Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Number porting

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by bjadams44, Sep 8, 2006.

1. bjadams44

bjadams44 New Member

I was hoping to switch from Tracfone prepaid to T-Mobile prepaid and would like to port my tracfone number. The T-Mobile web site seems to say this is possible but the folks at the T-Mobile booth at Costco say I cannot port a pre-paid number. I emailed T-Mobile for a clarification but got no answer. Anyone know for sure if I can port my prepaid number?

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. elmo01

elmo01 Senior Member

you can port a prepaid number...it has to be active at the time of the port... you will need your account number aso call customer care ahead of time

4. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    most major prepaid companies support roaming but i know sometimes you can port the number in but then they don't support porting the number out......i've heard people saying that sometimes the port request is denied even if they are in the same area......sometimes this happens with Virgin Mobile

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bjadams44

bjadams44 New Member

6. bjadams44

bjadams44 New Member

Just to let you know, I got a reply from T-Mobile and they say I cannot port a pre-paid number.

Thanks for your replies.

7. george_r_1961

george_r_1961 New Member

My Phone:
    blackberry 8330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ntelos
    The reason why ..and im guessing, is that these numbers are leased by tracfone and therefore cannot be ported.

8. bjadams44

bjadams44 New Member

Maybe but Virgin Mobile is making noises like they will be able to port my Tracfone number so I may try them.

A little history here..... I started with Tracfone some years ago and after a time updated my phone thinking I could keep my number. Well after buying a new phone, Tracfone told me they would have to give me a new number. I complained all the way up to the FCC at which point a Tracfone rep. called me to make an offer of free minutes to get me to go away. I agreed but I have a feeling that these companies are breaking the rules. A number should be yours to keep whether it is contract or pay as you go.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yes but number porting does cost money and time hey don;t charge you for that on prepaid but those of you who have postpaid know that most companies charge around a dollar for WLNP under the taxes, excise, and surcharge section of you bill

prepaid companies can't charge you this except in Virgin's case where they let you get a set amount of minutes a month and then they will charge you a certain amount of taxes plus the amount of money for the minutes.......Boost doesn't do this for their prepaid premium plan......you get charged exactly what you agreed to each month

10. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Oh they charge it, it's just factored into your per minute price and not itemized.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that sounds reasonable but they don't charge you that much and they have to know what the average user will use over time because they will only glean the money when you use it so (although this may never happen) they can have a lot of customers go for a long period of time without usage and they need to plan so that all ends will meet....

this is probably why they impose 90-day periods before your service expires.....