Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 8260 problems

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by dyld, Jan 15, 2002.

1. dyld

dyld New Member

I have a Nokia 8260 on AT&T Wireless in the Twin Cities, MN.

I have the profile set to have all keypad tones off.

When ever I receive a voice message, and then retreive it, the function key tones get turned on by themselves, even though the profile settings haven't changed!

AT&T says it is a Nokia problem. After taking the phone into Nokia repair (which has an office in the Twin Cities) 3 times they proced to tell me that that is the way the phone operates?

Is that the way the 8260 operates?

2. zippy

zippy New Member

3. zippy

zippy New Member

I'm in the twin cities, have the same carrier, and same model phone - I suppose your's is RED too?!?

I get the same results you did - seems like a programming error by Nokia to me.

I noticed that the Profile Settings are NOT ignored if you avoid using one-key dialup or other pre-programed paths into your Voice Mailbox. Calling from another phone will obviously avoid the problem too. A viable workaround would be to keep your own cell phone number in your regular phone list, and use that for checking messages...

Does anyone out there know how easy (or hard) it is to fix programming bugs in cell phones? Is the code burned into a chip, or could Nokia update the code if they wanted to issue a "patch"?

Might want to contact Nokia to let them know of the issue - at least maybe they won't make the same error again.

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I thas been reported in the past that Nokia isn't proactive in the firmware upgrade department.

I would suggest to both of you that you go to an ATT store (company owned) and ask them about firmware updates or see if there is something they need to do in their database definition file for the phone. I also have ATT, but on the West Coast, and I just recently got the Panasonic Allure. I discovered that sending emails to it using phone#@mobile.att.net didn't work. After several calls and a few hours later, I finally got a tech that knew his stuff and determined that it was a mis-definition in their database for my make/model that prevented it from working correctly. Once they corrected that, the phone worked as expected.

Kevin

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually it is Blue, but it's good to know I'm not alone with this and thanks for the work around.

6. dyld

dyld New Member

Actually it is Blue, but it's good to know I'm not alone with this and thanks for the work around. I did take it into AT&T earlier and they just looked at me funny...

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Well tell me what your overall opinion of at&t in the twin cities is.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dyld

dyld New Member

Overall, AT&T is 7.5/10

I've had good signal strength (3+ bars on on the signal meter) not just inside 494/694 loop but down towards Owatonna and Mankato. Very few dropped calls and good clarity.

I have had in my home a signal from 1 to full depending on what room I'm in, but who hasn't.

As for price, AT&T is a little spendy and they don't include Iowa or the Dakotas on the Regional plan. But unlike Sprint or Voicestream, I can go into outstate Minnesota and not have to pay roaming, which I like.

9. zippy

zippy New Member

I would agree with Dyld on rating AT&T in the Twin Cities - No real complaints with AT&T thus far. I've had very similar performance experience.

I'll be traveling way up North fairly soon - as far as Ely and the BWCA, and I'll be interested in where I do (and don't) find decent coverage. I'll let you know what I find out if you're interested.[​IMG]