Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia.com says 6340 is available now with Cingular!!

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Hman, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Hman

Hman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular GSM, O2 GSM
    I looked at Nokia.com's 6340 info and the web site said the 6340 is available right now from Cingular Wireless.

I went to my local Cingular store in Milwaukee last night and they told me the 6340 and other GAIT phones will not be available for another year!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know where in the USA the 6340 (Cingular) is available right now??

I do not want to wait a whole year for this phone.

I am sick of not being able to roam on Cingulars network when in Cingular GSM areas.

I was in Seattle this week and had to roam on ATT. My SMS would not work!!!!!!!

Hman

2. BarryATL

BarryATL Junior Member

As usual, the person in the store gave you very bad information. The 6340 was in many stores a couple of weeks ago ready to go on sale and they were pulled. The phones had to be sent back to the manufacturer for a software upgrade. It should be a matter of weeks. Cingular wants this phone out as soon as possible, but is not going to make the same mistake they made with the 3360 and the 7160 (being pushed to marked before the bugs were worked out). The original 7160 had a 50% return rate the first month it was out.

3. Hman

Hman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular GSM, O2 GSM
    BarryATL, do you have any idea what the price (no contract/commitment) will be for the 6340 from Cingular?

Hman

4. BarryATL

BarryATL Junior Member

I am ashamed. I was speaking with someone at the Northlake Cingular "Super Store" about the 6340. I forgot to ask about the price! They said that they sent 100 of the phones back because of a software problem. She said the manager had told them they should have them back in a couple of weeks, however that is a guess.

I will call tomorrow and ask about the pricing. Cingular has not been as good with price breaks as other carriers on the upper end phones (i.e. V60)... so, we will see.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, either they have good prices on phones, or have excellent rate plans....but not both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My guess on that one is that they jack up the rate plans to help subsidize the phone price, hence you get a cheaper phone, but you pay more for less minutes... such is life. :-( I've heard the phone is going to be $125 WITH a contract... so probably double that without one?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Milkyway

Milkyway New Member

My Phone:
    LG vx4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    << :-( I've heard the phone is going to be $125 WITH a contract... so probably double that without one? >>

I was in a Cingular (YEBO is the independant dealer here) store today. They had the 6340 phones in their store long enough to sell 2 of them, before they found out that they had to ship them back for a "reflash".
    They were able to retrieve 1 phone that had been sold but the other one had traveled to Wisconsin with no information when it would return. They said that the phone seemed to work as promised during their brief tryout.
    They are selling them with contract for $149.00. There is also a $50.00 mail in rebate coupon.

8. NokiaUser

NokiaUser New Member

As on June 14th, Cingular in the Boston area said "sometime in July" for the 6340. The letstalk web site jumped the gun and had it posted for a while last week (no longer) - listed at $99 with Cingular. On another forum, a user claimed the new release date was July 8(?)

9. BarryATL

BarryATL Junior Member

Other forums? I have not really looked. What else is out there that might be reccommended?

10. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    I stopped by the Cingular store on the way home from work today. No 6340 there, they said they had them and then had to return them. Not only don't they have the phone, all brochures on them were requested also.

The person I spoke to said he did not expect to seem them again. He had heard what they will get next is the 6345. Maybe that is why the brochures were requested with the phones. He expected them in a couple of month, not that they will be needed here in Tampa as we are to be the last place in Florida to get the GSM overlay, fall of 2004.

He also said they never received the SIM cards for GAIT phones either.

11. ahecht

ahecht New Member

It is well past July, and there is no 6340 in Boston. Any new dates?

12. G20Ryder

G20Ryder Member

my local store rep showed me the dummy phone for the 6340 about 3 months ago if not more. and it still hasnt ben availabe yet for purchase

13. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was asking about the 6340 here in Cleveland, they had no clue what I was talking about. I know I have traveled to several places where I had to roam on providers networks because Cingular was GSM there. Oh well, guess they dont mind paying the roaming fees, dont cost me any extra.

14. ahecht

ahecht New Member

I finally got an email from Cingular stating:

"Thank you for contacting Cingular Wireless. If you purchase a tri-mode
    phone you will still be able to roam on the GSM network. The Nokia 6340
    will be available later this year in New England, but we do not have an
    exact date. If you purchase the phone in another market, please make
    sure that it is the TDMA model."

15. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

The problems with the GAIT phones are that if you are talking on a GSM site and then hand off onto a TDMA sit the call will drop. But if you are talking on a TDMA site and then hand off onto a GSM site the call will stay up. I was part of a group of people who traveled all over the US using GAIT phones and various GSM phones for all of the carriers. The good thing about GAIT is that they do not charge you for TDMA roaming, unless you are on another carriers site. I.E. you are a ATT customer, and you are talking on a Cingular site. Sometimes the phones don't tell you that you are on another carrier. So you never know that your getting charged extra. One of my co-workers racked up a ATT bill at $2500.00, and another had one from Cingular for $3000.00. Granted our company picked up the billsThat is why Cingular and T-Mobile/Voicestream are waiting. The billing systems are not full proof and the handsets do not work quite right yet. So my advice is beware of using a GAIT phone...you may get q bill that will give you a heart attack......LMAO!!!!!