Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia vs. Motorola Question : My 1st Nokia..

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by 714tmobile, Apr 29, 2005.

1. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hello..

I've recently converted to Nokia from using Motorolas and even a Samsung for the past few years.

I love my 6600! Works wonderfully, but have to ask about the signal reception bars...

My phone pulls solid reception and seems to have as good (maybe a little better) reception as my old Moto V60. However, I noticed the Signal Strength bars fluctuate a little more often than they did on the V60. What I mean by fluctuating is that it can go from 3, to 4, to 2, to 1, back to 3, all while sitting in the same fair reception area. The phone works great and makes good phone calls, which leads me to believe I'm just being OC over the whole thing.

So, my question is, would this be normal for Nokia, or more specific, this type of phone?

Thanks to anyone for taking the time to answer my humble question.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, It is normal for the 6600 & most other Nokias. :)

3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I haven't spend much time with my Moto to say for sure,but I think it has to due with the mgfr settings.

If you put any phone in 'field test mode' its RF meter will respond to fluctuations in signals in milliseconds. In the 'bar' mode, the mfgr smooths the time response, so it responds in seconds to RF fluctuations. That means that the reading the bars shows, may have happened a second or two before. I can see this very clearly on my Nokia's

I think the Moto just have a even slower, or longer smoothing function, so they vary less.

In all cases, the true RF fluctuations seen by the phone are the same. It just means that the quality of your signal is not greatly effected by these rapid variations, as long as you have some signal! The smoothing or slower time response prevents the customer from worrying too much about their signal level.

4. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you all for your helpful replies--gotta love Wireless Advisor :)

I just noticed that the Nokia seemed more "sensitive" than the Motorola, but even w/ just one bar it works just fine w/ very little interruption whereas the Motorola has no signal at best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dallison

dallison Senior Member

glad you like your nokia

6. Dieseldoug

Dieseldoug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto i760
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Having had Nokias for over 10 years I listened to my buddy who has a V551 and loves it. So I bought the V551 and hated every minute of it. Moto's are known for their poor signal strength and call drops, in my experience.

Be happy you have a Nokia and pray that someday Nokia releases a flip in the U.S.

7. xikle

xikle For rent: inquire below

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    You may have gotten a dud Moto, when their bad their really bad but when their good it makes a great phone. I've had good luck with the Moto's I have, but it really varies by phone.