Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Obama heads to Apple Store, first day out of office?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, Jan 25, 2016.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    An interesting summary of tech for POTUS.

Maybe he'll go Android, but I'm sure he'll want to toss the Blackberry over the fence, if he is allowed too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/u...-tech-has-its-limits.html?ref=technology&_r=0

"WASHINGTON — In this always-on, always-connected world, what good is a Fitbit with no GPS or an iPad that can’t connect to the cloud?

Hint: Ask President Obama.

Mr. Obama is the first true gadget geek to occupy the Oval Office, and yet his eagerness to take part in the personal technology revolution is hampered by the secrecy and security challenges that are daily requirements of his job.

What counts as must-have features for many people — high-definition cameras, powerful microphones, cloud-connected wireless radios and precise GPS location transmitters — are potential threats when the leader of the free world wants to carry them around.

And so using the latest devices means more than merely ordering one on Amazon for delivery to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. It means accepting the compromises imposed by White House technology experts, whose mission is to secure the president’s communications, and by the Secret Service agents who protect him.

“I am not allowed, for security reasons, to have an iPhone,” Mr. Obama conceded at a youth summit in 2013.

He has not given up, though. Mr. Obama is the first commander in chief to regularly carry a specially secured BlackBerry. He reads briefings and checks scores from ESPN on an iPad (the first of which was given to him by Steve Jobs before its public release). And recently he has been seen wearing the Fitbit Surge, a fitness band packed with all the latest technology, on his left wrist.

Mr. Obama was last seen with the fitness tracker during an appearance on Jerry Seinfeld’s web series, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.” Mr. Obama’s Fitbit makes a brief but clear appearance as he steers a 1963 Corvette Stingray with his left hand.
    That raises the question: How many of the device’s features have been purposely disabled?"

See link for full story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Very interesting story. Thanks for posting it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    And so kids, if you think your parents are strict, trying being the president of the USA and a leader in the "free world" but being told you can't have the phone you want. And he doesn't have a mummy he can go whining to.