Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Old MCI Phone -- useable?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by steveu452, Jul 17, 2005.

1. steveu452

steveu452 New Member

A few years ago my wife decided she needed a cell phone and got a plan from MCI. We just let it expire after a year because she never used it. I just came across the phone yesterday (wasn't even sure we still had it).

It's a Quintel Cellular KCT-100. Does anyone know anything about this phone? For instance, is it still useable with any of the current carriers in the area?

I have no idea what technology or frequency the thing uses, and I'm betting it's basically a paperweight, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. It's nothing special, but I do already own it, and a spare could come in handy.

Thanks.

--- Steve

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is an analog handset, I believe so you probably will not be able to activate it on any carrier's network at this time. Sorry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. steveu452

steveu452 New Member

Ah, well, it was worth a shot. Thanks.

--- Steve

4. fis

fis New Member

There is no reason to keep an old analog phone. You can get really high-quality phones for free now when you sign up for a new service plan. In fact, if you're on a plan that's more than a couple of years old, it might be worth looking into switching. New plans have things like free long distance, free nights, free weekends, free mobile-to-mobile calling, rollover, etc., and the differences in quality between the networks isn't so great any more. If you're switching carriers, you can even make money on a new phone with rebates from authorized carrier agents.

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, that isn't necessarily so. If the handset is still programmed correctly and analog signal is available in your area you can keep it charged and put it in your glove box for an emergency. You should still be able to dial 911 from the handset if analog signal is available. In a few years, however, you won't be able to do this because analog signal will not be required by the FCC and most carriers will discontinue it's use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. steveu452

steveu452 New Member

I'm using a prepaid plan right now, as I don't really have the need for a full postpaid plan (or another monthly bill). I just figured that if there was some way to get it activated on a prepaid plan of some sort, my wife and I would each have a phone, and not have to remember to take the phone with us every time one of us goes somewhere.

Doesn't look like that's a possibility, though. The phones on most prepaid plans are cheap enough anyway, so if we really need another one I can just buy one.

Thanks for the input.

--- Steve