Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 8260 (AT&T) only works while in extended area or roaming

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nokia 8260 (AT&T) only works while in extended area or roaming

My 8260 is having some problems connecting while in the AT&T home calling area. When my phone says AT&T, I can't make or receive calls. There are some exceptions to this, but they are rare. When my phone is in "extended area" or roaming, it works like a charm.

All AT&T customer reps would say is, "your phone is broken". A couple even told me that Nokia phones are designed to only last 1 or 2 years at the most. None were even willing to entertain the idea that something became misconfigured. They just wanted to make a sale.

Amazon.com was nice enough to suggest that I call Nokia before buying a new phone. Imagine that, a company with ethical business practices. Nokia agreed that it didn't seem like a phone failure. But since my phone is out of warranty, I would have to pay to have them take a look at it. So I've given up and bought a V60 from Amazon. Of course I can always return the phone within the 30 day window.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    In that you now have another phone and "have given up" (presumably on the 8260), I am not sure what you want an answer to. Do you still want to pursue the 8260 solution?

3. Justin333

Justin333 New Member

Yeah, I'd still like to solve it if possible. I can always return the new phone.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What area are you in? It sounds like a misconfiguration. Depending on the area where you are, the 8260 may pickup one carrier or another that AT&T has no agreement with and hence you can't make/receive calls. I believe its all a matter of programming the right numbers in the phone so that it connects to the correct tower. Even though the phone says AT&T, it may not be AT&T signal because the phone may be confused when the wrong values are entered in the programming. Your local AT&T dealer should be able to help you with that or you can hunt around the Internet for the proper codes for your area. Also, if you are lucky enough to get in touch with a knowledgeable rep at AT&T they can help you step-by-step with that. Just call them several times until you get someone who knows what they are talking about. You need to enter the correct Home SID and Home SOC in the phone.

To see the current SID and SOC values enter *3001#12345# in the phone. Then select NAM1. You will see your Home System ID (SID) and the current value. Use the arrow down for the SOC value. To change one of these values press Select. When you finish and want to go back to normal operating mode, power off the phone and back on. If you know someone with AT&T and with a Nokia phone you can use this same procedure to find the correct SID and SOC values no matter what Nokia model they have as long as they are with AT&T and their phone is programmed for your area.

There's a small area in Connecticut where I used to have that problem but I turned the phone off and on and the problem was gone. But that was with a Motorola phone I used to have before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    try the new nokia the 6360

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

AT&T burns the SOC into memory, sounds like you have a more complicated problem. As for SID, try 4165, that's pretty universal.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Maybe the problem is that Justin is in a region of the home area that is covered by an AT&T partner and not AT&T itself. He should try powering the phone off/on. It sounds like the phone is getting confused and its connecting to the wrong tower.
    The SID tells the phone that when the SID of the tower matches the one stored on the phone it should display "home" or turn off the roaming indicator. You have to enter the correct SID for your area although I don't think that entering the wrong SID will create any problems making or receiving calls except that the phone will show what is not supposed to on the screen sometimes. As for the SOC, I've been able to change it in the nokia phones that I've had and they are AT&T branded. The SOC tells the phone which company it belongs to. For AT&T, the SOC in the US should be 2049.

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile