Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia E50 Business Phone

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by MOTOhooligan, May 18, 2006.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is an awesome phone. The article calls it 'ugly' but I don't think it is. It lacks flash, certainly, but it's designed for business users. It's small and has a ton of features useful for business. If I had a more corporate job, I would seriously consider this phone.

Quad-band GSM with GPRS/EDGE.

Nokia E50

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    it says it has s60, hmmmmmm:browani:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That phone is sweet! A nicer smaller version of the 6682. Plus is must handle dual SIMs as they mention it can have two numbers. If this is the case I may pick this phone up. That way I can have a Cingular & T-Mobile Pre Paid SIM in the same phone. :cool:

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I figured it had to have dual SIMs, also... I have never heard of that and thought it was pretty :censored: cool. If you traveled to Europe a lot, you could have a prepaid European SIM and your US GSM SIM in the same phone and just switch it at the airport. Awesome.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    WOW, very impressive. I can't believe how small it is. I thought the 6230 was small and this is narrower and slimmer than the 6230 and longer by 10mm.

6230: 103x44x20
    E50: 113x43.5x15.5.

I think the idea of dual SIM is fantastic and will come in very handy. I have to re think about wanting the N73, this maybe more what I would want. Thanks for posting the link Hooligan.

Anybody have any idea when the scheduled launch is?

EDIT: Found a link, saying the launch is by end of June, hmm can't wait. The price also seems to be pretty reasonable too. :)

It is not on Nokiausa site but it is on the Europe site, I hope it will be available from Nokiausa directly even if no US carrier wants to pick it up.

6. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    i had a nokia back in 95, with 2 lines of service, one was swbm, and the other was att. one was my personal line the other was my fire line. this was a tdma phone. 638 i think or 918.

what im trying to say is a lot of nokia's are provisiend for 2 line, but when it comes to gsm, thier is only 1 sim allowed at a time. to the best of what i know no one allowes 2 line on 1 sim. sorry.:confused:

7. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, lots of phones have dual NAMs, which allow you to switch between two numbers and, though I've never heard of a phone with two actual SIMs, the listing for this phone seems to confirm that the E50 does have slots for two SIMs, at least that is the impression I got.

The article said, "The ability to use two numbers on the same phone, so if you had one each for work and play before, you can now consolidate and have just the one device." Though, perhaps that means with the same carrier.

For example, if you have two lines with T-Mobile, would it be possible to put the NAMs for both lines on the same SIM and switch between them using an option programmed into the phone? That seems sort of a clumsy way to go about it, though. What if your personal phone is T-Mobile and your work phone is Cingular or CellularONE-Dobson?

Guess we'll have to get more details as the E50 gets closer to release.

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Dual sims have been around for years in europe. Some came in phones directly or in clever battery covers see http://www.formymobile.co.uk/products.php?cat=16 or just google around for more hits.

The cover type come for lots of phones from Nokia 1100 to 6230...cost about $16.

Some don't need covers, they are only card holders on a thin flex circuit. just place inside phone under existing cover. Again, about $16.

ie. Nokia 6230/6230i dual sim cover

- allows you to use two sim cards in one phone
    - no need to cut your sim card like with similar products
    - more convenient than removing your back cover/battery every time you want to swap sim cards
    - combine business/personal lines and address books on one handset
    - switch between networks easily - no more coverage problems!
    - also known as "twin sim covers"

How they work: the 'sim card' from the dual sim cover fits into sim slot on your phone whilst your two sim cards fit into the back of the dual sim cover. Your phone then operates as usual but allows you to switch between two sims without removing the battery first. To alternate between sims simply turn the phone off and on again or flick the switch on the back of the dual sim cover (product dependant).

viewfly

9. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This phone has got to be dual SIM. SIMs have never been able to have more then one number. When I got my first cell, cloning was a big issue with CDMA & TDMA carriers. At the time PAC/Nevada Bell made it a point to tell potential customers about how your number/SIM could not be cloned.

Thanks for sharing viewfly! I had no idea they have been around for that long.

10. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The sim card is just a little memory card and sometimes microprocessor. It is possible to place two phone numbers on one card, although it is not too available.

Here's one from Orange, India from 2002:

http://www.blonnet.com/2002/05/05/stories/2002050501100201.htm

And from 2005, vodaphone, Tmobile offer 2 numbers in one sim, but only in a few countries, and with the same carrrier.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/16/business/wireless17.php

Back on the dual sim card adapters, there is one company that incorportes software (called SAT) that adds a menu to the OS to allow a software menu switch for the two sims. The sim cards must be cut however. See this users experience and recommendations. The software menu looks good. http://1024k.de/dualsim/dual-sim-adapter.html

I don't remember, but there were some nokia or other brand phones that came with 2 sim slots, about 3-5 years ago, but I can find them with google.

11. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    well, like i said i doubt it has duell sim's. but ill be the first to admit it would be pretty cool. we have been talking about this for years now, so im ready. when i had 2 lines on the one phone, whichever line rang i could answer it. and since ive been carry 2 phones since forever, i would love it. so ill just cross my fingers.

12. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Just from reading about it on the Euro site. It sounds like the two number system is more like a forwarding service for the corporate world. The Avaya software makes it possible for workers to use their phone for business & personal use. It is able to seperate all your business activity from the workers personal activity. Oh well I guess my 6682 has nothing to worry about now. :(

13. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was just reading that too and I like that idea even better. Right now I have to manually separate the two. The 6682 is really a great phone and I somewhat regret not having it any more but the lack of 900 was driving me crazy. So for me the E50 has a lot more going for it and it is in a smaller size.

So when is this going to be available from Nokiausa? Any guesses?

14. DougWeller

DougWeller New Member

My Nokia 6600 has only one sim in it, all in can take, but I have 2 numbers.
    With various options -- receive calls on both numbers, only on 1 with the other going to voice, etc. This is new from Vodafone UK.

I had a similar sim but with reduced functionality from Orange 4 years ago.

Doug

15. widow

widow New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, a good one. However, does it have a speakerphone, blue-tooth, and voice dialing? I'm looking for evrything in the E50 plus the above. What do you think? :browani:

16. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

The E50 has all of the above. Detailed specs can be found on Phonescoop. You can also compare it to other phones there.