Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia Clamshell & Operator Branded phones coming Q2

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Fire14, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know this link to Nokia is showing for Europe Etc... but it is a decent Clamshell from Nokia & is due out here in the US & Canada, I just thought some might like to see what it looks like & looks like Nokia is finally listening to the customers.
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,70347,00.html?intl=3M3H85732324

Nokia to support network operator branded handsets

Nokia has decided to jump onto the bandwagon of operator designed handsets at last and is launching a handset that is specifically designed for operators to customise. This is a bit of a backtrack on their previous policy of not overtly customising Nokia handsets with operator branding, a move that resulted in Vodafone seeking the majority of its Vodafone Live handsets elsewhere.

"Operator customization is at the heart of Nokia's strategy for mobile growth," says Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, Executive Vice President, Mobile Phones, Nokia. "Over the past twelve months, Nokia has been working closely with operators to create stronger product differentiation as well as to ensure greater choices and a compelling user experience for consumers. For the first time, we will offer industrial design customization for global GSM operators who are keen to have exclusive designs for their customers. We believe that this will truly be a win-win-win move for consumers, operators, and Nokia."

The Nokia 6101 offers operators extensive software customization options, such as:

User interface look and feel through operator-specific themes
    Branded access to operator services through operator menu and softkey
    Wallpapers, screensavers and ringtones
    Operator branded start-up and shut-down graphics with tones

The Nokia 6101 offers operators extensive software customization options, such as:

In response to the needs of operators, Nokia has for the first time introduced an exclusive mobile phone design for global operator partners. China Mobile Communications Corporation (CMCC), the world's largest mobile operator, will be the first to offer an exclusive operator design for the China market - the Nokia 6102. The Nokia 6102 bears the design DNA of the Nokia 6101, but offers a slightly different look and feel. The Nokia 6102 features a different color scheme, re-designed covers, key mat and even a matching antenna design. Additionally, the Nokia 6102 will include China Mobile's specific menu and branded service access, operator start-up and shut-down graphics and tones, and easy and quick access to CMCC's services.

Both the Nokia 6101 and Nokia 6102 will be available in two versions: a GSM 900/1800/1900 version primarily for Europe, Middle-East, Africa and Asian markets, and a GSM 850/1800/1900 model targeted towards the Americas. The Nokia 6101 and 6102 are expected to start shipping in the second quarter of 2005.

2. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Interesting, looks like Nokia has to hurry up if they want to stay at the top with the likes of Samsung gaining on them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AprilFool

AprilFool Junior Member

I am not sure if I would call this (coming out with clamshells that look like Samsung) progress on Nokia's part.

TheFoolDude

4. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I wasn't completely implying progress on Nokia's part rather that it's about time that they started expanding their handset types for other regions. Here in Europe, you have a lot more flips coming onto the market than candybar-type phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dallison

dallison Senior Member

i like to see the candy bar style instead of the flip

6. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Is Nokia really expanding their flip line-up in Europe, ShoresGuy? You would think that it wouldn't even considering the European love of candybar style phones. But hey, my personal preference for flips vs candybar style is 60/40 so it doesn't matter to me.

7. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nokia is not following the major flip phone expansion trend. Samsung is releasing 2 or 3 flips every 2 months or so whereas the 6260 and 7200 were the last flips released by Nokia. Sony Ericsson is also quiet on that front, they're concentrating on getting people hooked onto the K500i/K700i/S700i candybar releases.

Motorola has also released the V550 and the first GSM 900/1800/1900/3G UMTS 2100 handset (V980) as well as a number of other flips I don't recall off the top of my head. These handsets are going to all providers with the exception of the V980 which is a Vodafone exclusive for the moment.

8. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    I remember seeing the Motorola V980 on Vodafone Italy's lineup. Thanks for the update!

9. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes that is one impressive handset. I played around with it at a Vodafone shop in Cologne and under Networks, it showed GSM 900/1800, UMTS 2100, GSM 850/1900 and strangely enough even UMTS 1900 if I recall correctly. If that's true, then the phone is a quintband (5) phone :D.

10. dallison

dallison Senior Member

nokia candybar's will prob be more reliable than the flips

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know about that, Nokia has been selling flip phones in Asia for a couple of years & if i remember correctly in European countries as well.

12. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes, Nokia kept on making flips for South Korea namely the Nokia 8587, 8687 and 8887 CDMA models. The latest flips for Europe are the 2650, 6170 and 6260.