Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 8250... any service in USA for it?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Fragger, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Fragger

Fragger New Member

Hello guys. I'm out of US, right now, and thinking of getting a Nokia 8250, available only in Asia. It is a GSM 1900 phone. I was wondering if there are any providers for it in the USA, in the New York and Pennsylvania area, if so, please tell me who they are. Also, what is the proceedure, if you provide your own phone in USA, to get a service, there isn't a service lock, is there? Any no contracts, right? Please give me the details on this. Thanks in advance!

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The 8250 won't work in the USA. It is GSM 900/1800.

8250 info

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Who is the provider for that phone over there? If you want to stick with GSM, Voicestream Wireless is the best GSM provider here in the USA. Matt (the poster above), and I both have Voicestream. I like them, and I'm sure he likes them too, but he will tell you about that. There is a similar phone call the 8290 that is available in the USA. It's the same series model, mut your may be more advanced. But like Matt said, their is no place for it here in the USA.

Deutsch Telecom (T-Mobile) is the company that owns Voicestream, so if you get one of their phones, than you can use it in the USA with Voicestream. You have to make sure you get a tri-band phone though (1900/1800/800).

4. Fragger

Fragger New Member

Guys, are you sure there is NO provider. I think it's a GSM 1900 or something. Thanks again!

5. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Like Matt said...it's GSM 900/1800.

You need GSM 1900 to work in the States....sorry.

Here's another link from CNet Wireless Asia that verify's this.

6. Fragger

Fragger New Member

Thanks. I guess it's my bad luck, I really loved that phone! Thanks again!

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Is it not interesting that they make some of the best phones for overseas only.

I was looking at hte sony/erisson page and there nicer models are only for overseas

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Yep; That T68/T68i is for the USA, and Voicestream is suppose to be getting the T68 within one month.
    I saw on one of the Cingular press releases that they are GETTING it aswell, you know, with all of the other stuff that they are GETTING. Maybe that will be after they GET their GSM coverage together, and then GET their GPRS released. GET, GET, GET; Wow that seems to be the magic word here. Well certainly seem to have the money to spend, it seems. They are throwing 700 million here, 750 million there, 450 million over there. That adds up.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

DONT FROWN, I HAVE THE FAMOUS 8250 AND IM WITH VOICESTREAM. I BOUGHT IT IN HONGKONG (UNLOCKED) AND ITS WORKING FINE.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

BUY THE AWESOME PHONE. I BOUGHT MINE IN THE PHILIPPINES UNLOCKED. I JUST TOOK THE RISKS CAUSE THESE PHONE IS SO IRESSISTABLE AND IT FREAKIN WORKED!!!!! I LIVE IN MANHATTAN AND MY SERVICE PROVIDER IS VOICESTREAM. THEYRE SELLING IT TOO HERE ALREADY IN QUEENS- HONGKONG SUPERMARKET (IN ELMHURST) FOR $350 W/O LINE AND $150 WITH LINE. FOR SOME STRANGE REASONS I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT WORKED HERE IN US. ENJOY THE BLU LITE!!!

11. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

Any particular reason why 1900 mhz was chosen as the band of choice for USA GSM? Why was 900/1800 overlooked?

12. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Probably government reasons.....the only place in the USA that I know has 900 and/or 1800 is in DC because of the many foreign diplomats there.

13. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    FCC assigns frequency useage.

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Kevin

If it is not compatable with us systems then how are the posters getting the phones activated

Jack

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    << Probably government reasons.....the only place in the USA that I know has 900 and/or 1800 is in DC because of the many foreign diplomats there. >>

I'm pretty sure that is a rumor......it certainly doesn't exist now......there has been GSM 1900 here since 1995, and tribands have been available for a long time.

900 was taken by cordless phones....

The 8250 does NOT work in the USA. Once again here's the press release about the phone direct from Nokia:

link

<< High on personalisation options, this dual band GSM 900/1800 with EGSM (Extended GSM) 900 phone also supports downloadable personal profiles such as screen savers, ringing tones, profile names and voice dialing. >>