Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nokia 6340i and Cingular

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by hurler, Jan 12, 2005.

1. hurler

hurler New Member

I am trying to navigate the AT&T/Cingular whirlpool and consolidate two accounts without losing the Handsfree equipment and install ($500) that is less than 18 months old.

I can do this if a Nokia 6340i will work in Zip Code 97223 on the Cingular GSM network, but............

1. A check on an Ebay auction site link for a new 6340i says it won't work.
    2. But, the local Cingular store gave me some criteria that the 6340i appears to meet: GSM and ability to deal with a 64K SIM.
    3. Nokia and others say the 6340i is Cingular compatible, but I guess (?) it depends on the local network (???yes???no???)

So, my question is can anyone tell me if a 6340i phone will work in 97223?

Thanks for sticking with this posting to the bottom, you are a God to me.

Wayne

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I don't know, but I can verify that a 64K sim works in a 6340i in CT. Last October, Cingular allowed these GAIT phones (6340i) on the GSM plans. But I can't speak for your zip code. Use the 30 day trial. Regarding your car install, only the holder and Pop port (for the antenna) changes. That can't be too expensive to replace.

3. bonesb

bonesb New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    A quick, albeit partial, response. I use a 6340i in Portland on the GSM network and am happy with both it and Cingular's reception in the NW with it - I live in SE near the Ross Island Bridge. The phone has a new 64k SIM in it - provided by Cingular when I migrated from AT&T. The phone also worked well with the Blue AT&T 16k SIM that I had in another Nokia (on an AT&T plan).

I have, however, had no success getting GAIT activated in Portland - three TS reps have told me that I must have a 32k Cingular SIM to get GAIT service in Portland (or much of the NW, for that matter). Briefly, I was informed that Cingular never offered GAIT in our market, however, AT&T did, and the current system (in much of the NW) will not allow switching (in GAIT phones) as in the rest of the country. Part of the issue lies in that the 64k SIM will not allow for manual network selection by default (or Cingular won't activate the option...), but the 32k SIMs will. Get one, I was told, and they'd get me set up for GAIT - if I lived anywhere that offered GAIT, it wouldn't be such a hassle.

I'm going to try to get a 32k SIM soon and post a follow up.

4. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    I am having all the same problems as these two. It is very frustrating!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bonesb

bonesb New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    OK, here's my follow up after a little more research and one more call to a TSR - and it doesn't have a positive resolution. :censored:

The TSR informed me that the 64k SIM does have GAIT capability and looked into getting it activated, that the 32k "stuff" passed on to me is not correct. He hit a roadblock and talked to a GAIT-trained rep and a manager. GAIT for new Cingular plans on the west coast is not an option anymore - period. He went on to relate that the manager called in and was told that there was little interest in GAIT on the west coast when it was promoted or since, which led to the demise of GAIT. Existing Cingular customers that had a GAIT plan can be grandfathered in (anywhere), though it might be a pain to get activated. He was kind enough to relate that I could try to get a plan on the east coast or somewhere GAIT was offered, though I'd likely have to show proof of residency...

So, at this writing, it appears that my purchase of a 6340i was a waste of time and money - at least for getting GAIT to work in Oregon or Washington. When I visited a local store, the CSR did show me the screen showing me activation options - the GAIT checkbox was grayed out, which confirmed what the TSR related to me. I'm out of options for getting the 6340i up and working on both GSM and TDMA networks.

6. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    bonesb:
    I had the exact same conversation this morning with a rep. See my comments in this thread

Since we both got these answers today, I'm guessing GAIT is on it's way out. You will see I tried multiple times to talk with different people at Cingular. Oh well, we both gave it a good shot!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bonesb

bonesb New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    And, another thing - the saga continues...

Just out the door (to a rural area, no less) - Cingular called me again. (To set this up, I called CS to migrate back to a TDMA phone or move to Verizon and was asked why. Deep breath, and away I went.) She related that one must have a localized 32k SIM for the (west coast) market you live in. For me, in Portland, I have to have a 32k card from the Seattle or Spokane market. The 32k cards can be overwritten out here - AT&T has to do it and their equipment can't write back to the 64k cards in the west coast market. Cingular's CS? They're even calling their original stores in those two markets for me to locate one card - I've found one source. hurler - get in touch with me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch (there's nothing in it for me - you two can deal directly with me and I found him on my own. az - I'll be sure to fill you in - gotta run!

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Az: Sorry that it didn't work out for you, but it was a gamble. I was grandfathered into GAIT, and I tried to make it clear that what worked for me , may not be the case for you. But you have a back up phone, and I would guess, in a E911 situation, even without a SIM, you will get through with analog/TDMA/GSM.

In my area, which includes very rural, hilly terrain, I haven't any need to go back to GAIT. The GSM overlay is very good. GAIT was good for what it was, but the need is fading and will end over time.

9. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I am sorry that it didn't work as well. I am going to try to sell the phone here and on Ebay and see if I can recoup my costs. I like the idea of a backup phone, but I have an old Samsung E105 that works on 1900 just fine if I need it.

You are right that there will come a time when we won't need GAIT any longer. That time will hopefully be soon!

10. bonesb

bonesb New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    It's a done deal...

Cingular won't activate a 32k SIM in Oregon or a GAIT phone. My 6340i will be on eBay in short order as well (with an unactivated 32k SIM that will work in California or the Washington/Idaho Cingular markets. Back to TDMA for me 'til next year. :mad:

11. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: It's a done deal...

I'm not sure why, but my 6340i hasn't gotten any bids yet and the auction ends tomorrow. I think there may be too many of them out there for sale right now. Oh well, the auction ends tomorrow, guess we'll see if anyone wants to bid as we get close to the end!

12. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    I live in Indiana and have had a GAIT plan for about 1 1/2 years. Cingular no longer offers any new GAIT service that I am aware of and hasn't for many months now. I was in a Cingular company store yesterday and was told they are going to let GAIT die. They don't want to have to support 2 types of equipment at the tower sites. All new towers are GSM. All current and future plans will be GSM.