Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Number portability on Simple Freedom, FCC rules

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by cra191w, Dec 18, 2004.

1. cra191w

cra191w New Member

My Phone:
    sch u340
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I just bought a new Nokia 3587 for Simple Freedom. I was under the impression that any number can be ported regardless of prepaid or contract. I am currently with Verizon and my contract is up. I really want to keep my existing number because I am looking for a new job and I have sent out resumes with my current cell number. Simple Freedom customer sevice tells me that they can't switch my number and I have to call Verizon. I also checked with Alltel customer service and they tell me that my number cannot be switched unless it is to a new contract plan. I was also told this a Verizon salesperson. I thought cell carriers were required to let me keep my number under the FCC rules. I am looking at the
    Tracfone website and it looks like I can switch easily with them. Does anyone what the situation is with number portability on Simple Freedom and Verizon prepaid? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. cra191w

cra191w New Member

My Phone:
    sch u340
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I went with Tracfone because I could easily port my number without a hassle and they have a christmas special that was too good to pass up. It ended up being 470 minutes, up to 1 year of use, and a refurbished moto 120c for $100. I will file an fcc complaint with alltel and verizon for their lack of cooperation with number portability. Hopefully, I will get that issue resolved and switch over to one of their prepaid plans.
    This is what I can tell about my tracfone plan in the Richmond/ Hampton Roads area FYI:
    uses alltel's network
    local network boundaries: southern is NC state line,
    nothern is Mattaponi/North Anna/York River,
    western is approximately US 15,
    eastern is the chesapeake bay/ atlantic ocean,
    network also includes gloucester and currituck counties
    I drove to Dumfries on I95 and phone went to analog from North Anna River to Dumfries. It appears Alltel does not have coverage along 95 past this point

If anyone knows a link to get a good map or info of the Alltel's coverage, I would appreciate it. The best I can find is from their prepaid plan. It's a good guidline, but I would really like more detail for Virginia and NC.

3. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    No company has to port in any number; companies have to port out numbers. You can't force Alltel to port in your VZW number if they don't want to.

http://www.wirelesswavelength.com will show you where Alltel is licensed. There's no good coverage map.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is interesting. I wonder why a carrier would say "No" to porting in a number. That's not very customer friendly. :confused:

5. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Some may say too much money and work for too little gain. It could make things a lot easier on their billing systems, etc. if there were no ported-in numbers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...