Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 9290

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by dakman33, Jun 15, 2002.

1. dakman33

dakman33 Junior Member

Does anyone know where i can get an UNLOCKED 9290 for less than $400???

Also, any ideas why they didn't make this a tri-band phone (it's only 1900 GSM/GPRS)??

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It's actually not GPRS compatible -- nor will it ever be.

3. dakman33

dakman33 Junior Member

Holy crap!!! Why would Nokia make such a cool looking and/or functioning phone with a chat-board and NOT make it GPRS??? Is it 3G ready??? or am I just not getting the point here..I thought for sure that until 3G actually launches here, that every phone to come out, would be GPRS???

4. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know.. how retarded is THAT? It's not 3g, obviously, it doesn't even do GPRS! It claims it can do Flash, but why on EARTH would you want to download flash at 9.6kbit/sec? Ugh, talk about slow and annoying! I think Nokia really dropped the ball on this one.
    Here's a link to the full specs on it if anyone's interested (note the GSM 1900 only and "data speed up to 14,400 bps ready)

Nokia Communicator 9290

Shame shame Nokia! [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dakman33

dakman33 Junior Member

Thanks for the link..Wow!! They blew it!! This would have been great LAST year and they probably were trying to get it out then and had delays. That's the only way to explain this.. It's not even Tri-band so for the MSRP price of $400, there is NO way that they're going to be able to sell these. Heck, that's just about twice as much as the GPRS T61!!
    Well, it looks like the underdog (Ericsson), after adding a big "S" in front of their name (Sony), has finally, at least for now, taken down the big boy and evened out the playing field some..We get the newest T68 in two weeks (or so), with Cingular you really never know for sure, but I think so because Ericsson is hosting "invite-only" launch parties all over the place (Seattle next week). I talked with a rep at the Special Olympic launch, and she said Ericsson was going to be giving out free Blue tooth hands free kits at the launches!!
    I find it still a little surprising to say this, but I don't think I'll EVER go back to Nokia.....(Now the only question...What am i going to do with all these Nokia accessories?????)
    P.S. Anyone want to buy a 3395 barely used???

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The reason it doesn't have GPRS is the fact that tha Euro version, the 9210, was announced in late 2000, and shipped in June 2001. The 9290 wasn't even announced until June and since it is basically the same as the 9210, it is really based on late 2000 technology, before Nokia released their first GPRS phone the 8310

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dakman33

dakman33 Junior Member

Any idea if there are plans to re-vamp this phone and re-release it?

8. P11

P11 New Member

Nokia told me they are coming out with new communicator in 2003. Will support xp. Thats all they told me.