal into the campus from the perimeter). They also deal well with the capacity issues that home football games bring. Verizon holds its own, but has some capacity problems during game weekends. Nextel has slighty less coverage but handles capacity well.

Hope that helps.

9. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

In some Forums they say that the New Codec
    Just Increases the Calling Capacity of GSM
    to Compete with CDMA.

10. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Good to see you around still :)

11. NFrabbit

NFrabbit Member

My Phone:
    motorola RAZZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If you can wait until you actually get to State College you could ask around and see what other students are using and whether they are satisfied or not.

Also, congratulations on going to one of the great colleges in this country. My daughter graduated from there and loved it. If you can get me two tickets to any football game next fall in payment for this reply I would appreciate it. :)