Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NYC--New Cingular Service Piggyback on Voicestream

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Kenny, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Take a look at this Press Release excerpt from Reuters:

Under last October's deal, VoiceStream agreed to share its network in New York in exchange for coverage in California and Nevada via Cingular's network.

Mark Feidler, chief operating officer of Cingular, said the two companies had originally agreed to swap spectrum, but decided to share each other's networks in order to save on build-out costs.

The lack of service in New York has been a gaping hole in Cingular's coverage and a major weakness particularly as subscriber growth has slowed and competition has intensified.

Even though Cingular's entry into New York will eliminate that drawback, Thomas Lee, wireless analyst for J.P. Morgan, said he expects New York to add only 100,000 net new subscribers to Cingular's results for the year, adding that VoiceStream is known to have the worst coverage in New York.

Still, Feidler said, "We think there is a significant amount of pent-up demand for Cingular's service."

He said the company will particularly target major corporate customers that it could not previously reach because of the lack of coverage in New York. It will also target existing customers of its separate Mobitex data service.

While Cingular did not offer voice service in New York, it offered data service for devices such as the Palm and Blackberry under the name Mobitex since the early 1990s.

Atlanta-based Cingular said it opened 55 stores on Monday with a flagship store in Manhattan. It plans to have 100 stores in the New York City metropolitan area this year and 200 stores by the end of 2003.

It will be rolling out regional advertising consisting of newspaper ads, television and radio commercials, and Internet ads over the next two weeks. The ads were created by its agency BBDO, a unit of Omnicom Group Inc. OMC.N

Lee warned that Cingular's entry may increase competition in New York.

"If any investor was concerned about the general level of marketing activity and promotional activity among carriers, the situation would definitely look worse in New York than in the past," Lee said. "I don't believe Cingular will grow the wireless market. Cingular is rather just going to end up stealing market share."

It's going to be interesting to see how Cingular will provide GOOD coverage and service. As the analyst has mentioned, Voicestream is touted as having the worst coverage in NY and now Cingular will piggyback on their network? As mentioned above, due to marketing Cingular will be able to steal customers but not necessarily add much to the subcriber base to the NY market.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I never heard anyone here saying Voicestream had bad coverage in NYC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

If by "coverage" the analyst meant geographic range, then yes, I think Voicestream does have the "worst" coverage in the New York metro area by virtue of the fact of being solely GSM.

4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Since Aiwapro said he's coming to NJ this month he should stop by NYC and tell us just how bad it is. I am sure our Toledo, Ohio analyst would give us very optimistic comments on Voicestream's coverage in NYC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I never heard anything bad about Voicestream in NYC either. My friend Bob lives in NYC and has never complained about Voicestream. In fact, I asked him about it and he said that it is quote "terrific."

Solely GSM has nothing to do with it, the analyst was wrong.

6. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

bobolito

quiet funny :)

--

Anyway, I have a good friend in NYC and he is very happy with VS, in fact he switched from ATT (which he found unacceptable) to VS.

When he was out here in SF he made fun about the Cingular network and how bad it is compared to NYC

So I conclude, it cannot be too bad.

C.

7. fickleguy

fickleguy New Member

Aiwapro and Bobolito,

The J.P. Morgan analyst didn't say Voicestream's coverage was worst in New York City; he said New York, meaning the extended metro area, which is a big area. Relative to other providers like AT&T or Verizon, Voicestream has more dead areas in Connecticut, New York State and New Jersey because none of the other major providers uses GSM yet. The ability to have service no matter where you are is an important issue for many people. I know people who have switched service because Company A has service in the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels but Company B doesn't.

I'm sure Voicestream has excellent service when you can get it. But right now, the problem of being able to get service crops up far more frequently with Voicestream than other providers and it is because Voicestream uses GSM. No doubt all that will change as other providers like AT&T build their own GSM network.

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ^^ I agree. I really can't wait for VS to build out there network here in DE, if they ever do.....Cingular will....but I just hate Cingular here....they treat people like ****. I'll only go with VS, if they don't vut it in a year or two, then I'll just stay with Verizon. I'm very happy with everything from them....they just need to get some cooler phones with better services....maybe VZW will have that soon.

9. BarryATL

BarryATL Junior Member

Does anybody know how Cingular is going to handle the 6340 in the NYC market? It the TDMA markets the phone will be assigned to our Cingular Nation plans. NYC has the Cingular Nation Preferred Network plans. They are different. There are more minutes and the plan is only good on the GSM network. When they offer the 6340 in NYC, will the minutes on the Preferred Network plans work on all TDMA and GSM networks?

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Barry, I spoke with a Cingular rep at the NYC relocation dept. and they told me that when the GAIT phone comes out you can use it on both GSM and TDMA networks with no roaming and no long distance anywhere in the US with a Nation Preferred plan.

11. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

<< I spoke with a Cingular rep at the NYC relocation dept. and they told me that when the GAIT phone comes out you can use it on both GSM and TDMA networks with no roaming and no long distance anywhere in the US with a Nation Preferred plan. >>

If that is indeed the case, can any Cingular reps comment on whether the rest of the US will see these new rates go into effect anytime soon? I'm currently on one of the Cingular Nation plans and would love to get an extra 300 or so peak minutes for the same monthly price. It seems like the NYC market is being offered some fantastic rate plans (Nation Preferred) and it only seems right that the rest of us get a piece of the action...

ATLguy

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    FickleGuy,
    Although the analyst in the article did not say NYC, HE IS referring to the NYC market which includes NYC, north New Jersey and part of central New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester County, Orange County, and Fairfield county CT. He is NOT talking about the rest of the state of NY where we know Voicestream has many dead areas. However, we know Voicestream covers the NY metro area completely with some weak spots just like the rest of the carriers, but I disagree when he says VS is known to have the worst coverage in NYC market. Just read:
    Even though Cingular's entry into New York will eliminate that drawback, Thomas Lee, wireless analyst for J.P. Morgan, said he expects New York to add only 100,000 net new subscribers to Cingular's results for the year, adding that VoiceStream is known to have the worst coverage in New York.

Think about it, when he's talking about "Cingular entry into NY", it is pretty obvious he's talking about the NYC market. Then he adds that "Voicestream is known to have the worst coverage in New York." Again, he is referring to the New York Market because he's talking about Cingular's introduction to the NYC market in the first place and that's what the article is all about. In my experience, I have to disagree with this analyst's comments.

13. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

ALTGuy:

But here in NYC, if we leave the GSM network, we will be charged for roaming. We can go too far before incurring roaming fees. At least on the TDMA network, you can go literally anywhere and not be charged. Any roaming fees would would incur still gets charged to Cingular by other carriers, but they don't charge you. Thats why you are given less minutes.

I don't like cingular one one other reason......I don't like to be locked into a 2 year contract. one year is fine...but two is to long.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Less minutes than who Joe? I find the minutes package very attractive.

BTW, they fixed the error in their website, Roaming minutes now say "included".

15. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

bobolito,

Joe is referring to my comment about the number of minutes in the "Cingular Nation Preferred" (GSM) plan versus the "Cingular Nation" (TDMA) plan.

Joe -- if you read my post closely, you'll see that I referred to bobolito's comment about the GAIT phone availability -- once that is made available, those in the NY/GSM market will be able to roam on GSM or TDMA without any roaming fees. So, it looks like you are definitely making out with the additional minutes in the Preferred plans ... at least you will once the GAIT phone(s) are available ... and that isn't too far off.

I'd still like to hear from one of our regular Cingular posters/employees. Do any of you happen to know if these "Preferred" rate plans will be made available nationwide and/or if they are expected to merge with the original Nation plans? What about GAIT phone availability ... will we see these coming out soon???

ATLguy

16. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Sorry for misunderstanding.

I guess for people who live in NYC should not join Cingular until the GIAT phones are available then....would I stand correct to say that? If you purchase a GSM phone now, you can never "trully" roam nationwide...right?

Thanks!

17. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

It depends on what your typical cell phone usage is like. If a NYC resident only needed NY coverage, there are some great Cingular Local plans. However, if a NYC resident needed true nationwide coverage and was traveling to areas that may not have GSM signal coverage, then waiting for a GAIT option is probably a good idea... Depends on the person, though.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular is offering the Nation Preferred plans in California also. I believe it will be in all their GSM markets eventually. Just a matter of time.

19. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm still seeing Cingular Nation Plans in my area on Cingular's website. Since I'm in a GSM market and NY and CA already has these plans hopefully they will release them in there Southern US GSM coverage areas too.

20. aiwapro

Well with the exceptionof you TNDan21 (no Voicestream in your area), seriously, why don't you all who are interested in Cingular GSM get Voicestream, as they are already 100% GSM, and they are constantly growing as a company, coverage wise and technology wise too, as they will begin work on EDGE at the end of this year, while both Cingular and AT&T will still be busy trying to get their TDMA switched completely over to GSM. Both of those companies may have alot planned, but we all know that if they do have anything planned, it will be a long, long time before they get to it.

I have a question while on this technology subject, exactly what are AT&T and Cingular going to do next after they get GSM straightened out. Well I know they will probably go GPRS, Cingular already has in about 2% of it's coverage area, but what are they going to do next? Voicestream is going EDGE as I stated above, then they will focus some on 802.11b & Wifi, and then W-CDMA I believe.

21. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

just came from a sprint store and saw a banner hanging up for 700 anytime minutes and 4300 N&W minutes LD included for 49.99

not sure if you can travel anywhere on the spcs network or just in the NY tri-state area ill find out more.

22. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    More then 2% of Cingular's network has GPRS there entire GSM network in East TN, Coastel GA, North Carolina, South Carolina, and a little bit of Southwest VA has that capability. There GSM network in the South is proabely there best and most advanced network nationwide.

23. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    IdiOTeQnoLogY Not bad for sprint pcs

Jack

24. fickleguy

fickleguy New Member

bobolito,

I agree with you that the wireless analyst was talking about the NYC area, not western or upstate NY. That was exactly my point. But he's still right; in metro NYC, Voicestream does have the "worst" coverage. I've got a coverage map sitting right in front of me and it shows quite a few dead spots on Long Island, CT, northern NJ and suburban NYS. I'd say those dead areas add up to 10 to 15% of the map but the absolute percentage is irrelevant. The analyst was making a relative judgment and relative to the 100% coverage of AT&T and Verizon, Voicestream has the least extensive, i.e. "worst" coverage.

25. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    IdiOTeQnoLogY,

Sounds like a good offer. I wonder why Sprint doesn't have it here in CA?

26. aiwapro

Yeah TnDan, they have GPRS on their entire GSM network, but their entire GSM network isn't big. Maybe 2% of their coverage is GSM is a little bit of exagerration, but they don't have too much more than 2% of their entire coverage area as GSM, it is mostly still TDMA. At least they are not lying like AT&T and saying that they will be finished with their entire upgrade by the end of this year, yes this year, 2002. Noone is expecting them to get finished that quick, so there is no need for them to even lie about it.

27. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Here is what the official Cingular web site has. Cingular Web Site The above Cingular site (www.cingularny.com) is a resailer, not the official Cingular Site.

Cingular Nation Preferred Plan, travel nationwide on the GSM network with no roaming or long distance charges with a GSM phone.

It says on the GSM network ... with a GSM phone. Says nothing about a GAIT phone or TDMA.

28. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Here's what someone posted in another forum:

I have VoiceStream and Nextel and had Verizon for several years. My wife is
    still on Verizon. I use about 1500 minutes a month in the NJ/NYC area. On
    Verizon I used a StarTac 7760, 7860 and Kyocera 3035; with VS I use a P280.

Coming from Nextel, both are a big step ahead, I really don't like Nextel's
    service and would rate it poor. For me, the big advantage for VoiceStream
    is the 3000 anytime minutes for $60 plan. It is the best value I've ever
    seen, the service in the area I use the phone is good. If I had to pick
    between the two (Verizon and VS) and money was no object or if they offered
    the same minutes for the same price, I'd go with Verizon.

When both services are at their best, I think VoiceStream has better voice
    quality and a clearer connection. However, in my daily usage I find that
    calls on VS tend to breakup more during the call. Verizon pretty much
    always sounds the same, not great but consistent. Never had trouble placing
    a call on Verizon, with VoiceStream I may get a call failed message two or
    three times before it will go through.

I find I have more dropped calls with VS, approximately 3-5 per week if I
    had to put a number on it, where I'd have maybe 2 a month at most with
    Verizon.

Verizon and VS have good service in NYC/NJ and Long Island. With Verizon
    you get a consistent and more complete coverage, with VS you get a better
    value. I rely on my cell phone for business and don't want to give the
    impression that the VS service isn't good, it is. If I had to rate them,
    I'd give Nextel a 1, VoiceStream a 7.5 and Verizon a 9 for coverage and call
    quality. For value, VS gets a 10.

As far as phone upgrades, Verizon doesn't offer any great deals for existing
    customers. If I remember, they'll give you $50 credit if you extend your
    contract for a year, after your contract is complete (actually after 10
    months) and $100 if you extend for two years; otherwise you pay full retail.
    I don't think that was such a great deal and the phone selection isn't that
    extensive. Verizon never offered anyone I know a deal to keep them from
    switching providers either. My monthly bill with Verizon would run over
    some months by $300 to $400 since I'd go over my allotted minutes, that
    doesn't include my base contract, just overage. So I'd say I'm a pretty
    good customer with three phones and three monthly plans (not family plan).
    When I wanted a better deal on a plan or phone they wouldn't budge. When I
    told them I was switching to VS it was "good by and good luck", not "what
    can I do to keep your business" (no one even asked!

I guess they sell themselves on their network, Verizon figures you get
    spoiled by the coverage and will pay for it. In a sense they're right. VS
    just came up with a too good to pass up deal for me. If Verizon offered
    3000 local minutes for $100 (rather than the 1500 minutes) I'd have stayed
    with Verizon. When my contract is up with VoiceStream, I do plan to renew
    it, so I'd say I'm a happy customer.

29. aiwapro

I'm glad to see another happy Voicestream customer. I think he/she told the straight truth, though in MY AREA, I have had 2 dropped calls, and I have almost been with Voicestream for 2 years.

30. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Mike, just because it says nothing about GAIT phones on the website doesn't mean it isn't true or it doesn't exist. I spoke with two reps one from the NY relocation dept. and another one from the main number and they both told me that even with the GAIT phone, there would be no roaming charges across the US even if you pick up a TDMA signal.

Aiwapro, you should be grateful to Cingular for helping Voicestream expand GSM. Think about team effort first. It's the only way to do successful business in this country. The GSM network built by these two companies is only one and no matter where you go you'll get the same quality coverage regardless which of the two you subscribe to. I am not defending anyone or badmouthing anyone, I am just simply saying let's appreciate team effort.

I am pretty sure that with a GAIT phone, current GSM customers will get much better coverage than with a GSM-only phone. That's one advantage Cingular has over other GSM-only carriers. Another advantage is that I am sure your bill will stay lower with Cingular. I am sure that more extended coverage and attractive prices are the most important points to most subscribers.