Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

One week with the XV6700

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by cryogenic, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gregr

gregr New Member

I just read your review and update- thanks! Much appreciated- I found it very helpful.
    Greg

3. gregr

gregr New Member

Got my 6700 today and I am having fun getting used to it. So far though, it has exceeded my expectations:)
    One thing to note- the delay when you switch to horizontal format (when you pull the keyboard out) is almost non-existent so they must have fixed that minor glitch.
    Greg

4. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I suppose that's possible... I had to edit the GlyphCache entry in the registry to speed up switching from portrait to landscape. However, plugins and such residing on either the today screen or the top bar will greatly slow down the speed at which it switches modes. I found this out the hard way, but I deal with it since I need the functionality. Just for fun, go to http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed and see what kind of download speeds you get on your device. Here in TN on Verizon, I'm lucky to get over 400kbps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gregr

gregr New Member

Does your 6700 freeze up on you? Mine does every once in a while and as far as I can tell, there is no way to reboot the thing other than removing the battery. That seems crazy... there must be a way to turn the thing off right?

6. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Every once in awhile it will... If you need to reboot the 6700, take out the stylus and look at the bottom of the phone next to the mini-USB port. Put the tip of the stylus in there and press. You'll feel a button depress and that's the reset button. The device will go through a soft reset and you won't lose any data.

7. bobegilbert

bobegilbert New Member

I have had my XV6700 for about 2 weeks. This device is great! My use is mainly corporate with Outlook 2003 syncing. I have the latest rom upgrade that provides Windows Mobile 5.1 with direct push.

There are some quirks that I am trying to work through, specifically:

1. The battery in my current configuration drains after 7 to 8 hours.

This is with zero phone calls during that time, but with email sync set to sync when "items arrive". I asked a colleague that has the same phone, but the Sprint version and he says his last for a couple of days on a charge! Looking closer, it looks like my connection to the EVDO network is always on, which surely kills the battery. Supposedly, there is a way to have the device only login to the network when it needs it, logging off when it is done. I have tried setting my Outlook sync to every hour, but that does not really help as the connection is still maintained. I can manually turn off the data access along with the Microsoft Push in the comm center, but then I have to manually select "send/receive" every time I want to get new email and then I have to manually go back in and turn off again.

I would love to have any config suggestions for #1.

2. 5 to 6 times a day, my phone goes into a "multi-select" mode where in Outlook, I cannot select just one email for viewing. It keeps wanting to select multiple emails. I have to soft reset to get out of the mode so I can select individual emails for viewing.

3. Sometimes my phone will turn the screen brightness all the way down while it is in the holster. I then have to go to a well lit area to re-adjust the brightness. This actually has not happened to me in the last few days.

8. DB7717

DB7717 New Member

My Phone:
    XV6700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Trying to get my XV6700 set up for Push email. Only got the phone two weeks ago and it appears to already have the update ROM 2.07.20. Is there something I'm missing to get MS DirectPush and Data Services to start in Comm Manager?... Thanks for any help for the newbiw.