Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NYC: CMDA problems in building & exteral atennas?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by hscampbell, May 17, 2005.

1. hscampbell

hscampbell New Member

HELP!

I have a Samsung i700 with verizon. It's great, except that my $19 tri-mode sch-650 gets twice as better reception in my home office. (BTW, 10 feet away from a window, and ironically live on the same block in NYC as the verizon building!)

Did I mention the i700 is my main business phone? So this is really :censored: me over.

Samsung was no help -- they blame verizon. verizon's no help; they don't guarantee coverage in buildings. All I get is the *228 answer (which after reading more, I realize might have done more harm than good.)

I've been exploring external atennas -- Samsung says it will void my warranty, and didn't seem to get the irony of having a warranty on a phone that doesn't even get reception.

I don't care about voiding the warranty, but they also said it could short out the phone entirely. I can't tell if this is extreme-self-preservation on the part of Samsung, or whether there might be some truth to it. I haven't seen anything elsewhere that says an external atenna could cause that problem.

Any help? Advice? Guidance? Should I just sell the damn thing on eBay and go back to my $19 phone?

2. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    ASSuming you have VZW service with both phones, & 1 fone is fine in the same location that the other can't make calls, it would seem you have a lemon of a phone there, )or all of that 1 particlar model have bad RF performance).
    *228 updates will do Absolutely nothing for reception in the NYC area, good or bad, there is no roaming partner in the PRL in NY/NJ, only VZW's home system, so an update can't remove any coverage, & also won't give any more in that area either, since you already have access to VZW NY.. *228 updates are only useful to a NYC user after you jet away from your home system & need to roam....

You may want to look into a wireless in building dual band repeater, if exchanging the fone is no option or help:

http://www.phonemerchants.com/poda3w60gadu.html

THese work well & should give you more than enough signal indoors... although you will need to shell out over $300......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hscampbell

hscampbell New Member

I'm being told the problem is because the i700 is all digital (dual-band CDMA) while the other phone is triband. Although I have no way on either to tell what each is connecting/switching too, it seems to be the analog making the better connection -- which is weird because everything I've read says the CDMA is better in metro areas (but then again needs a stronger signal than analog to work.)

This is too :censored: ing much work.

I also have read that the i700 was actually intended to be tri-mode, and Verizon specifically disabled the analog component to support its move to all digital. (The phone chipset does support analog; Verizon somehow disabled it.)

Anyone know whether and/or how to jerryrig an i700 back to supporting analog?

Or, anyone want to buy a very slightly used i700 :p

4. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    There is No way to make a non-analog phone work on analog channels.
    I really doubt that the tri-mode phone is switching over to analog in your situation.
    Almost all CDMA phones have a "1x" or "D" icon in the display that shows in the display to signify that it is Not on / using analog channels. Check your working phone..... Many phones also show an "A" icon when on analog or at the least the "1x" or "D" isn't there......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hscampbell

hscampbell New Member

Meatchicken, you're right. The working phone IS showing the 1X signal, so for some reason it's better at getting the digital signal for some reason (that no one can explain to me.) Unless you're right and it's just a bum phone.

The strange thing is that the reception seemed to be better a few weeks ago and seems to have deteriorated.

Any experience with external atennas?

6. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Is there another phone that you may be able to trade for? Maybe one of the BlackBerry models?

7. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    If you don't mind being tethered to a wire, an external antenna should also solve your problem.
    You may just have a bum fone, although many models (such as the Nokia CDMA's) are better at getting a signal than others, but in your case it seems a little too severe between the 2 phones.

8. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    External antennas are VERY effective. Here in Kentucky, even the best carriers cant penetrate the hills and the hollers. I personally use a glass-mount 3db on my truck, and a mag-mount 3db in my shop at the house. They usually have about 16ft of coax on them, so it's no different than using a landline phone. And although they may be rated at only 3db of gain, just getting the antenna outside the building is a huge boost, so you may see gains of 15-20db or more. One of the best things about digital is the ability to have a clear conversation at very low signal levels, so just a 3db boost could help you out ALOT.

You could get a mini-mag (about 4 inches tall) and stick it on top of a filing cabinet or something.

In CDMA, some of the biggest RF performance differences are the result of the effectiveness of the rake receiver in the phone. If you are not familiar with a rake receiver, let me explain.

Its a radio receiver that is tuned to a maximum of 6 voice channels simultaneously (in CDMA). In this way, the phone is able to receive signal from multiple towers and/or sectors simultaneously, and talk via ALL of them! The rake receiver can even take advantage of signals bounced off of nearby buildings or structures, called multi-path. In multi-path situations, the rake receiver has to time correct the signal because bounced signals take longer to reach your phone than line of sight signals. Then the rake takes all these signals, and combines them together for maximum effect.

This is the short short explanation of rake theory, but if the rake in your phone is poorly engineered, it will have a hard time taking advantage of all the signal that is available. If the time correction algorithms are a little off, the rake may be ignoring some signals alltogther.

I highly recommend Nokia's for their RF performance, as well as some of the higher-end Kyoceras for their CDMA RF performance. Others may disagree with me on the Kyoceras, but by the numbers, they technically perform very well.