Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Online ESN Transfer without buying a new phone?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ImSeeker, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ImSeeker

ImSeeker New Member

I just got a PM-8200 phone and I want to use it to replace an older phone I have.

I did this a few years back and it was an easy process on the sprint site - just go to old phone, provide new phone ESN and boom - a few hours later, done.

I went today and it seems you MUST buy a new phone from SPRINT to do this now.

Is there any way to change phones easily on the Sprint site now?

If not, who do I call - and is there a charge now (I hear $18?) - that would be disgusting given how easy it was to do before.

Thanks.

2. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Wait Sprint allowed for online ESN swaps?

Not that I knew of... but you learn something new every day.

Care to provide a link?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ImSeeker

ImSeeker New Member

About 3 years back they did allow it - I did it. Can't provide a link, because all I can find now is an online swap - BUT YOU HAVE TO BUY A PHONE FROM THEM ON LINE TO DO IT - or so it seems - I can't find a way to bypass that.

I was going to provide a link to the current area, but I can't get the page to load, but it's just under "upgrade phone" on your current phone page.

4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes they did allow that to happen.
    To the OP is the phone a Sprint Branded one? I think that's a requirement but not 100% positive.

5. ImSeeker

ImSeeker New Member

Both phones are sprint branded - I have a XXX-4900 (can't remember the XXX) and want to move to a PM-8200 which I also have.

6. hypersnail

hypersnail New Member

I believe you just call customer service and give them the new ESN, but don't call from either the new or old handset. If the "new to you" phone has been activated before, I don't think they charge you, but if it has never been activated before, they reserve the right to charge you whatever the activation fee is. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that might be highly optional depending on the CSR, your account history, and willingness to pay the fee.

7. ImSeeker

ImSeeker New Member

Well, I called 888-788-4727 and said I wanted to do an ESN transfer and it went fairly smoothly. Had to change the former number on the new phone using the service menu (it had a number because the 8200 was a gift from someone who went to the 8400), but it moved from the old phone to the new phone in about 2 minutes (please allow 24 hours).

Now, the question is, will I get a billing for this? No charge was ever mentioned during the phone call for this process.

8. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

Just some quick thoughts on all of this:
    - Yes! Sprint did online ESN swaps for quite some time via activate.sprintpcs.com which no longer exists. It also happened to be a backdoor to discover one's MSL because the system could reveal it as part of the process.
    - Sprint, as you note, will do this over the phone. They can charge a fee (I believe $15) but they should at least tell you. The fee is discretionary on their part but precludes frequent switching. i.e. I used to have a tri-mode phone on Verizon and would switch to it whenever I went hiking in the Cascades, then switched back to an all-digital PDA phone when I returned.
    - Sprint is rumored to mess with your plan when you ESN swap. i.e. If you have included power-vision (EVDO) data, and activate an older phone that is vision only (or older) then the plan may lose power-vision. I hate this crap-- but this was a common complaint when the activate site worked.

In the end, if CDMA carriers want to compete with GSM, they need to let you do ESN swaps whenever you like (at least to same carrier branded phones) online. Verizon still does online ESN swaps for free (unlimited) -- except that it has to be to another Verizon phone.

-Dan

9. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint now allows you the option of waiving the $18 activation fee if you purchase and/or upgrade your phone by buying it online. It would be nice if they would just do away altogether with the activation fee for exisiting customer who want to do an esn swap. I personally wouldn't order a phone online. I like to purchase mine at a retail location such as Fry's or Costco because it's easier to do an exchange if necessary and you can sometimes even get better prices that way.