Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- Noob Seeks Wisdom

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by TheArkLady, May 24, 2011.

1. TheArkLady

TheArkLady New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Evo 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've been researching mobile the last two weeks since I need to move into mobile marketing.

At the moment Sprint has offered me a pretty good deal--Evo 4G for $100 with new contract, no activation fee, 700 voice, unlimited data with 10% off monthly bill...this is on a plan that is advertised for $69.99 per month + $10 for the smart phone.

However, when I read the contract, it looks like it will be more like $95 per month with surcharges and taxes. I wonder what the cost factors really might be--I've been on prepaid a long time. Can anyone let me know if that is about right?

Do you know of other ways I can get the rate down further? Coupons or other discounts I could ask for? I found that switching over might take off another $50 upon purchase.

I want to tether to my computer which will make it acceptable but I was really looking to try and keep my cost factors to $50-60 per month.

My local area offers Verizon (heavily dislike them and want to avoid) and Sprint. I saw that Virgin Mobile has a beyond talk program with the blackberry (which is also on special) for $60 per month.

Also, wondering if I could tether on the VM program. I don't need the latest and greatest but am moving to start doing mobile marketing. Not sure how to proceed.

I searched threads but most of the posts I see are not very current. Thanks in advance for help or links.

2. Cellsite

Cellsite New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon,Sprint,
    Hi Before you settle on a carrier I would use the resources we have here on the top of the page click on the resources tab there you can enter your zip code and find out who has service coverage in your area that should give you a starting point ( the most important thing is service coverage ) and as far as the taxes and fees they are all about the same i hope this helps :)

3. Cellsite

Cellsite New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon,Sprint,
    another site that can give you service coverage is
    cellrecption.com

4. mmillard

mmillard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Remarq
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    A word of caution and advice:
    Be careful when using these online resources - they are notoriously inaccurate.

For example, I just checked a zip code & surrounding area at random (in a top-20 market).
    The CellReception web site shows 5 towers for one of the larger carriers.
    I cannot tell you which one because I'm under an NDA with that carrier as a engineering services vendor.

The actual number is 31 towers.

That's a HUGE DIFFERENCE, and I suspect it gets much worse in lower-ranked markets, perhaps showing no towers at all.
    Your best bet is to check the carrier's online coverage map.
    All the major carriers publish them.

Ask for the opinions of your friends and neighbors who actually USE those networks.
    That's probably your best bet. Do not be misled by the arbitrary precision these online non-carrier websites supposedly offer.

5. mmillard

mmillard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Remarq
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    FYI -
    Last I checked, Virgin Mobile is owned by Sprint/Nextel.
    So if you dislike Sprint, Virgin Mobile may not suit you either...?
    Update: This is an edited post - I think I misunderstood your original comment to say you disliked Sprint. I'm guessing now that is not the case, as I re-read your post.

Anyway....

Virgin Mobile is a MVNO, a "Mobile Virtual Network Operator", meaning, essentially, they don't have a network of their own, or an FCC license. See the link below for a nearly complete listing of MVNO's in the United States:

List of US MVNO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. TheArkLady

TheArkLady New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Evo 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Thanks, I am aware that VM uses the Sprint network. It is Verizon I dislike and left. I transitioned over to VM then and just signed on with Sprint.

So far so good and I am loving all the incentives and bonuses they gave me to lure me over.

PS you must be online now as I just saw your update. Thanks for chiming in anyway.

7. Cellsite

Cellsite New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon,Sprint,
    Thank you with any service coverage advice its best to go with word of mouth from friends you actually know I did not realise these sites were not accurate thanks again I dont want to miss lead anyone.