Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia and Microsoft together - what will change?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by mhollon, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mhollon

mhollon New Member

Now that Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 will be Nokia's smartphone platform what can we expect from Nokia devices? Nokia is still committed to sell phones with the Symbian platform in the near future. And Nokia said they will launch a MeeGo device this year too. How can they support their near term phones when the announcement about a Microsoft Windows phone platform is their committment in the long term?

2. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    How far can Nokia sink?
    Where is my diamond encrusted Vertu?
    Oh how the mighty have fallen!

3. pyrocat

pyrocat New Member

Windows phones have an extreme defect. No micro SD card slot. Oh, and it's Windows.

I've been waiting to see which Nokia phone to buy, and have decided on the Nokia N8, made in Finland, Symbian, and I can use my micro SD cards from my old N79. I need Nokia phones. They're the only ones that get reception in our cellular 'dead' zone. The Windows phone OS isn't bad, but I like Symbian--yes--and I even live in the US.

I think that outside the US, nobody wants a Windows phone. Nokia, if they're smart, they'll fire Elop, and develop both Meego and Symbian. Both are excellent. Microsoft is moving toward a wacko closed system like Apple, and that's the last thing Nokia needs now [and I used to work for Apple!]

Hi all. First post. Need a new phone. Hoping for a bit of sanity from Nokia.

4. mhollon

mhollon New Member

pyrocat,
    I'm certianly NOT an Apple fanboy. But I have to ackowledge and respect Apple's tremendous success with the iPhone. Help me understand how their closed system is Wacko as you said. Sure it's not as open as Android or others, but clearly many millions of consumers don't care that Apple's iOS is closed. They like it enough to pay for Apple's over-priced devices.

5. mhollon

mhollon New Member

Why the fondness for Meego and Symbian? That's a rare thing.

6. pyrocat

pyrocat New Member

Meego is open source, based on Linux, a full OS with lots of software, very versatile. It's now linked to the Tizen project of the Lunux foundation.

Symbian is a very lean OS. I can do the same things on my Symbian phone as on other phones, except in fewer steps, using less processing power, thus preserving battery charge.

My son gave me his old iPhone [a hand-me-up]. It takes so many extra steps just to use the camera on his phone vs. my phone. Our iPhone/iTouch crash often when using more than one app, and I suspect it's not real multitasking anyway, just links to the previously open apps. Nokia phones have had multitasking for years. All that does to my phone is run down my battery when I forget to close three or four open programs.

I like Android on my hacked Nook Color, but haven't seen Android phones that I like, since I prefer Nokia for its excellent reception in places that are dead zones for most other phones--and most Android phones that I'd consider are too heavy.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello and welcome to WA. I am very much enjoying reading your posts and your points of view.

I am a very happy Android user but would like to venture into a new OS. A forumite friend recommended the N9, In readings the specs and reviews, I have a few concerns that I am hoping you can help me with:

1. Office Documents are read only and no editing is possible.
    2. E-Mail is hard to set up
    3. Speeds are limited to basic 3g.

Thanks much. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pyrocat

pyrocat New Member

Speed depends on network.
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 MHz
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
    4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100

There is no true 4G network since the spec isn't 100% final yet, however LTE is available at 1700 and 2100 MHz AFAIK. Nokia's HSPDA+ [on T-Mobile] ranges from 10-22Mbps [theoretically 84Mbps], certainly fast enough in the US for streaming. I think Verizon has LTE and Sprint both LTE and WiMax which are rated much faster than they deliver.

I live in a "dead" zone for mobile service so I'd be really happy to get something faster than the basic DSL that we have now.

Do you really need to edit Office docs on your phone? Why not use a VPN instead? Or export docs in a more friendly format first.

I view my email on the internet mail sites. I've found that much easier than setting up a mail app. Most mail sites give you the choice to view a mobile or desktop site. This eliminates the bother of setting up a separate mail app with IMAP. Just because you 'can' do something, there's no reason to do that when simpler means are available.

9. jimmyrayjit

jimmyrayjit New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    Hope Nokia and Microsoft both, at the door to write a history. Certainly, both will write a history in gadget field. Technically this new coming device will be strong. Now speed of my heart beat has been increased till this phone will not in my hand.

10. theraven146

theraven146 New Member

Is Nokia trying to join all the available forces and try to wage a war against the present champions - Apple and Samsung? I guess Nokia is down but not out. It is still popular in the Asian countries and is still one of the best mobile brands in its own respect.

I am not sure if joining hands with Windows phones is a great idea although opinions differ. Personally I have never been a fan of the Windows mobile phones. But hold on, Nokia might turn the tides and do wonders to come back to its leading status.

The Lumia series of phones and the recent Nokia 808 PureView are signs of Nokia coming back.

11. nicholson06

nicholson06 New Member

My Phone:
    Well now that both compliment each other, I'd say we will see a come back of the Nokia company once again in the market. I see the revival of the top gadget company again. Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8 is going to rock the gadget market. :)

12. nicholson06

nicholson06 New Member

My Phone:
    I think Apple and Samusng may go down

- - - Updated - - -

I think Apple and Samusng may go down