Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Outer Banks cellphone coverage

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by gailmag, Nov 11, 2006.

1. gailmag

gailmag New Member

Hi - I'm new to these boards, so please bear with me. We will be traveling to the Outer Banks during May-June 2007. Presently have Cingular as our cellphone provider. Can anyone tell me if Cingular provides coverage (towers) in the Outer Banks? If not, who would be a better carrier choice? We're thinking about changing over to Verizon before we arrive in Corolla - good idea? Phone will be absolutely necessary while we're there. Thanks for your help.

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I just went to the outer banks about 2 months ago and Cingular had excellent coverage. I also found native TMO service in many areas of the islands. Hope this helps you out, Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think it's a safe bet to say with all the expansion Cingular and Tmobile are doing/have been doing, all tourist locations in the US will have GSM coverage if they don't already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
  5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
  6. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Well, when you have 5,000+ posts sometimes I'm sure it's hard to remember every single one.

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Its hard to remember I was on vacation 2 months ago, and it was my only vacation in the past 5 years!

-Jay

8. george_r_1961

george_r_1961 New Member

My Phone:
    blackberry 8330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ntelos
    Ive had several wireless providers and the only one with native coverage on Ocracoke was Alltel. Cingular/AT&T or whatever the heck their name is now only provide service to the far north end of the island where the ferry dock is. Sprint is more than happy to provide analog roaming at their world famous high rates. I think TMO cuts off at Hatteras unless they allow roaming off AT&T/Suncom/Cingular/whatever. There is no GSM service in Ocracoke Village. And to the best of my knowledge there wont be either. When I go to Ocracoke I take my $20 tracfone and activate a local number down there for emergencies.

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    A few hundred yards from the tip of Hatteraas island is a short cell tower which I'm sure is what is providing GSM service to the northern tip of Ocracoke. I had decent Cingular sevice using a Motorola V551 with an external antenna, but that only gets you a few extra miles south. I think my service died out just before the village. I was suprised how far TMO had native coverage, but I do not think they had native service to the tip of Hatteras. My Dad's Treo on Cingular only worked at the ferry dock on Ocracoke. Once the ferry was out of sight his signal dropped to nothing.

-Jay