Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Pay as you use plans/phones?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by dandelos, Nov 27, 2016.

1. dandelos

dandelos New Member

I've been on the typical annual cell phone plans with Tmobile and then Verizon now for over a decade, so have not really been paying attention to "pay as you go" options. I have some relatives who live outside of the US, but will be spending 1-2 months at a time in the US over the next few years. It would thus not make sense for them to maintain a monthly or even annual contract with a provider. Are there still any viable "pay as you go" options that might be good options for them?

I know in the UK, Australia, and parts of South East Asia, you can purchase SIM cards that come loaded with $x of credit (and/or data). They also come with predetermined phone numbers. The numbers and credit expire after x months of activation, unless you reload or top the account up with more credit.

Is there anything similar in the US?

2. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Tracphone

3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    T-Mobile allows to buy a SIM ( and phone number) and do pay as you go. I think you buy it with an initial set of minutes and data and then add as you like. I've did a few times myself. No commitments, and bring your own GSM phone if you wish.

Just go to a store or on line to buy. The way I remember there is no expiration date on the minutes and it last for months, longer if you add a few bucks now and then.

I don't know about AT&T selling just the SIM but I haven't looked in a while. They did have a phone package that was pay as you go.

T-Mobile seems the most hassle free as of a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I was curious, and yes one can buy the ATT 'Go Phone' SIM for your phone, and gear a voice and data plan on a monthly basis.

Just compare the various carriers ( GSM, T-Mobile and ATT) that would suit your overseas visitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

palandri likes this.
  5. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I've had an AT&T Go Phone SIMS card in the past. I think I've seen them in Best Buy stores now or you can call AT&T and order one, which is what I did last time to use on my work phone.

This goes back a ways, but they use to allow you to put your number on vacation for $5 a month, if it was going to inactive for a while, so you wouldn't lose your number. I don't know if they still allow that or not.

@KevinJames use to work for AT&T and probably has more details. If he pops in this thread,

viewfly likes this.
  6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I did indeed work for ATT but in one of their corp offices and not in mobile, but rather in Information Technology (I.T.). I have no experience with pay-as-you-go plans, so I'd be of no help. However, I would ask dandelos to expand on the statement: "Are there still any viable ....." In this context, what in your mind is "viable"? In a list of "pros and cons," what would be your "pros"?

Prepaid phones are offered in Amazon, Walmart, many pharacies, some grocery stores, and other small retailers. If dandelos is looking specifically for services that can be started and stopped at will and without penalties, all the carriers have such. Make sure to read the fine print.

The links below all go to Amazon as SAMPLES of what is available.

Go Phone

Net10

Red Pocket

TracPhone

There are others.

palandri, dmapr and viewfly like this.
  7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Most of the prepaid services are shifting to monthly service; you pay X dollars and get unlimited text and voice calling and a data bucket. There are a few that allow you to pay per minute or per MB/GB, but if you are interested in any kind of data, prepaid monthly service is the way to go.

I know that Tracfone and T-Mobile have SIM kits that can be bought separately if you have a device.

Plenty of MVNOs to choose from as mentioned above.

Personally, I do have a Tracfone SIM in a smartphone with the triple minutes promotion. $20 yields me 180 minutes, 180 texts, and 180 MB of data. Ideal for very light use. Airtime expires after 90 days unless you refill before then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri and viewfly like this.
  8. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
  9. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    A bit old and it's my first post in years, but my younger son has a Axon 7 and loves it on Cricket. 35.00 a month unlimited talk and text and 2.5 gb of data, on ATT network.
    Other son is on Tracphone, but they have him using over 1gb a data per day, with the device off. Trying to figure that one out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Sounds like there's a clone SIM card or phone on your other son's

11. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    2nd that opinion (about cloned card). You can't use data if the phone is off. AND, one gig per day is pretty hefty! I just got a Verizon prepaid 1GB plan to use with a wireless hotspot when I'm in hospitals. I've had it on only a few times for less than 10 minutes and have only used 3MB. Further, I am actually an ATT subscriber (for over a decade). My MONTHLY usage is barely 3GB and that's with 2 phones and constant usage.

12. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    My mother in law was able to use 1 gig in a day by watching youtube. I believe it took her about 8 hours of watching to get up to that.