Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- Pants on fire

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Aug 24, 2012.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I tried to get PhoneDog to do an article (to spawn discussion) but they wouldn't touch it. I am truly curious though... Have you ever had a your phone catch fire or start smoking while in your pocket? I have had my smartphone get so hot, I had to take it out of pants pocket. There are videos on youtube showing people whose smartphones started smoking or even caught fire. So what about you? Has that ever happened to you or someone you know?

[video=youtube;AIRXDeEzlcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIRXDeEzlcw[/video]

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    I've never had a phone that got very hot. My Sirius Radio unit gets extremely hot though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Never had a phone catch fire. But have had some phones get so hot that they started malfunctioning. It was due to my body heat and air temps when I lived in AZ. Now I use a pouch with belt clip which helps keep it cooler. :)

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hey Budney: You make a good point and it is one I've actually warned my wife about because she carries her phone in the front pocket of her jeans. Those tight quarters prevent the heat from dissipating and I suspect it was exactly what happened to the guy in the video. I don't intend to be an alarmist. If those reading this thread feel there may be a lesson here, then yes I'd recommend the solution you proposed--use a belt clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Joe! Bummer about the satellite radio device. That actually sounds like a defective unit (unless it is because it is sitting on the dashboard and it is getting hot from concentrated heat from the sun hitting the windshield). You might try making a tent from a small piece of cardboard to shield the device and see if it runs cooler. (But check the cardboard to make sure it is not displaying burn marks. Last thing you need is a fire on your windshield!)

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have never had a phone get that hot but I have had the power plug and cord get extremely warm in some receptacles while charging, and not just the phone ones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I remember AMD laptops getting recalled for getting too hot. I think people had flames come through the keyboard. It was a while ago, probably about 10 years ago.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    My work laptop, Dell Inspiron had to get a battery replacement. I believe there were certain batteries that were affected.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

8. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Now that you mentioned it, I remember reading about that.

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    My RAZR MAXX gets hot in the summer with the display turned all the way up!!!!! And the battery life takes a dive as a result... The phone was 116 degrees in my pocket!

10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Quin101: Yeah, pants pockets seem to concentrate the heat from the phone. At least that has been my experience.

11. theraven146

theraven146 New Member

This is completely new to me. Pant pockets concentrating the heat from phone and in turn phone on fire. Never heard about that before and never experienced it. But sure heard about cars catching fire while placed in the sun for a long time.

12. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    These phones work on magic smoke. Once you let the smoke out, they never work again.

13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi theraven146: Perhaps my choice of words was a bit sloppy. Its not that pants pockets have some inherent trait. It is that the heat generated by the battery cannot dissipate as readily as it can when exposed to the open air. I don't know if you use your pockets to hold your phone. If you have and your phone has never felt unusually hot when you take it out, then all I can say it good for you. The video I posted is not the only time I've actually heard of this happening. I usually use a belt clip but there have been times I just stuck my phone in my pocket and it started to feel very hot. I don't claim to be a scientist--just my personal observations.