Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia PC Suite Connectivity Trouble w 6360

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by DougR, Aug 24, 2002.

1. DougR

DougR New Member

I'm having a hard time getting my 6360 to connect with my PC via Nokia PC Suite. It did once - thank God - and I was able to sync the phone and load it with my Outlook contacts. But now, it won't connect again. Have tried changing COM port settings, etc.

I'm running Windows NT 4.0 on the PC (it's on a corporate network, in a docking station). Come to think of it, the one time it sync'd it was OUT of the docking station and the cord was plugged directly into the back. But that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

2. TC

TC New Member

Well I'm having the same problem using win98, I never was able to ever get it hooked up once ... so consider yourself lucky. I tried the Infared hook up to a laptop (yes I activated the Infared on the phone), but it didn't work either. Nokia send me a "like new" phone with the same problem (and I have to pay for the shipping). I brought the DLR-3P cable to a cell phone shop and they said it was good.
    Nokia or AT&T aren't much help. Will check back and will leave a message if there is any positive progress. Hope everyone else will do the same.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a 6360 and it is VERY testy about connecting....it seems like you have to hold your mouth just right...sneeze right as you are placing it in the cradle and yell (loudly I may ad) as it is trying to connect. I have not been able to get it to work as a wireless modem as it is supposed to with the DLR-3P cable, so any ideas on that would be appreciated.

4. gnn

gnn New Member

Never made it work! Tried with IRDA not the cable, but why should I spend more money? IRDA was advertised by Nokia as a feature for PIM synchronization and does not work. Why should a cable work?

5. Nokiaman18

Nokiaman18 Junior Member

Can not get mine to work either... Even tried a new cable and even a different phone still no go. Then I went out and got myself a Nokia 6385 and still no go..

6. clawcalvin

clawcalvin New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6360
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    I got my new 6360 to connect to my Win2k laptop via irda just fine... Just pointed it at the back of the machine and Bill told me there was a Nokia 6360 wanting to talk to me! Amazing.
    I think win2k+ might be the key. Tho there are plenty of people on www.forum.nokia.com discussing connectivity via win98 with nokia developers, so maybe your answer is there.

7. BadKarMah

BadKarMah New Member

I just got the 6360 and was able to get it connected to my laptop w/ irda. However, my desktop computers running 2000 and XP will not connect through the serial cable I have. Not sure what type of cable it is, but I originally bought a sync software called fonesync for the 6160. I tried two different desktops and all the com ports and both serial ports.

it would be nice to get this working with serial.

8. Rube

Rube New Member

I may have a quick solution for you. Are you using a Dell laptop? If yes, the problem is that the IR port is deactivated when plugged into the docking station. This may occur with other brands too, but I know for sure about the Dell. Try syncing again with the laptop undocked.

If this works, there is a way to get it to worked while docked, but you may think it is crazy... My Dell inspiron 4000 docking station (as well as most inspiron series docks) DOES have an IR port. The problem is that it is covered by the shell. Remove the back cover (the big hump in the back) and you can see that it is on the right side, just left of the headphone port. I just drilled a hole in the shell where the IR receiver is and WOILA, it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I know it sounds crazy, but it is on a number of Dell message boards about IRDA. Otherwise, you must undock everytime you want to sync. There's no way to activate it on the dock via software. Beleive me I tried and tried and tried.

9. BadKarMah

BadKarMah New Member

My problem is not with the irda connection on my Toshiba laptop. It's trying to connect the 6360 to any desktop computer with the serial cable. I was able to use the serial cable (not sure what type) with the Nokia phone number duplicator. Thank God, I was able to sync the numbers from my 6160. But, getting it to work with the Connectivity suite is next to impossible. I tried unsucessfully on 4 different desktop computers.

10. BadKarMah

BadKarMah New Member

[​IMG] Okay, I got my Phone connected to a Software program called Oxygen Phone Manager II. It connected immediately through com1, and I'm guessing I have a DAU-9P cable. The problem is that the software is shareware. It just amazes me how Nokia's own program does not work on it's phones.

someone enlighten me, please!

11. BadKarMah

BadKarMah New Member

I went to the nokia support site hoping for updates. Nope.

I guess I should go get a usb irda adapter

12. Shmeek

Shmeek New Member

Hmmm....this is all so strange. I've had zero problems with Nokia's PC suite and the 6360. I set up 20 phones using it to synchronize with an address book....even used the software to import data from an old 6190 (GSM) phone. Worked like a charm.

However...then I tried to deploy the 6385 to all my users. I'm having all kinds of problems on W2K, from dropped connections (the phone has supposedly been disconnected), duplicate address book entries, to not being able to read the 6360s. Switched to Win98 and all's been good so far, but I stopped deployment after a few phones due to a CDMA issue.

13. BadKarMah

BadKarMah New Member

it's true that all the machines I've tried it on have win2000 on it. but it should work darn it

14. Lesiz

Lesiz New Member

I had no luck trying to link my 6360 to my PC. Actually, the windows IR monitor did recognize the 6360, but the Nokia Connection manager software did not. I called Nokia Tek Support, and they said that the IRDA has to be built-in, not external; and that you cannot have anti-virus software running while connecting through IR to the 6360!!!!!
    Why don't they tell us that up front instead of waiting till we have to call tek support?
    Esasperating

15. JReagle

JReagle New Member

Greetings to all. I just purchased a 6360 yesterday, and am really liking it so far. The only discouraging thing has been seeing that XP is not compatible with the PC Suite Nokia has available on it's website. Does anyone know if it will still work, or if there is any other way of syncing it with a computer running XP? Thanks.

16. BadKarMah

BadKarMah New Member

Okay folks,
    Here's an update: I have like a desktop at home, a laptop, and a desktop at work.
    the only way I was able to connect was with the laptop on Infrared. I bought a infrared adapter for my work desktop, but it doesn't work! Now how am I supposed to sync my stuff with my Outlook at work?

Anyone having this much problems?

17. fReAkEdOuT

fReAkEdOuT New Member

Hi!

Got my 7650 yesterday and hooked it up to my PC - works to some degree but I haven't been able to launch the PC Suite yet. My desktop PC (W2K SP3) is equipped with a 3Com Bluetooth adapter (USB), according to the device manager a couple of virtual COM devices (serial client, serial host etc.) have been set up successfully and are running just fine. However, when I launch the Connection Properties from the panel it claims that only COM1+2 are available, the remaining COM ports are not even listed. Sending files to and fro works just fine btw. Contacted Nokia by email earlier this day but I don't think there will come much out of it. I've tried to reinstall both, the 3Com and Nokia software several times but it didn't work out the way I thought it might. Any ideas on this one?

18. Derk

Derk New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3586i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South
    I had this phone a few months ago and was told that the connectivity problem was because of software in the phone. I called Nokia about it and they said that they were aware of this problem. They told me that I needed to send it in and they would update the software on the phone. In my case, every time I connected the data cable to the phone, it would recognize the data cable as a headset. I wouldn't recommend sending it to Nokia. In most cases the software can be updated in house at your local cellular phone store avoiding shipping costs. I talked to a tech. in my local cellular store and I was told that the problem came from the fact that the 6360 was running a modified version of the software on the 3360. The 3360 only supports IR connectivity.[​IMG]

19. latrapeze

latrapeze New Member

Try shutting the phone off and restarting. This has worked for me. Good Luck!

20. CDubBle

CDubBle New Member

An old thread, but I'll post anyway...
    After fighting with phone Duplicator I finally got it to copy from my 5160 to my 6360. Now I've got the same problem as everyone else - I waited 3 @#@%@#$ weeks for a DLR3P and the software and phone refuse talk to each other. MY unique contributio is that, when I plug the cord into the phone wihtout it being connected to the PC, it will say "data accessory connected". Plug it to the computer, and there's the little headset. Strange...I'm going to take it to a nokia store or something...hopefully they can update it without erasing everything.

21. CDubBle

CDubBle New Member

Oh, well. I tried Oxygen Phone Manager 2 with the DLR-3p and the DAU 9p. Nothing. COM's 1 & 5 - "no port found", COM's 3 & 4 "unknown error". This is tiring. Hope you all are enjoying the summer....