Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6340i & Cingular smartcard region compatibility

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Owl, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

A year or so ago I bought a used Nokia 6340i. I bought a new sim card randomly from ebay and it worked fine. I lost the phone.
    I have just acquired another 6340i. It came with a used 32k Cingular sim card (SKU 62095,#89014101060061404072). Cingular told me I could not use it and needed to get a new one for $25.
    I bought a new Cingular 64k smartchip (SKU 63513, #89014101100183390245) on ebayfor much cheaper and was told by a Cingular rep that it would not work in my area (W. Massachusetts) only in Arkansas. He also said that Cingular would give me free a new sim card if I went to a corporate store.

So far, I am obviously learning things by trial and error. Until now, that is, hopefully, after discovering this forum.
    QUESTIONS:
    How much of what I have been told matches your experience?
    How do I make sure I get the right sim card if I buy one on ebay? Does anyone know the correct numbers?
    Do i want a 32k or 64k?
    Thanks,

2. Owl

Owl New Member

I have answered my own questions today, it would seem.
    Sorry it's a bit long-winded but it really goes to show how a second or a seventh opinion isn't enough. (Which is why there is forum. Right?)

After talking with several Cingular reps in stores today, I discovered that I would still need to buy a 32k SIM card for the 6340i; that the 64k smartchip was not compatible. Also I heard that when I start the new plan (for rollover and free mobile to mobile) I would only be able to use the GSM side of the GAIT.

So I pretty much resigned myself to either using my newly aquired GAIT phone for just GSM or getting the upgrade I was due for and reselling the GAIT + the batch of Arkansas SIMS.

I held off and CHECKED THE FORUM AGAIN.
    I was encouraged by stories that seemed to contradict things I had heard, like 64k SIMS working in 6340i's and existing GAIT users being grandfathered in to the new GSM plan.

SO I CALLED CINGULAR AGAIN. Twice. The first rep CONFIRMED that the 64K SIMS I had were registered for the northeast (though it was just Arkansas the day before).
    The second rep then CONFIRMED that not only could I activate my GAIT phone on the GAIT network, I could have the new plan AND....get this....she thought there was a good chance i could use the 64k chip. We fired it all up and BINGO.......I HIT THE JACKPOT. 6340i working great.

Though I had no direct replies, the forum helped a great deal. Thank you.

3. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Glad to hear you got it working with only a couple of tries. Some people haven't been so lucky. I am one of the GAIT users "grandfathered" into the GSM pricing plan and use a 64K SIM since I lost my 32K in the V400 that fell out of my pocket while riding quads. Post any further issues you may have and hopefully someone can help you out. BTW, the phone should read "Cingular" on any GSM carrier, so if the phone reads "Cingular Extend", that means you are using TDMA or AMPS. To check while in a call, it will say "Hold" on the right soft key if GSM and "Mute" if in TDMA/AMPS.

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Owl,

I glad that this worked out for you. It also shows the value of search the forums for answers to questions that have already been discussed.

Is the main reason for buying a SIM on ebay (versus through Cingular) to avoid the $25 fee? The SIM you get from ebay is blank (no phone number, unactivated)? What then, you go to a Cing store and have it reset to your existing phone number?

Once I have been charged for a SIM, but twice I was given a new one during a phone upgrade, and once when it was fried. Both for free.

I see a lot of ads on ebay for Cingular SIMS, and I wonder what the value is.

I, too, was grandfathered from GAIT.

5. Owl

Owl New Member

Hi Viewfly,
    Thanks for the word.
    Depending on the State, Cingular sells its SIMs, for $20-$25
    SIMs go on ebay from $1 to about $12 plus shipping. Sometimes the sellers include some of their revenue in the shipping fee. I'd decided that $7-$10 including shipping was a reasonable price for a new chip.
    Some people are buying used SIMs for a buck or 2. I have no idea why since the cards, once activated, are dedicated to one phone number.
    I have heard that Cingular will replace SIMs for free at the place of purchase. of course there is no charge for a SIM when you upgrade phones, should you not want to take your old SIM (and info) with you.
    I activated my new SIM over the phone.
    Owl

6. push

push New Member

I would love to get my hands on a Gait sim card for the 6340i I have a TDMA/GSM plan with rollover in Florida.

Any ideas?

Push

7. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I don't understand. You already have a TDMA/GSM plan? What type of SIM and phone do you have now, or have been using?

If you already have a 32K SIM that you have been using for TDMA/GSM, you should be all set, but need to have Cingular Customer service activate your phone for the TDMA portion.