Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

# or * codes for ATT

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by lagreca, Nov 28, 2001.

1. lagreca

lagreca New Member

Some cellular providers offer free numbers that can be called. In San Diego an example would be a few radio stations. If you dial #1007 send, it is a free call that connects you to star 100 radio station. I was wondering if anyone had a list of such numbers for ATT wireless or knew of a place where I could obtain them. The only one I know of for them is #121, and that isn't free of airtime charges.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi lagreca

Try calling 611 and asking your question of them. It would be faster, more complete and more authoritative than asking that question here.

I know you'll probably be very unhappy about this counter-post, but I really hope that the carriers start charging air time for all these types of services. I can't count how often I've seen teens sitting in malls chatting away about anything and everything while at the same time I read posts here that people are angry because they can't make a call during certain hours. That radio-station-via-the-cellphone has got to be one of the most absurd ideas I've ever heard. Turn on the radio for goodness sake! If carriers start providing star (*) and pound (#) free-call services I can just see the air-waves becoming jammed with users trying to find their horror-scope (purposely misspelled) for the day while at the same time a caller trying to get through to 911 dies in the meantime.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin,
    I agree with your position on "free" radio station access. One of our radio stations has it, but it is a sports station, so the average caller is usually over 25 and less willing to spend much time on the line.

But here's what Verizon gets in return: EVERY time the station gives its incoming phone numbers, we have agreed to also give the Verizon access number: "...and Pound 95-95 on the Verizon Fan line." Just mentioning the name 10 to 20 times per hour, our sales department estimates that is worth $50 in advertising for Verizon, EACH TIME! That is a resounding $500 to $1,000 per hour of free advertising! That's as much as $20,000 per day!

Also, we have only one button dedicated to Verizon callers, therefore, only one caller is clogging the circuit at a time. Music stations have similar constraints, they only have so many incoming lines. Therefore, only a few incoming circuits are tied up.

But there are many people (kids) who have minutes enough to burn, to call the regular numbers. So it appears as though these carriers with special * numbers are getting WAY more in return than it costs them.

-Bill Radio @mountainwireless.com

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Bill:

Insightful, interesting. I've also followed some of your posts on the alt.cellular.... boards. It is interesting to get a perspective from someone with your background.

Kevin

5. lagreca

lagreca New Member

Kevin I dont think you understand what I am talking about. I'm not talking about listening to the radio via my cell phone. I'm talking about a free request or contest number that I can call via my cell phone.

Those teens in the mall you are talking about are certainly not babbling about anything and everything to one of these numbers. Thats not what they are around for, and can't be used for this.

If you are disturbed by not being able to make a phone call from your cell phone, you might want to consider changing networks. These free numbers certainly to not tax their systems. Instead, if their systems don't allow you to make a call, mostly likey what has happened is they have oversold in your market. Believe me, I know all about this, I was a Cingular customer for a while. I recently switched to ATT and have yet to get a busy signal.

The free # and * numbers can actually be helpfull to report smoking vehicles, call radio request lines and such. When I was with GTE a long time ago they had a whole list, some very usefull ones.

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Yes, I am embarrassed to admit I misunderstood your post. Having been an ATT customer since 1994, and not having all those network features, I thought you were talking about listening to the radio. I have yet to even use the #121 feature. I have tried bvocal.com but thought the service was frustrating to use. I usually use the web to find info before I get on the road. It is much easier that way.

I have used a cellphone for business so extensively for several years, that it is more a annoying tool now than anything else. I use it for necessary conversations only.

Regarding the teens, what I was referring to was the extensive and frivolous use of cellphones. It was also unfair for me to peg teens as being the only group to use cell phones unnecessarily. I have seen all age groups flouting their phones in public places (Starbucks, grocery stores, malls). The latest trend with the over-20 group seems to be walking around with their phone in their pockets with only their Plantronics headsets visible. Truly, trendy dorkiness.

7. Lazerus

Lazerus New Member

Kevin one thought on the trendy dorkiness. i recently purchased the samsung uproar and i have to admit i would be one of thoes (kids) you see wandering around with just the headset showing, but did you ever consider that perhaps there is a reason for that? in my case i am listening to MP'3. however in the past i have found i am able to hear better on my head set when in a busy mall + it alows for the phone to be less noticable. So in the end i am not sure it so much a trend as just inteligent poeple using there phone in a manner that gives them more advantages.

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Been there, done that. (I guess, in retrospect, I'm seeing just how trendy dorky I looked a few years back--standing in line at Starbucks with my 8200-series Nokia in my pocket with a titanium-colored Plantronics headset, while holding my HP Jornada organizer giving statistical info to a co-worker. I wanted to be noticed. Now I'm wondering how many people were thinking: "Techno-Geek" while shaking their heads in silent disgust.)

Come to think about it, why do we put ourselves in a public place and then totally shut out the public? Shrinks and Phsyc (spelling?) majors must be having a field day with that one!

9. lagreca

lagreca New Member

People don't understand that #121 is actually TellMe, a free service to anyone, not just ATT customers. Thats why I dont understand when ATT flaunts their #121 service as being free. Because they still charge you airtime for the call, its just a free service, but anyone can use this by calling 800-555-TELL.

Your right, it is a big cumbersome, but at the same time can be VERY useful. I used it alot this summer for baseball game scores. I used it a long time ago because they offered free 5 minute phone calls. So when I was at school, I could pick up a payphone and dial the free number (they have since ended payphone access). I use it now on occasion for directions. I am a consultant, and take calls when I'm out on the road. It has a handy feature where I can tell it where I am, and where I want to go, and it will give me step by step directions.

I also have to admit, I am one of those geeks that walks around with my headset on. However this is not at all for looks but convenience. I find it much easier to use the headset while I'm driving than to hold the phone to my ear. I am also usually using my hands for something else and this is an easy way I can still stay on the phone.

10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    In that case, "Geeks Rule!!"

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, I work in customer care for att wireless, and just wanted to suggest that you do give us a call (611), for a list of free numbers. we do have a list on file for your local area and would be happy to share this list with you. Att wireless is open 24hrs/day, so give us a call!

12. lagreca

lagreca New Member

I called 611 last night, and asked them for the list. They had no idea what I was talking about, and ended up giving me some line about how they don't have any promotions going on like that right now. I dont really think they even understood what I was asking for. What do you suggest I say to them to get this list? Or would you by any chance be able to post this list, as many people in here would proably be interested. Thanks.

Joe

13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I also just called customer service. She (Pam) knew exactly what I was talking about and said that she doesn't know what the anonymous poster could be referring to. The only service (except for 611 and 911) is #121. I thought I had heard of others before, but I guess not anymore.

14. josh

josh New Member

Pam was exactly correct kevin

josh(att rep)

15. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Once again, Josh, thanks so much for joining us here. Your first-hand knowledge has been and will continue to be a valuable resource.

By the way, I just got a call from an executive of the ATT Wireless corporate offices in Washington. I made a suggestion about their website that they liked. I was amazed (and honored) that they would actually call!

16. josh

josh New Member

Sounds great, would you mind me asking what your suggestion was!

Josh

17. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    At the moment, I should probably hold off until I get a firm "yes/no" from them.

If you'll email me, when and if anything substantial transpires, I will respond and let you know.

18. Peter

Peter New Member

OK, sorry guys, I am your the phantom poster. I hadn't signed up here when I posted the message. Here is the deal with the the # and * numbers... Att wireless no longer supports these special numbers, with the exception of #121, and #TOW. I don't have a reason for the change, but apparently these calls are no longer being connected. Unfortunately, I've been working way too long in customer care, as I remembered the * and # numbers, but since I respond from home, I didn't have the luxury of my systems at work to verify the info. So, to close this posting, we DID in the past support this service, but have since moved away from this. Newer reps will probably not be aware of this service as it is no longer being trained anymore...

hope this helps...

Peter - ATT wireless Customer Care

19. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Peter, which ATTWS market do you work in?

20. Peter

Peter New Member

western washington. all reps, at this point, take calls from the entire U.S...