Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

North Central MN Coverage

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by cukoz, Aug 21, 2007.

1. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

Hello. I used to be an alltel customer, and well, wish I never left, now having to deal with Verizon and Sprint. I am going to be working a lot in the Brainerd, and Walker, MN areas, and in those rurals areas around there. I noticed on the alltel map that they have those counties highlighted in blue that they have native service there, but when I called in they said they only have service over towards Fargo and SW MN. What is up with that? Will they ever convert over those other areas?

2. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    There is nothing to "convert". There are 2 cellular and 7 PCS licenses issued by the FCC. Alltel does NOT own either of the cellular licenses in the central part of the state. They only own a couple of markets in NW MN. The only 2 companies that own the cellular licenses in Northern MN are Dobson, soon to be AT&T, and RCC, soon to be Verizon.

Your other choice(s) would be Sprint, and maybe a couple of other PCS companies.

3. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

Then why does this map from alltel corporate show so much more native coverage then? MN Map.jpg

4. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    They own soem PCS licenses in the North Central area of MN. I don't think they've built it out, but I sure can't confirm that.

Andrew Shepard has maps posted for most cellular licenses. They're not perfect since companies keep merging, but this one's actually for the Alltel Cellular licenses.

http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/alltel_cel.html

I'm not sure where you found that map. If it's from the investor relations area, it's just a map of their assets. I can't imagine they'd invest the money in building out the PCS license. If they did, I wouldn't recommend anyone relying on it, seeing how bad Sprint is in a lot of the rural areas.

Dan