Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 8290 w/stuck MWI - Cingular Service

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by engineer2001, Feb 2, 2005.

1. engineer2001

engineer2001 New Member

Hello.

My brother gave me his Nokia 8290 that he used to use with Voicestream way back when, and I switched from my LG G4010 (didn't know I hate flip phones) to it last week - called Cingular and they changed my IMEI in their system to the new one, popped in my old SIM, and bam. It works great, but everytime I get a voicemail, the message waiting indicator comes on and will not go off. I can get rid of it by switching back to my bro's old Voicestream SIM, then back to mine. It comes on everytime and will not go off everytime, though. Cingular "submitted a work order" or something to see if it was on their end, but apparently it's not. I have an FBUS/MBUS cable for the phone. Is there some setting I need to change, or something?

Any help will be appreciated!

2. engineer2001

engineer2001 New Member

Does anyone have any idea at all how to get the MWI to go away after all calls are checked? I do use the 9 to end call option and wait for the system to hang up, so that's not it. Any help at all?

3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Not sure if this will help but on my Nokia 6230 I have to end by **, and then it says "goodbye". It might not hurt to try it on yours.

HTH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. engineer2001

engineer2001 New Member

Thanks for the info. I tried it, but the Cingular voicemail system says it doesn't recognize that command when I press *. The only option to exit is 9, then it states that I have no messages and says "Goodbye!"

I guess I'll just keep resetting the phone using the old Voicestream SIM or not ever know if I have a voicemail waiting. It's still better than the junky LG G4010 I have, even with the stuck MWI. The LG got horrible reception, made loud "pow!" noises in my ear every now and then, and I was always hitting the stupid buttons on the side and putting it in vibrate mode without knowing it. There's no way to lock them, so everytime I sat down or stood up with it in my pocket, it would get pressed. Plus, the headset port on top produced barely audible sounds with any handsfree I used (and I tried alot of them). I refuse to buy a booster just so a handsfree will work. The Nokia 8290 is loud and clear. Anyway... sorry to go off on a tangent. I just wish I could get this MWI to work right. Thanks for the help.