Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia's GAIT Phone announced!

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by erub, Jan 7, 2002.

1. erub

erub Junior Member

Well I'm excited about this one. I was going to try to get the 6360, but this is going to make me hold off on it I think. Here's the press release. I'm glad they included AMPS support as well, it will shaddup my Uncle :)

They are allowing 5 entries per contact on all their new phones, the 6360, 8390 and this one - why couldn't they do it on the 3360 :(

Audio equalizer sounds awesome - some people complain that I am too loud (well in person also :), but I never have a problem hearing them thru my earpiece. Voice dialing as well is available (not sure how useful it is), and they say 4 hours TDMA/5 hours GSM talktime and 16 days standby with a lithium ion (much better than the 3360's NiMH), wow :)

First half of 2002...well, maybe Cingular will offer it by August :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice! What does the phone look like?

3. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Anyone have any info on when nokia might release a flip phone again

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Anyone have any info on when nokia might release a flip phone again or more phones for the verizon/alltel network

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. erub

erub Junior Member

As far as flip phones from Nokia, I don't think that they were very sucessful so Nokia has sort of pushed those aside in their current phone lineup. Nokia next phone for CDMA probably will be a 1xRTT (is this correct?) compatible phone.

7. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Nokia really missed the boat with this one. The only flip phone they have ever produced (to my knowledge and not counting the 9000 series) is the analog-only, oddly-shaped 282. I can see why Nokia would think they failed if they are going to base their "try" on that one phone.

Now they've come out with another contortion, the 5510. (Not available in the USA.) Surely if they can design such odd phones, music, data devices, they can design a "do-able" flip phone. Maybe their upcoming "slide/hide" phones will satisfy the flip-phone market.

8. Eastexan

Eastexan New Member

The Nokia 6162 is a flip phone and its great. It is a 6160 with a flip. But it was dropped from AT&T's line up just before it dropped the 6160 for the newer technology. I personally prefer a flip phone(active flip that is), but I know that I am in the minority.

Ronnie

9. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Eastexan:

I had actually forgotten about the 6162. But somehow a phone with a keypad cover that flips open just doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark as the Motorola or LG flips. To me, it was just a "candybar"-style phone with a keypad cover that flips open. Remove the cover and you have a 6160. Sorry if I'm splitting hairs.

kev

10. erub

erub Junior Member

I found some pictures of this phone:
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/01/10/gfx/nokia_6340_01.jpg
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/01/10/gfx/nokia_6340_02.jpg
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/01/10/gfx/nokia_6340_03.jpg
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/01/10/gfx/nokia_6340_04.jpg

I talked to a Cingular rep today, and he said that Cingular still wants to "test" GSM better in this market (being Texas) - I told him about how they were already GSM on the west coast, and that there was no need to test it, it was already proven. But he seemed to think it won't be until August 2003 until the major cities in Texas get GSM (Dallas, College Station, Houston, Galveston and Austin are the places I'm interested in). In that case, it would make more sense for me to get a 6360 (TDMA only) rather than the 6340 (which I think would mainly be good if I could use GSM most everywhere, but needed TDMA backup).

11. erub

erub Junior Member