Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

On a month-to-month family plan - Negotiate new contract?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by peloton, Mar 6, 2009.

1. peloton

peloton New Member

I currently have a family plan w/ 4 lines sharing 1400 minutes. I'm on a month-to-month contract b/c my 2-year contract expired a while ago (don't remember exactly when but at least a year ago). I've called customer service before to inquire about changing plans and they've always said that I can change plans but still retain the month-to-month contract instead of entering into a new 2-year/1-year contract. I'm not sure if this is still applies or not. Does anyone know? Is there any way I can call again to confirm w/ out giving my account information?

I'm considering the 700 minute Nationwide Basic Family SharePlan for 4 lines and I'm ok w/ entering into a 1 or 2-year contract if need be. Can I negotiate any deals if I have to enter into a long contract since I'm coming off of a month-to-month w/ out ETF? If so, what is a realistic expectation (especially since I'm downgrading)? Actually, can I negotiate deals w/ a month-to-month contract?

Would asking for a discount/free upgrade on the $5 for 250 text plan for 2 of the lines be reasonable? The 700 minute Nationwide Select Family SharePlan is $30 more and the only difference b/t the Basic and Select plan is that it offers unlimited text, picture, video & instant messaging which I don't really need. What about new phones? I never upgraded to a new phone through the New Every Two deal. None of us need anything fancy, the free ones would probably be fine.

My (family and I) shared minutes usage is very low (below the current 1400 min we have now) but my IN minutes usage is high b/c most people we know use Verizon. I don't know if reps have access to that information during inquiries. Am I correct in thinking that I need to speak to someone in customer retention to have the best shot? Any ideas would be great. Thanks for the help!

(New member here. Obsessively reading through the forums now to get the best deal I can :) )

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    First off, welcome to Wireless Advisor, peloton.

As far as being able to change your plan without renewing your contract, this is still in effect. Whether you'd be able to negotiate with a rep in CS or Retentions is debatable. Because you have a FS plan with four active lines, you may be able to get somewhere, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Reps are also not going to automatically put you back on a contracted plan if you're just asking about these things. The main trigger of a contract renewal is the purchase of a new phone at the discounted price. So I wouldn't worry about giving your account information to a rep when you're just inquiring.

You're out of contract, but are the other lines? If you ask questions to make sure you're not affecting the plan members as a whole, you'll be fine. It's better you ask a question, even if you think it's stupid, than just assume. It's your account, it's your money paying the bill, so get your money's worth out of it. It never hurts to ask.

One important thing to keep in mind, the New Every 2 phone discount has been reduced AND is only for use on the primary line. The other lines would just get the phone discount itself.

Otherwise, give CS a call and see what they're able to do for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    the new NE2 plans as so...argh....

:mad:

4. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

Can't believe I am posting in the enemy's forum...haha

From the CS perspective, when you do call to inquire about this information it's all about how you ask. When customers call and ask about their contract status it puts the carrier on defense it's known as a trigger statement, because the odds are that most people are wondering about their contract to leave the carrier. To avoid putting the carrier on the defense when you ask about your contract don't be afraid to ask, but also tell them why you're asking. Tell them that you're happy and want to remain (if this is the case) and let them know what you need or want to happen. I know with tmobile when I get a call I am required to find out why a customer is asking about their contract so it just makes the call flow easier if the customer just tells me upfront why they are wondering. They will work with you, there are always deals with and without a contract, although the deals with a contract will be a lot more attractive. But honesty as a retention rep when I get a call from a customer that wants to stay and isn't opposed to doing a contract, I am going to load that customer with every offer I can just because I appreciate them not being a jerk. Just a little insight that I hope helps you get the best deal you can with your service. Happy hunting!

1 person likes this.