Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Off to verizon store re:vx 6100

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by LRando, Oct 15, 2005.

1. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well... I am off to verizon to see if they can do anything w/my vx 6100. Had for couple weeks now. No, I can't swap for different phone, already did that once, plus mailed in the rebate form. Anyway, I have found the rf on this unacceptable at times, but ok for the most part. Past couple days dropped a few calls. Well this morning, there were 2 occasions where I DID have 1 bar of strength, but still could not make a call. Screen just kept saying "calling..." and never connected. That is unacceptable to me. There was a time when that could have meant the difference between me getting timely info or not. So I'm headed there. They will either tell me 1. nothing wrong w/it. or 2. swap it for a new one. Which means once again I lose ring tones I downloaded AND paid for!! If this one is no better, I will go back to my vx 3200. Just pissed that I'v "wasted" my new every 2.

2. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    well, "connectivity" seems to be a random thing w/this phone. In some areas it is good at all times. Other times it can vary. For example, at the gym...yesterday had 2 bars made a call from gym no problem. Today w/1 bar, couldn't connect. Had 2 calls drop on me. I don't know exactly how this all works, but if my husband and my son's phone seem to work fine in these areas w/verizon, why is mine so much trouble? I assume it's the model (6100). I went to Verizon and explained all the problems I was having. The kid looked at the phone, did a few things and then declared it "seems to be working fine." I said, yes at that moment it was. I told him don't get me wrong, there are times it works great. But there are other times it seems to fluctuate. I don't feel it is dependable. Told him about dropped calls, not being able to connect w/1 bar. He had an answer for everything. Said of course you will drop calls occasionally. It happens w/all phones, all service. About the not being able to connect w/1 bar? He said those bars are simply an estimate of the rf. When I said how come my phone can be in the same place for 10 minutes, laying flat on the counter. Can go from 6 bars to 2 to 4 to 1. He said it depends on how many people are on their phones accessing the same tower at the same time. Said the weather can effect it, etc. With all the excuses he gave, I guess I am supposed to forgive my phone not working alot of the time because that's just the way it is. No matter what I said his opinion was phone is fine. He finally agreed to test it. When I went back 45 min. later he told me that had it on a call the whole time and it never dropped. I said that was great...at that moment, at that place. BUT there are other places it is dropping. I told him that as is, the phone is simply a paper weight. I finally convinced him to give me a new phone, same model to try. I told him that I feel it is the model itself. Told me I could get a new model, but would have to pay full price for it. So I took the new 6100. I'll see how it does. I have a feeling I'll be going back to my 3200. No bells, no whistles, but man did it hold a call. Clear sound. I think in the year I had it, I had 1 maybe 2 dropped calls. I don't understand how that phone can work so well, and this one can be such the opposite!!!! I think they need to work less on making phones that can do more and more and try to get the ones they have to work correctly!

3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Let us know if you keep having the same problems, LRando.

Good luck. If you do, then it could be the tower in the areas that you have the most trouble in.

Do you know where the towers are in the areas that you have trouble in?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    there were def a few places that always had trouble. Near my dr's office in cambride, ma. Usually no signal. In my gym...1 bar (which come to find out, I STILL can't make a call w/only 1 bar) or no signal at all. Other times I could be in one place one day and have a great signal. Could be in the SAME place the next day and have 1. Just too inconsistent. I know there are places where there will be problems. I think what happened is w/my vx3200, I never had a problem with NOT being able to make a call. Sure there were areas where I only had a bar, but could still place a call. With the 6100 in these SAME places, I had no service. That tells me it's the model of phone. If I can get a signal w/the 3200, but none w/6100, the signal IS there, the 6100 is just unable to pick it up. I have put the 6100 away for the time being and gone back to the 3200

5. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    As I said so many times many people that I know and I have had god luck with the phone. Check with the Moto forum and the LG forum you will see people complaining about the 3200 that you praise. That could simply mean you had a bad 6100 and a good 3200. I have 2 other LS's both are very strong, yet the 3rd was less strong in signal so I traded it for a new 6100 and its even stronger. Its not the whole model line, its the phone it anything.

The kid that you talked to was right in much of what he said. When towers are busy call quality can go down, And BARS are not a real indication of rf all the time. And signal does fluctuate, if you saw the service screen instead of the bars it would be jumping all over as the phone scans. Interestingly, perhaps your 3200 was very sensitive.

If you don't now have a better 6100 , please go to the manager of the store and ask for another type of phone or for a refund. Remember you returned a phone because it was digital and that's why you got the 6100. Perhaps if you plead your case properly Verizon will let you out of the contract since its new. Try another carrier. Good Luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Spelling; had GOOD luck.left out an O in original post. I liked the old spell checker better.

7. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think you are right. I'm sure you can find complaints about every phone if we look hard enough. The 2nd 6100 was no better. Continued to drop calls, low RF at all times. Unable to make a call w/1 bar. I finally had to give up. Went back to the 3200 and it's working great. Unfort. I have no "swapping" left. I originally got the 5200. But returned that due to low volume in the earpiece, even on high. Got the samsung a670. That's the one I returned that was digital. They let me get the 6100 in place of that. So that ended my ability to return. I swapped the 6100 I had for another 6100, but that was no better. Even if I could, what do I get next? Each phone has had a problem. I think for now, the 3200 is fine. My husband and son both have upgrades coming in July. My husand, who also has the 3200, says he may just stick w/that. He likes it alot. If he does, then we'll go get new phone saying it's for him, then I'll put my # on it. However, if my husband decides he does want a new phone, then I'll take my son's old one when he upgrades, which I'm SURE he'll want to do! He has an lg vx6000 that works great. So either way I'll end up w/a new phone in July. I'm ok w/that I guess. In the meantime, I went into verizon to get a holder for my 3200 and was explaining to the guy there about the 6100. He did admit to me that they have had alot of problems w/the 6100. He said every now and then one model of a phone gives them lots of trouble. So maybe you were just lucky and got a good one? I can always try it again in a few months. See if the rf has gotten any better.

8. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Did you return it or just keep it? Because I would have asked for a
    3rd from another batch, even another store.

As I wrote; 3 years ago when I got my 3, VX10's I immediately had to return 1 of them because it locked up. Got another with bad signal sensitivity, (RF). finally got a really good one. Which I changed in July, got a bad refurbished one and now have the 6100, exactly because my friends have such good reception with their 6100's. Could be the batch. Anyway, I have also seen people returning the 3100, 3200. 8100, many of the Motos and Samsungs ( like you did) and finally getting a really good one and sticking with it. This brings to mind that the manufactures may not be doing the best job in quality control. Back in the early days Motorola had a policy of ZERO failures out the factory door. I never got a bad phone then , even with other manufactures. Today,its hit or miss. If you still have the 6100, you have the right to request a good one.

This is the same reason I detest buying a new car.

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I would have gotten a Motorola or Nokia. Both of them have great RF, unlike the 6100, in general. It's a known fact that the 6100 has lousy rf, and it often gets bad reputations from people using it.

10. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    IN GENERAL! Come on, I have seen the oposite in this area. Check my old posts. Even Moto has bad batches. They all do.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Of course Motos have their bad batches too, don't get me wrong, but it is a known thing that newer Motos and NOkias have better rf than LG's, and the 6100 is known to be a below average rf phone in general. I've checked your threads.

12. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Andy, anyone can write anything on threads, how about a certain member who posts that Cingular can do no wrong? What may have been considered reliable information a while ago may not be accurate today. Today's Motos are not Startac's
    the threads also mention people having Moto problems. That 720 was some phone, right? So, does that mean I won't buy one based on an anonymous post?No! I ask people who I know and trust.

For now, for me and many people who I know who have the LG, the sensitivity (so called rf) is better that most. Still just like in the Moto forum, there are bad batches. I have had both.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm not talking about old Motorola phones like the Startacs, neither am I talking about the 720. I'm talking about phones like the V710, E815, V265. Those phones are known to have better rf sensitivity than LG phones, period. Nokias and Motorolas have better rf than LG's. It's a common agreement. I've seen 3200s, 6000s, 6100, 8000, and others not work while walking around trying to make a call, but my NOkia ringing while inside my pocket and having a crystal clear call with one bar.

14. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Common agreement? Among who? I have seen my brothers Nokia get cut off where my old LG worked. OH well, this is a dead end.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Your opinion differs from anything I've ever seen, and from what most people will tell you online.
    If your opinions are different, that's fine.

16. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    OK ;please don't take any of this personally; Its not my opinion. It is my observations that I report. And my experience and that of people that I know and can see as opposed to those in the virtual world; online.

#16 Jerro, Oct 19, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Don't get me wrong- I have my own real world experiences which most of my posts are based on, but on top of that you have the virtual world's opinions.

18. I dont have a side but just let me say..

i've never had a complaint about my 6100, its the best phone ive had.

that being said-- it could be the network in my town, the software on my phone, and a vast majority of other things.

Now ive heard people with complaints about the 6100 and im sure some of those are valid, just not with my phone. I guess i just got lucky :)

19. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I too never had a single issue w/ RF on my 6100!!! I just think that it depends on the strength of the network in your area's!!! 6100 was stellar for me...

20. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It makes me wonder, if LG phones are such bad phones as opposed to Nokias and Motorolas, why would Verizon insist on using them to provide service to their customers?

From personal experience, i've never had issues with my LG phones, this reminds me of my 6k when some would come in here posting that the 6k was a terrible phone just because they dropped a call or two not realizing that it could have just been a busy network, and i've seen the same posted about other LG models as well....

overall i think LG has been consistent with the quality of their phones and considering that one of biggest wireless service providers chooses to used them as their latest handsets they must be doing something right...

21. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    overall i think LG has been consistent with the quality of their phones and considering that one of biggest wireless service providers chooses to used them as their latest handsets they must be doing something right...[/QUOTE]

I agree tony,
    I think LG make quality phones, especially for verizon

22. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I did not get another as the 1st and 2nd one I got were exactly the same, no difference. I just feel it's not the right phone for my area. I have gone back to my 3200. I have never had a problem w/that, so I don't know why the 6100 is so terrible in my area. Just arrived back from washington, d.c. and my 3200 worked great everywhere. I NEVER would have trusted the 6100 on this trip.
    I see alot of discussions back and forth re: phones. I think you could have 100 people w/the same phone. Some will love it, some will hate it. It does depend on your area, your network etc. I'm sure there are a lot of people that will tell me the 3200 is terrible. It just happens to be the phone that works for me. The bad thing is trying to find out what phone will work for you where. How can you tell that before you walk out the door of the Verizon store? It's too bad there isn't a web site in each persons town where you can post your experience w/a phone. That way we could see what does/doesn't work in our areas! Unfort I will now stay w/the 3200 for 2 years or until my son upgrades in July 06. I can then take his lg vx6000 which works great. We'll see!

23. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tony, I also have no idea why Verizon would push for the sale of LG phones if they really wouldn't do well on their network. I went 4-wheeling just yesterday and we had an LG 6100, a 4600 or whatever and two Motos E815 with us. While the person with the 6100 and 4600 had no service in some places, holding their phones up in the air, my phone rang while it was in my pocket and I had a clear conversation while the LG people couldn't connect.

24. ^^

that leads me to believe it could be a software bug. None of my LG's have EVER done anything like that... thats really weird.

Again not saying you're lying because I believe you, its just strange that certain phones will work great for someone but them completely different for someone else.

25. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Exactly, and i never said i had no idea.....;)

The LG6100 is the most common model i see here in LA besides the 6000, the parking attendant that works in the lower third floor of the building i work at just upgraded his phone to a 6100 becasue he was having problems with his Motorola phone, now he says there are no issues when trying to call out...go figure...

26. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Weird :D I was driving through Utah's backcountry today and the Motorolas and Nokias in our group most definitely outperformed the three LG phones with us... Seems like I'm the only one who is having those experiences on here. :eek:

27. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

it also seems like you go the extra mile to point it out when it comes to LG...lol.;)