Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Overpricing at some Sprint retailers

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Nov 20, 2007.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint really needs to do something about some of their retailers who are inexplicably charging way too much for Sprint phones. For example Fry's Electronics and Best Buy here in CA both are selling the new LG Rumor for $349.99 (full retail price) even though the retail price from Sprint and some other retailers is only $279. It's a bad idea to let the retailers overprice like this because it hurts sales and consumers dont want to be screwed around with like that.

Fry's, Costco and Best Buy all used to actually have lower prices than Sprint back in the day so it's disappointing to see this happen. No wonder they're having trouble signing up new customers and this is another reason why Sprint is struggling. I hope the new CEO makes a move to standardize prices like they used to and not let some of the retailers price gouge like this.

2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    A lot of the bigger retailers do this with other carriers too. I don't think it's right either, as the bigger retailers get a better bulk discount on the phones they buy. I can see charging $50 over what you paid for a phone, a business dose need to make money but $100+ is a bit much.

3. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well I had never seen these pricing differences with Sprint phones happen until about 2 years ago when Best Buy started doing it first. Then soon after Costco raised their prices and now it appears Fry's has joined into this as well.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well I would suggest not supporting them in not buying stuff from there.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But by doing this, doesn't it force people to look to Sprint to buy their phones vs going thru a re-seller or do you think people will just go with another carrier ? I thought all the different carrier phones are higher priced in these re-sellers?

Also you are saying "Full Retail" are they compariable with a 2 year contract in price? if so it would look like your getting a better deal from Best Buy, Fry's & Costco vs Sprint.

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well I won't but I can no longer get a good deal on a phone at Fry's or Costco like I did for so many years.

I was just referring to the full retail price of the phones. I didn't compare rebate deals and new activation prices. There are many exisiting customers like myself that have to pay the full retail if we don't qualify for the upgrade program and want to but a new phone. Existing customers are important to retain and I think this is something Sprint needs to work on. But us loyal customers don't want to be screwed around with like this where we have to waste time shopping around to find the lowest deal when the prices at retailers should all be at least the same or lower than Sprint like they were in the past.

7. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I can understand this now Larry, I would be the same way & think it's time for the carriers to start looking to take care of their exsisting customers better then new ones to better retain them.
    Maybe forcing these re-sellers to lower their MSRP to match the Corp stores is one way to prevent people from leaving.

I think as our market is getting saturated, they need to start providing better incentives for exsisting customers to stay, like lowering the time for customers to get bigger discounts on equipment to a year vs almost 2.

I know if they did that with AT&T (yes they do depending on the amount of your monthly bill) I would buy a new phone more often from them.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yep exactly what they need to do. In the past the retailers were actually less expensive than Sprint corp stores and so many customers would traditionally go to Best Buy, Costco, Circuity City, Fry's etc to get their phones. Then one day about 2 years ago this all changed. Best Buy and Costco were the first to jack up their prices. Circuit City ended their partnership with Sprint and now Fry's (the ace in the hole for many Sprint customers in the West) has now jacked up their prices as well. Just 2 months ago Fry's had phones for an average of 15% lower prices than Sprint corp. Some were even 20% lower. Now they're like 20% higher! Sprint is the one who needs to step in an do something about this right away. I only hope Radio Shack doesn't follow this trend.

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah just like you cant get good service anymore anywhere like you used to. Sad thing.:(

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    IMO I think if they tried to do this it would not matter. Cause they can set whatever price they want (law forbiding). But in the long run this is horrible for us that want to do what you are doing Larry. But why not just go to the Sprint local store there and buy it from them cause that is supporting them as well. So no money goes to the retailers. Another idea is to call customer service and ask them if there is any kind of deal you can get cover all your bases.

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah I'll probably end up going to the Sprint store or Radio Shack for my next phone. Too bad because I could get a phone for about 15% to 20% less at Fry's.

12. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR
    As far as I understand (from our sprint rep), Radio Shack is the only outside retailer that has signed an exclusivity contract with sprint.

What does this do in the way of pricing?

Sprint provides the phones to that retailer for a cheaper price....

Any retailer who choses to venture into carrying more than one carrier in thier store is penalized by higher pricing to obtain the phones necessary to sell the contracts.

What we are looking at in the not so near future, will tremendously help outside retailers that chose to carry more than one carrier.

What may that be?

Standard pricing on all phones... you will be able to buy them anywhere and then take them to the carrier of your choice to get them activated on a plan of your choosing...

When will this happen? Unsure, Other than Verizon will be taking the first step in exploring this new found vision of the FCC beginning June of 2008.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Fry's has always offered service from other carriers as well as Sprint but yet managed to keep their prices lower than Sprint corporate.

14. TommyB

TommyB Member

Just asked the kisok rep at Costco this weekend where the Sprint phones were, he said Sprint was out as they didn't "re-sign," whatever that entails.

Apparently T-mobile, att & Verizon did. Seems like Costco's a place you'd want to be . . .

I like Circuit City, but they only carry Verizon . . .

I'm not a huge Fry's fan.

Radio Shack's ok.

"Bad Buy" I avoid like the plague.

Best.
    TB

imo

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yep Sprint decided to pass on Costco. So no more there. But Costco prices and policies had changed and they weren't the great deals they use to be anyway.

I miss Circuity City having Sprint. Used to get bargains there.

Best Buy has horrbile prices for exisiting customers so I would never buy from them.