Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Over a week with the HTC EVO 4G

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Airb330, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I decided to upgrade a line on my family plan to the EVO. My mother does not care what she uses so I used her upgrade and then added the EVO on my line. The activation of my phone took about 15 minutes, which was not too bad. I had to wait 45 minutes at Radioshack because the other 4 people were waiting several hours for their phones to be activated. It was chaos, but I am very glad it activated via the website. 199 out the door, I have to love Delaware for the no tax.

After 2 phone calls I received a nice tech rep who got the EVO on my line and re-activated my mom's VE20. I think the $10 charge is stupid, but since I get such a good deal (15% off, $10 recurring credit) I cannot begrudge Sprint too much.

The phone: I really like it. I am surprised it does not seem too large, but it really fits well in my hand. The sound quality is excellent, probably the best I've used on Sprint. It's almost as good as my old Motorola v400 back on Cingular. So, as a phone, the EVO is great. Web browsing and other smartphone tasks are pretty good. I think Palm's WebOS is much more intuitive than Android, but I do like the app Market. The camera is very good as is the camcorder. The biggest issue I've seen is the complaints about battery life. It really isn't bad. A typical day lasts 8am off the charger to 6pm when I get home and I usually have some juice left. That is usually at least an hour or 2 of web browsing and 20 minutes of calls, and most likely some music listening. I get bored when I am out in the field, so it gets a decent amount of use. No worse than the Pre or other CDMA smartphones sans Blackberries. I tend to charge it in my work truck if I am going to grad school at night, just in case I need more juice.

4G is OK. I think Sprint is completely going the wrong 4G route. I routinely lose 4G along the highway (I-95) and inside almost every building in Philadelphia. The network is not fully active in Wilmington, DE so I can have signal in one spot, move 4 feet and completely lose it. I hope that is fixed when it launches. 4G can be fast (4mbps) but also slower than 3G. At Trader Joes on Saturday I was pulling 60 kbps down and 18 up. 3G in the same spot was 1.2mbps up/down. WiMax just isn't the vehicle for 4G IMO. The frequencies are just killing it. Plus the whole fact, I can be standing under a Sprint tower and have no WiMax since Clear/Comcast/Sprint are building out a completely new network...it's very weird to see so many Sprint co-located towers w/o 4G. When 4G works, it's pretty decent. I watched a movie via Netflix on my MacBook at home while tethered just because I could. Of course, when I actually want to to tether, chances are there will be no 4G around. I understand 4G, whether LTE or WIMax is a completely new network...it would be nice if the coverage pattern was similar to the current CDMA network. While I still think Verizon stinks around here (I still have to use them for work), I do think their 4G rollout will be more smooth than this. Overall, I leave 4G off unless I know I am going to have solid coverage and I'll need the speed. 3G just blazes on the Android webkit browser as it is.

3 people like this.
  2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Good stuff. I have not had a change to try out 4G wimax yet, as it is not even in testing in my area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Just purchased the EVO today!
    So far so good. The 4G coverage is very fast, however the coverage seems to be very spotty. But when it works, it works!
    Still trying to get use to an android based system; since I just switched from my iphone I’m going to have to break some old habits. Having difficulties syncing my facebook contacts' and of course, my iTunes library!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Rich, welcome back to Sprint! I remember you from the old WA days!

5. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hey Larry!
    I'm still here, I occasionally check out WA from time to time. I will admit I don't participate as much as I used to. I just noticed my "join" date, I can't believe its been that long!!

I see quite a few people have the EVO too, has anyone had problems with it ?
    Yesterday I started to notice that after every phone call or text message my phone will go from full service to zero, and start searching for service for like a split second,its really strange!

It really doesn't bother me too much, however I think this might cause a problem if someone's trying to get a hold of me at that exact time, because it would make my calls to directly to voicemail.
    Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

6. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I have not seen that issue, no. That is weird.