Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 8260 [Cingular] in Atlanta

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by ATLguy, Apr 27, 2002.

1. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

This message probably belongs in another forum, but I'll try it here first in hopes of a quick resolution.

I currently have wireless service with Cingular and my "home" area is in Atlanta, Georgia. For the past few months -- and several times a day -- I've had a problem with placing outgoing phone calls. I'll place a call and the receiving party's phone will ring. When they pick up, however, they hear nothing but dead air. Furthermore, I don't even hear the phone ringing ... it's dead air (and a little echo) from the moment I hit the send button. The problem happens regularly, but cannot be repeated "on demand" and happens when calling both landline and cellular phones.

I'm almost positive that this is a service issue, but technical support is telling me it's a phone problem. The zinger is that they are telling me this despite the fact that I am now on my 4th brand new Nokia 8260.

If it is a handset problem, the problem must be more widespread -- it's unlikely that I'm the only person who has gone through 4 phones and complained about this issue.

Is anyone else out there experiencing these kind of problems and/or know what the problem could be? The service is TDMA and I am getting the problems in the downtown Atlanta area -- that means my phone is fully charged and has full signal strength.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    ATLguy,

Since you & I are the only two registered users on, I can only tell you that I also have TDMA service (but through ATT). I have heard of symptoms like yours and it usually is the handset. At this point, I would recommend trying another brand. (I've used the phone you mentioned without any problems.)

kev

3. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    << For the past few months -- and several times a day -- I've had a problem with placing outgoing phone calls. I'll place a call and the receiving party's phone will ring. When they pick up, however, they hear nothing but dead air. Furthermore, I don't even hear the phone ringing ... it's dead air (and a little echo) from the moment I hit the send button. >>

Assuming this only happens in one area, this sounds like a tower issue -- I've had it happen with Verizon every once in a while.

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I've been able to rule out the "tower issue" since it happens all over downtown, midtown and even in the suburbs of Atlanta. The disappointing thing is that if it is a brand/model issue (meaning it's the Nokia 8260 with Cingular service) then I'm really out of luck -- the 8260 is the smallest, antenna-less phone available from Cingular and I absolutely love the Nokia menu structure and interactive features.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Motorola V60 and Nokia 8260 models? The V60t is the only other model that I would consider from Cingular. I've heard mixed reviews and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had experiences with both models.

Thanks!
    ATLguy

5. JBradM

JBradM Junior Member

ATlguy,
    Finally someone is having the same problem that I have had!! I honestly know how you feel......sorry to hear that about your phone! TWO WORDS JUNK IT! I went through 3 Nokia 8260 with the same exact problem! I would be on the phone with people and out of nowhere they would not be able to hear me but I could hear them perfectly and I would look at my receiption and it would be on full! Battery was full! In a clear area on a major highway that I had never had trouble before! I called customer service and the first thing they asked me was how many bars I had on my service! When I told them full they were like you didnt have it on mute! Well they said it was a defective phone so I got another, and then it started up again and then another, and then finally on the 3rd one they did a trouble ticket on my phone and I thought it has to be the service! Maybe it was maybe it wasnt.......but they couldnt find anything wrong with the towers so I found a rep that swaped it for a Ericsson T60d! I LOVE IT, havent had the problem to happen at all KNOCK ON WOOD! I would hesitant to buy a ericsson jsut for some reason they have a bad rep.......but now sony is in with them so hopefully they are making top notch products! So far so good! I am sure the motorola and others are good phones but I just know what I have and I LOVE IT! So definatly junk the 8260 and get ya a knew one!

Brad
    DEATH TO 8260

Excuse the spelling errors! lol