Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia, CDMA? I think not

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by DiverDown, Nov 20, 2001.

1. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

I am a Verizon customer who is very happy with his service but board with is excellent, yet feature lacking Timeport P8767. I would really like one of those sharp Nokia's that my friends and associates have but the only new one from Verizon is that 3285 which is a base phone. The 3285 might be nice for some people but for a power user like myself who is on the phone all day, I was hoping perhaps the 7 or 8000 series would come over to CDMA-land. Any secret news about this ever happening please tell me, or at least explain to me why Nokia hates CDMA technology so bad. If I was Nokia, and I could have Verizon as my client, I would jump on the CDMA bandwagon, especially considering that they are the largest wireless company in the USA.

Oh and please don't put under replies that they also have the 5185 series, I know this and thats not what I call a really business savvy phone. To wrap things up, what I am trying to get at is if anyone knows if Nokia plans on making a CDMA phone that I won't see to many 14 year olds at the mall using.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi DiverDown,

Last week I read a news article that I went searching for when I read your post. Wouldn't you know it, when you go looking for something specific, you never find it.

In essence, Nokia is well aware that eventually CDMA (w-CDMA or CDMA2000) will be the technology of choice worldwide. TDMA carriers that are now coverting to GSM are doing so to make the transition to w-CDMA easier. Current CDMA carriers are either going to w-CDMA or CDMA2000, depending on which auhority you listen to this week. (Next week is another story--like a fish out of water, flip, flop, flip.) The news article covered Nokia's agressive plans to become market dominent. It also addressed Nokia's initial failure to enter the market with solid CDMA technology offerings (end-user units, aka phones). Nokia has turned this around and is making key alliances in order to ensure its success in the CDMA market.

Hope that gives you the "warm & fuzzies."

Kevin

3. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

Kevin it does give me a bit of a warm feeling, and as usual your knowledge of wirless technology never ceases to amaze.

P.S. Never can I find what I am looking for when it relates to a particular topic that I have to find via the internet.

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Well yes, the original intent of my "not finding" comment was in reference to web articles, but come to think of it, whether it be an article or my car keys, when I go searching for it, I can never find it. As embarrassing as it is to admit, there have been times when I can't find my glasses and my wife says: They're on top of your head!