Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

North Cascades Cell Coverage?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by t6821hn, Sep 11, 2007.

1. t6821hn

t6821hn Junior Member

My Phone:
    Vertu Ascent Ti Knurled
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile, Iridium
    In late September I will heading to the North Cascades, staying in a town called Glacier for 2 days. I'm going to Heather Meadows to photograph Mt. Shuksan from Picture Lake. According to VZW coverage locator there's no coverage in Glacier but there is something at the ski area of Heather Meadows. Can anyone confirm this assertion?

After Glacier I'm traveling to Marblemount for a few days to visit Diablo Lake and Ross Lake NRA.
    VZW appears to cover the mentioned areas. As for ATT Wireless, its website states that no coverage is available either at Glacier or Heather.

Of course, a coverage report will be available once I get back but if anyone can shed some insight on the these areas it would be great. I'm looking to avoid making satellite calls if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. t6821hn

t6821hn Junior Member

My Phone:
    Vertu Ascent Ti Knurled
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile, Iridium
    For those interested, VZW has coverage from I-5/542 intersection to about mile 19. After that the coverage drops off until you get to Heather Meadows which is near the end of state route 542. Nearest cities of Maple Falls and Glacier have nothing so satellite is the only thing available. Cingular also has service at Heather.

Highway 9 from 542, both Cingular and VZW have extensive coverage with one dropout for about 3 miles. From Sedro-Wooley on highway 20 heading east, coverage from both companies are available with Cingular dropping off at or near Marblemount. Surprisingly, VZW has voice and EVDO at Marblemount. Venturing into the North Cascades National Park, nothing was available from a little bit beyond the Visitor Center. I went as far as Ross Lake then turned around since the weather was pretty poor.

Phones used were the Samsung A795, Qualcomm 1600, Vertu Constellation and Iridium 9505a. Now my new Motorola M800 bag phone will replace the former 2 phones. Having tried out the new bagphone I think I finally found the phone that will compliment my Vertu. Sturdy, great speakerphone, and excellent voice quality (landline sounding) the phone is pretty good. Although big and cumbersome for travel, it does encompass all the qualities of a phone that I prefer.

Hope this report helps anyone thinking about going to the North Cascades.