Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Palm Pre 3G GSM Version

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by animedude123, Feb 11, 2009.

1. animedude123

animedude123 New Member

Hey,

I've seen videos and articles about the Palm Pre and so far I'm in love with it.

I was reading an article on Engadget about all its features recently and a part of it that said this:

"The phone will be released in at least two versions to start. The first, a Sprint exclusive, sports EV-DO Rev. A and 802.11b/g, as well as Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR and A2DP; the second model will get 3G GSM in place of EV-DO for sale in other parts of the world."

I'm not currently on Sprint (AT&T), so I was wondering if this 3G GSM version would work on AT&T.

I have no knowledge of cell network technology which is why I'm asking the question. The article also said that the Sprint version "can't be used on GSM networks overseas," which is also a little disappointing because I travel a lot.

If that 3G GSM version doesn't work on AT&T though, I have one more question.

Palm though said it would release on other networks in the US in 2010, and that is too far from now. So does anyone have any experience on the Sprint network? Is it any good? Once the Palm Pre comes out and I see some it more in action I might decide to switch to Sprint if it is a decent network.

Thanks for any info!

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello & welcome to WA. I hadn't read that a GSM version of the Pre was in the works.

As long as the GSM version has 850/900/1800/1900 GSM & 850/1900/2100 3G, it will work with AT&T & also overseas.

My Treo Pro is not carried by AT&T or any other US provider. I & others in the US, bought it directly from Palm & use it with AT&T.

Hope this helps :)

Palm850/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. animedude123

animedude123 New Member

Ok, thanks a lot for the info :D

So far I haven't seen any specific info on the frequency it will use, just that it is a 3G GSM verion of it.

Where I originally read about the 3G GSM version:
    Palm Pre: everything you ever wanted to know - Engadget

Another link I found while searching for the above link to post:
    There will be a GSM-friendly 3G Palm Pre - Engadget

The above one gives an update that the press release that mentioned the global version also said it "is listed as being intended for other regions...not served by Sprint"

"intended" - Hmm...Hope that means it will still be "useable" on AT&T.

4. lely

lely New Member

I don't think the Pre will be sold exclusively by Sprint. From what I have read it will be exclusively with Sprint for a certain amount of time and then Palm will sell with other carriers. This is the reason for the GSM version.

5. misterSelf

misterSelf Junior Member

Most exclusive deals are for a given time period. Some are for months, while others are for years. None are for a lifetime.

6. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The lone exception to "none are for a lifetime" is the Blackberry Storm with Verizon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...