Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Pantheon Service---> Unlimited cellular useage for $10/mo

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by DandyDon, Dec 30, 2004.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Interesting story. Could this be legal, taking advantage of Mobile to Mobile?

Full Story: http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,66124-2,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't know about you....but that sounds sort of fishy to me. :hmm:

If it does happen, then I don't know why people would switch to that company since if a lot of your friends have the same carrier that you do, then why switch. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TravelingWomen

TravelingWomen New Member

Hi, DandyDon

I, too, am VERY intrigued by this new way of using VoIP.

This technology is just another way to use Voip, so I think it is legal. If I am using one of my cell phones to call another within my family plan, how are they to know that I am actually calling my computer?

Vonage doesn't have the technology for cell phone access. Plus I hate paying Vonage $25 a month just to use their equipment to tap into my cable connection.

I posted a question on a new thread asking for info about it. Here's the text.

"There is a new way for me to severely slash my cell phone bill by using Voip technology. I'm hoping someone on this board can let me know if the company selling it is to be relied upon or - better yet - if someone has actually used the product.

The product name is Pantheon Voip sold by www.Xcelis.com

Equipment needed:
    A broadband internet connection.
    A Pantheon box connected to my cable and my computer.
    A bluetooth phone. This bluetooth is a phone set up with a separate number on a family plan connected to my main cell phone.

The gist of how it would work:
    While in my car or wherever, I use my cell phone to call the bluetooth phone set up in my home.
    Since this bluetooth phone is on my family plan, zero minutes are charged. (Works only if I am not in roaming.)
    The bluetooth phone connects me to Voip.
    I dial the number I really want - anywhere in mainland US or Canada. Zero minutes.

Xcelis is a new company with a new product. I am hesitant to lay out big bucks unless I know this will really work.
    $250 for the equipment
    $40+ for an eBay bluetooth phone
    $10/mo for a one-year contract for a family plan

But I hope it does - my last cell phone bill was $170. I drive to all client appointments and use my cell phone constantly for work.

Comments welcome and appreciated! Thanks!"

4. TravelingWomen

TravelingWomen New Member

Hi, Gamer03

I don't think it is fishy. It is just new technology that allows my cell phone to tap into my expensive cable isp connection.

I would love to switch to this service once I find out if people have had success with it. I use my cell phone for work and use 1500+ minutes a month. 90% of the time, I am calling someone's land phone in their office or home.

Cell phones are everywhere and there are dozens of ways to use them. This particular technology may help people like me lots.

5. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    While it's probably not TECHNICALLY fraud, you can bet your bippy that starting, oh, NOW, there will be clauses in contracts forbidding you from using redialling services (perhaps for more than a certain percentage of your monthly allotment).

Now, I don't understand, TravelingWomen:

First of all, I think your estimate for an eBay Bluetooth phone, unlocked (because you could only use a GSM phone for this, CDMA carriers generally won't register ESNs in their databases unless they sell them), is extremely low... $80+ at the minimum, just doing some checking.

Amortised over a one year contract (which is about how long I think this business model will last) you are paying, at the minimum, $47.50 per month. You still have to pay for a cell phone plan, and your cable modem. That's another $50 for the family plan and $30 for the cable modem.

How is this saving you money?

Also, all carriers have in the fine-print that you cannot use a fixed line for mobile-to-mobile. If they see massive mobile-to-mobile activity from the same tower, eventually they will investigate, and they can terminate your service.

If it seems too good to be true...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...