Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Old-fashioned phone ringtone v1.0

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by pianoman41, Apr 7, 2003.

1. pianoman41

pianoman41 New Member

Okay, here is the first attempt (of many, I'm sure) at an old-fashioned ("real" phone) ringtone. It is not quite as easy as I expected:

Alexander Graham's Bell

You may have to right-click the above link and choose "Save Target As" to save it to your hard drive.

Comments, praises, criticisms and suggestions are most welcome, as I will surely incorporate them into future releases.

I orignally tried to use the "telephone" patch in the General MIDI spec but it does not come out sounding like a phone when you put it on the phone (sounds great on a PC though).

You can download that one here: Mini-Warble

Play both of these on a PC and you'll probably find they sound *exactly* like what you were looking for but they don't translate well into the VX4400. But I will continue to improve them as time allows.

Matt

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    pianoman-

Nice job!

That's sounds pretty good...I haven't put it on my phone yet to hear it from there, but that's the best I've heard so far.

The "mini-warble" is more what I was envisioning, but I can imagine how that's hard to recreate on the phone.

You're off to a great start though..I can't wait to hear the next versions.

3. Joizy

Joizy New Member

That really is good. [​IMG] If you use Anvil Studio, you can select different types of "instruments" to play with. One of them is even a telephone sound! I've been playing with various apps that claim to convert wav to mid but I havn't had much success. I do have some wav files that are typical, standard, normal, telephone-sounding rings, but I can't convert them to mid without too much distortion. They don't sound like the original once converted or they are so low in volume that they can't be heard. If you want, I'll email you a few .wav ringers and you can see if you can convert them.

4. AZMerf

AZMerf Member

Great sounds but here is a Dumb question ... The only way to put these ringers on my phone it through BitPm or the Gagin? What if I was a person that didn't like fooling around at that level in the phone?

5. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Please do keep up the good work....the world awaits the real ringer tones of yesteryear.....

6. pianoman41

pianoman41 New Member

That "telephone" sound is one of the General MIDI standard sounds and it is what I used to make the "Miniwarble" ringer above. It sounds *exactly* like a rotary phone ringer on a PC, but the MIDI sound generator in the VX4400 is very poor and doesn't do a good job of reproducing this particular patch. I use Sonar XL 2.2, and I have a home studio setup so I have access to quite a few MIDI modules and equipment. Unfortunately through it all, the sound generator in the phone is going to be the limiting factor as to how good a plain ringer we can get. I will be experimenting with more "bell-like" sounding patches (such as marimba, glockenspiel, xylophone, etc) in various forms to see if I can better approximate a ringer. That's how I made the Alexander Graham's Bell patch.