Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Non-expandable memory options

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Aug 23, 2015.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I readily admit that none of the options below are "optimal" compared to what we used to have with phones that accepted MicroSD cards. But such phones are becoming rarer. I want to capture here alternatives for those looking to expand their non-expandable phones.

Probably the absolute best solution is to have a protective case that has a battery and MicroSD slot built into it. The Incipio Offgrid is such a case but it is only available to the S6 (at present).

For the rest of us (all other brands including iphones) there are the following options:
    OTG (On The Go) plugs and cables. (If you search Amazon for OTG and the brand/model of your phone, you might find a specific cable)

If you have come across specific products you would like to recommend, I encourage you to share those in this thread. Thanks

Mods: If you don't feel this belongs here, feel free to move it.

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I don't know what you need the extra memory for. I don't need much storage space. I can get by with minimal storage.

I don't install many applications. I have photos backed up on cloud through Google, Flickr and my computer. I have music backed up on the cloud through Google and Amazon and my computer. I have spreadsheets backed up on Google and my computer.

Maybe you could use the cloud more.

RadioRaiders likes this.
  3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    For me it's the Here Maps that uses all that storage. Without those I could get by on the 16GB very easily.

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    It does sound like you are one that has ready access to the cloud. Not all users do and even those that do may have a preference for local storage. In rebuttal to your statement "Maybe you could use the cloud more," I would say that maybe I choose not to. o_O (I use Google docs extensively for document files. However my music and pics I prefer to keep locally.)

our3rotts and palandri like this.
  5. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    How much addtional space do need? 64GB? 128GB? 256GB?

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @palandri: At present, it is still a moot point. I still have my Note3 and don't see that I'll be making any upgrade decision before mid-November / early December. Most likely, I will buy a 64GB unit and then use my current 64GB MicroSD card in my Note3 and an OTG unit. But I've not made any hard-fast decisions yet. Much of what I'm reading about this year's new devices seems to be a downgrade from options I've had in the past. Maybe my viewpoint is the real problem. Maybe I need to accept this sealed batteries and non-expandable memory is the new standard. Observation has taught me that when people get used to a particular standard, they don't like change. "Old habits die hard."

I readily admit that at age 64 I've noticed I am becoming very set in my ways and I make no apology about it. (In my youth, I always used to apologize for my opinions, feeling that I wasn't important. Now, I realize that I have just as much right to stick up for what I believe as anyone else does. Still, I have to accept that living in the past is counterproductive. As one rude person told me on a another forum, "shut up old fart and go get yourself a flip phone." I then realized that no amount of complaining, no matter how right I feel I am, is going to change a whole industry.)

our3rotts and palandri like this.