Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Opera Browser Preview Release

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by scottb, Oct 14, 2004.

1. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  2. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

WirelessBeachBum, it looks like you tried to post here using Opera. I saw your name but no post.

#2 scottb, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  3. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Technical Preview 2 is now available from the Opera Web site.

4. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Scottb thanks for the PM on this, they have made big improvements since the last time I tried it, it is still a little funky when trying to navigate forms, but it does load considerably faster than PIE and Thundehawk.

And I've been able to access Banking websites with the browser....clicking on links seems to be a little sluggish at time, and the mobile accelerator is using a proxy server...something I'm not jumping up and down about.

But I've only had it on my phone for five minutes, my question is what will happen in March when the trial period is over, will they launch it commercially as a pay service or are they looking to sell the browser to OEM's. I'm not that familiar with how Opera operates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've been using it a little while myself tonight. The multiple windows are pretty nice. The bookmarks are a welcome addition, but they went away on me a little while ago. I had added a few, then went to add another and the orignals were gone--strange. I have not used the mobile accelerator, but it's still a lot faster than PIE. Text entry is a bit better in this version, and, you can see password field characters for a second like you can in PIE.

They give no indication of a launch strategy on their Web site. Their PC browser is free if you put up with the banner ads, or you can buy it. If the final release is reasonably priced, I'll probably buy it.

Here's a list of changes from the Opera Web site.
    Changes since Technical Preview 1:
    Added "Bookmarks" sub-menu for adding and managing bookmarks.
    Added support for multiple windows:
    A list of open windows is available from the Windows menu or by pressing 9.
    The document title is now used as window title.
    Open windows can be cycled by using the shortcuts 0 and 8.
    Next Window and Previous Window are added to the Windows menu. Shortkey 0 is assigned to Next Window and shortkey 8 to Previous Windows.
    "Bookmarks" and "History" folders are accessible by scrolling down from the "Go to URL" input field. URLs of list items are displayed when the item name is focused. When hovering a URL, the left arrow can be used to set focus on the edit field.
    Improved password entering.
    Default minimum font size set to 9 pixels.
    Improved spatial navigation.
    Fixed problem where status on progress bar was not reset. The progress bar showed information from the last page visited instead of the new page loading.
    Dialog added for password and certificate handling.
    Added JavaScript prompt dialog.
    Fixed problem with reloading Opera after opening another program and then going back to Opera.
    Various stability fixes.

6. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600 smartphone: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

oops a bit of a problem when i loaded onto my phone I saved it to my storage card which erased all of my other fourteen programs on the card

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600 smartphone: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE) Opera 7.60 [en])

still like the browser does anyone have a suntrust bank account they can try to log into

8. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE) Opera 7.60 [en])

WirelessBeachBum,

I have a Wachovia account that I can't access with Opera. I can log in, but it never comes back with my account information.

I can, however, access it with PIE.

Also, I had no issues installing it to the SD card. All the other stuff is still there. Even with a few quirks, I'll still buy this product.