Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia Lumia 900

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices for All Other Operating Systems' started by charlyee, Apr 16, 2012.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Pictues taken with my Lumia on a partly cloudy day. They are completely untouched, no enhancement, no cropping, no white balance etc and all settings on auto.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    4 people like this.
  2. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am starting week Two on the Lumia and decided to do a review but a little differently. :cool:

Week 1 - What I love about this phone (obviously the honeymoon oeriod$

Week 2 - What could be better (since there is no perfect phone or OS)

Week 3 - What completely sux.

So, here is week 1:

1. The build quality is superb, the polycarbonate unibody fits perfectly in my hand.
    2. The weight is just right
    3. The location of the "on" button makes it easy to turn the screen on and unlock with one hand
    4. The charging port on top makes it easier to use vehicle chargers
    5. The black screen makes it very legible in bright sunlight.

6. The reception is truly stellar, I am being able to get a reasonable signal from places that was a hit or miss
    7. The call quality is excellent on both ends, judging by unsolicited comments from smart Alec friends wanting to know if AT&T has done something to their network since I sound so clear.
    8. The GPS is quick and dead on.
    9. Speaker phone and VVM are loud and clear
    10. The BT and WiFi connect quickly and effortlessly.

11. WP is a clean, uncluttered, and efficient OS
    12. It is buttery smooth and fluid
    13. The calendaring and to do list are perfect for someone used to Outlook
    14. It came with mobile MS Office which is far superior to Docs to Go and other such apps.
    15. Nokia drive is an adequate navigation app and even chirps when I go over the speed limit.
    16. Nokia maps ofcourse can be used offline.
    17. The Live Tiles make it easy to see what needs attention at a quick glance.
    18. The battery life was a very pleasant surprise. I am still playing with it and after using it for 12-14 hours I end up with 25-30% left. The users that came from Android and iOS have both commented on it.

That's all I can think of right now, I will add to my list things i missed until week two review is due. ;)

Additional:
    1. The on screen keyboard is one of the best standard ones I have used.
    2. The ability to control notification ringtones separate form call ringtones. This was removed in ICS on the Android.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 charlyee, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    6 people like this.
  3. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Re: Nokia Lumia - interesting read

I got mine the Friday before AT&T released it thanks to my pre-order.

So far so good. Different but that's okay and part of what I like about it.

Great build quality but hoping for a slightly thinner, lighter and sleeker version next time around.

The only app I really miss is my Chase Bank App since WP7 doesn't have it yet.

Nokia really included some good software for free download including Nokia Drive which I think is a great alternative to Google Maps Navigation. I like how you can customize the voice/language and even the gender.

Despite its single core this thing doesn't freeze up like Android (yet) despite everything I've download onto it.

1 person likes this.
  4. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Excellent review Charlyee.

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985)

5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the great review, Charlyee. I am glad that you are enjoying your Lumia 900. :D

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello there, I am glad you are liking yours, I moved your post to the review thread I started so all the reviews will be together, thank you for posting one and hoping to hear more.

I am not seeing a female US English on Nokia Drive, were you able to find one?

Just out of curiosity what Android did you have previously?

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 900)

#6 charlyee, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Week 2 - What could be better.:

1. The picture quality in low light/indoors (non flash), obvious from the attached pictures.
    2. Web browsing is very fast and smooth but not all web sites render correctly.
    3. The Gmail is pretty basic compared to Android but ofcourse that is to be expected.

That's all I have found so far, I will add when I find other issues. :)

I am trying to not go crazy dowloading apps, like I did for my Androids, so I have following on my Lumia for now:

1. Accuweather
    2. Amazon Kindle
    3. XE Currency*
    4. Board Express
    5. Flashlight - X
    6. Gas Buddy
    7. Lunar Phases
    8. My AT&T
    9. My Stock Portfolio
    10. Nokia Drive
    11. Scoremobile
    12. TripAdvisor
    13. Walgreens
    14. WhitePages

EDIT: The latest update to My Stocks Portfolio now includes the currency exchange rates, enabling me to un install the XE Currency.

WP may not have the quantity of apps available on iOS or Android but the ones they have are quality apps and with combined functionality.

Attached Files:

#7 charlyee, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Nice reviews Charlyee. Its nice to see you're still in love with your lovely Lumia. :-D

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985)

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Joe and don't be fresh :D

Apps:

The biggest complain about any WP7 device is the lack of apps, so I was a little apprehensive to start out with. As it turned out there are already 60,000 apps in the Marketplace and new ones getting added every day.

I was able to find almost everything I need including some nice to haves. The only one that I need and haven't been able to find a match is "Bedside". Although being able to turn off just the E-Mail notification, is somewhat of a workaround.

Oops, almost forgot - there is no easy way to do screen capture yet, but I am sure it's coming, it took awhile for Android as well.

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 900)

10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I had considered the Nokia Lumia 900, every review I've read of the phone has been great and I know its won several editor choice awards from different online publications. However my biggest thing was lack of applications and I use Google services quite a bit including Google Music. I still find the WP7 application market to be too lacking for me. iOS and Android have hands down the best application market and I do use quite a number of apps. I'm so use to android and gotta say the Skyrocket caught my addition which has done very well in reviews itself and gotten some editor's choice awards as well.

I hope windows finds its stride and honestly the smart phone market is big enough to support 3 OS's I believe. I can see iOS, Android, and WP7 all existing together just fine. I think we all know Blackberry (RIM) is the fourth horse in the race that's on its last legs.

1 person likes this.
  11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am very happy with the Lumia in every respect and also how well Nokia is supporting and backing it.

Since a handful of users had data connectivity problems an update was rolled out within 5 days of the launch and all restocking fee waived on returns.

Nokia just didn't stop there, anyone who got a Lumia before April 21 got $100 credited to their bill, not just people with problems.

Mine just showed up today, that was quite fast. :cool:

PS: it appears that Steve Wozniak likes it as well:
    http://anewdomain.net/2012/04/26/ap...-wozniak-why-i-love-my-windows-phone-7-5-fan/

#11 charlyee, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  12. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    What, they couldn't fix the connectivity problem with a little plastic case? :)

1 person likes this.
  13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yeah really! Not just that but at least they could have done a video to show is that we were holding it wrong. :lmao:

1 person likes this.
  14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Week 3 - What Sux

This one is really hard since there really is nothing that is a deal breaker for me. Certainly there are a couple of things that could always be improved and will probably be with the next update. The benefits and the positives far out weugh any inconvenience.

For those of who don't know my history, for SmartPhones, I have used, Symbian 60, WM 2003 SE, WM 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, Blackberry OS 5, Android Versions 1.6, 2.1. 2.2. 2.3, 2.4, 4.03, iOS 4.0X, 5.1. I can honestly say that I have never used any OS that is so beautiful, fluid, buttery smooth, and fast. I have also managed to crash all my devices including by BB9700 which was considered to be too stable, I will be sure to test out the stability of WP7.5 :cool:

If I had to pick one thing, I would say the decorative metal strip at the back, which appears to scratch if I even look at it wrong. The rest of the phone appears invincible comparatively. So i did what what any self respecting engineer would do - stuck a piece of clear tape on it. :D

Two pictures for quality comparion, a standard outdoor shot and an extreme close both on auto setting.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Okay Charlyee, nice reviews to read. May I comment and inquire for the sake of discussions?

Why is the photo of the 'Mini' nameplate out of focus? It doesn't seem to be a very extreme close up. What was the camera-object distance?

Although the iPad and iPhone have the same iOS number, I think the experience of your iPad does not track fully to the iPhone. Some things are very different, i.e. the iPad does not make phone calls. Others are subtle, but I find the phone a more integrated experience than our iPad, especially since one is a one hand device and the smoothness in the interface with the phone operations cannot be experienced with the iPad.

You never explained in detail why you had to get the Lumia replaced with you did the software upgrade to fix the connectivity problem (which you did not have). How did that upgrade crash/freeze the Lumia that required a replacement?

Just curious, as you would say. :)

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks viewfly.

The Mini nameplate is the center of the steering wheel. It is out of focus for a variety of reasons, there was a mixture of light falling on it, the reflection of the Lumia and the fact that i didn't use the macro function to name a few. It was probably 2-3" distance. As I mentioned the camera is not the best feature of the Lumia, but good enough for fishing pictures. :D

The update didn't mess up the phone, it was my inexperience in using a Mac to upgrade a non iOS device that did it. I updated the replacement phone, keeping in mind the lesson learnt from the previous one and it went smoothly.

Hope that answers your questions. ;)

#16 charlyee, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thank you Charlyee. I see. The Lumina doesn't have an auto macro function then and the WM Lumina upgrade was not an OTA.

Sounds like you managed to erase the phone or something ;)

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Motorola Atrix. : Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 900))

I have no idea what functions the camera has. I never explored it since its not a priority for me. :)

No it was an update directly from Nokia via either Zune or Windows Phone Connector. I believe the updates from AT&T are OTA or at least that's my understanding. :)

BTW, its not WM, it's Windows Phone, aka WP, no resemblance to the prior WM devices. ;)

#18 charlyee, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Just found out that my phone can read messages via BT in the car as well as other times depending on the settings chosen. It almost made me jump when a strange voice said message from such and such Lol. It then prompted me to reply, delete, or end. That was quite neat, not sure if I can initiate a message or just react to one sent, will have to play with it.

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks for the review Charlyee. For me, the camera function is just as important as the OS, music player, the app selection, the browser function, as well as the phone function . The improved cameras in the 3GS, 4 and 4S was a strong motivator for my upgrades. I use the camera a lot, and having one (on the 4S) that is nearly and sometimes better than my canon digital point and shoot, is super.

One overlooked physical feature of the iPhone product line is the 30 pin common connector (common with iPods and iPhones). There are so many fit -for-purpose 3rd party accesories in just about any store from CVS, Walmart, BestBuy and elsewhere.

Walking through BestBuy, I can count 4 models of high end Bose Sound Stations fitted with the Apple dock for music, charging and remote control. And Klipsch, which is what I purchased last year. They all have an AUX input Jack to work with other MP3 players or phones, but the fit-for-purpose feature makes for a nice product. Just pop in the dock for charging or internet radio. With so many different hardware shapes from Androids and now Nokia, it is just impossible for companies like Bose to make one for all.

I doubt that I will be switching back to Nokia products any time soon. Been there, done that.

But I am very happy that you found a Nokia again that works for you! Congrats. Nokia should give you a 'welcome back' letter...well I guess the $100 went a long way towards that!

VF

21. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Not to pick a fight, but those words put together like that are a contradiction in terms :)

Again, not to pick a fight, but thank technology for small favors :)

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    LOL, I get your understanding. :D But did you miss that I purchased a Klipsch?

Anyhow, most people associate Bose with high end sound...and it certainly is when compared to 90% of the other possibilities in Walmart, etc...even Best Buy.

23. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    No, I didn't miss it. In fact, I didn't miss it the first time either: http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/a...roove-sxt-speaker-iphone-ipod.html#post561390 ;)

You're probably right about Walmart, not so sure about Best Buy. After all, my own fascination with Bose was shattered at Good Guys. Have to admit, I was with "most people" once upon a time until I heard Bose side by side with quality speakers -- I believe they may've learned their lesson and are now precluding the possibility of A/B comparison, at least I haven't seen a listening room featuring Bose where you could hear anything else in a while now.

24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes, I did remember that...and why I mentioned it...so you would pick up on it! ;)

Bose are still very impressive. But I really enjoy my Klipsch iPhone player...come home and just plop in my phone, turn on wifi and enjoy internet radio, NPR or whatever.

Immensely great sound from the Klipsch. Very pleased with the sound the the fit-for-purpose iPhone/ipod design. One of the things that keep me with the iPhone.

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was quite surprised to find that a Nokia Lumia review thread turn into yet another iPhone praise thread. I didn't have to look too hard to find that it was our very own dmapr who initiated the derailment. . :D
    Thanks a lot dmapr. :p

So, what does "Lumia" mean? This depends what language we are talking about, in Spanish it is an obscure word for prostitute, In Italian it means lemon or a lemon grower and in Finnish it means snow. Interestingly so far none of the meanings have anything to do with light, which would have been my first guess like lumens, luminescence, luminaire, etc.

Here is an interesting article on Nokia's name choices:
    http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/11/02/naming-the-nokia-lumia/

26. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Oh, sorry about that. Was totally meant to be Bose bashing, not iPhone praising :D

27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You forgot Latin Charlyee. As in Luminare, the giver of light.

lūmĭnāre, āris, n. lumen, that whieh gives light, a light-giver (mostly in plur.).

lūmĭnātor, oris, m. lumino, a giver of light (late Lat.), Aug. c. Faust. Manich. 20, 12

At least no one is Nokia bashing! Not even lumina 900 bashing. I remember one of my iPhone reviews solicited the childish post : 'Apple is crap' and 'never would buy an 'icrap'. Of that sorts.

;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

28. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    A totally meaningless picture I decided to take and the picture of the that picture in my screen - don't ask :p

Just ordered the blue gel case from AT&T.

Attached Files:

#28 charlyee, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Why to you need a case? With that grippy poly back, that would be enough for me ( wish my iPhone came like that).

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

#29 viewfly, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Dan, I forgot to mention before that for Google Music there is a program called Cloud City Music (app) that syncs your Google Music account to your Windows Phone? Unfortunately, the app is mispelled so you have to type in Coud City Music to find it